When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

One of a kind Mini Fiddy Stealth Homage

JohnG

A couple of months ago after buying a couple of watches from Getatwatch Co., I decided I wanted to finally try to do a custom watch, a Panerai homage, something not too complicated but that would be unique. One of the huge attractions of homage watches is that one may create designs that the gen manufacturers never produced; in essence sterile "fantasy" watches. The Pam homages lend themselves especially to this because they are rather simple to work on and parts are very easy to acquire.

GetatWatch recently started producing a sterile "stealth" dial with glossy black numerals that contract very subtly with the mat black dial, at time visible, at times not, depending on the angle of illumination. I bought a PVD Radiomir homage (reviewed here: ) from Getat with this dial and I immediately saw the potential that this dial would have in other cases.

Imagen083.jpg

I subsequently purchased another Radiomir homage, polished SS, also with the same dial. Again, the watch was simply stunning.

Imagen011.jpg

About this time I placed the orders for parts that would become my new, one of kind, mini Fiddy homage, as follows:

44mm Mini Fiddy case set with sterile case back - Jackson Tse.

PVD Asian 6497 - GetatWatch

"Stealth" dial, all black - Getatwatch

Handset, silver - Getatwatch

Black Poseidon Strap, white stiching - Heroic 18 (purchased from RepGeek member Eddiemonster)

Polished SS Pre-V buckle - Strap Culture (purchased from RWG.cc member Siesta181).

I had no sooner got the pieces together then the crystal exploded on the watch in the middle of the night. I had to order another from Jackson Tse, along with a crystal press from an eBay seller, and another two weeks went by.... but this week finally the crystal and press arrived and finally the watch is on my wrist.... Enough talk, here are some pics - of the first watch I have ever assembled:

Imagen043.jpg

Imagen031.jpg

Imagen064.jpg

Ohhh SH!T!!!

SDC10008.jpg

No dies big enough for the 44mm case, had to get creative with the movement holder...

SDC10018.jpg

Took the opportunity to swap from gold (my original choice) to silver hands - with the black Heroic strap monochrome looks better...

SDC10022.jpg

SDC10044.jpg

SDC10049.jpg

PVD movement from GetatWatch....

SDC10063.jpg

SDC10057.jpg

SDC10064.jpg

SDC10036.jpg

SDC10071.jpg

SDC10070.jpg

So there it is, my one of a kind sterile stealth dial mini Fiddy homage...

• Like 1

Looks so damn good, you could even wear it backwards... I am still surprised at how good that case from GetatWatch looks!

Can you believe that case costs $30 shipped from Jackson Tse!!!??? Unreal. The only disappointment is that he doesn't sell a sapphire crystal for it and I have heard that the sapphire from other mini Fiddy cases doesn't fit. But at $10 shipped for a replacement crystal I am not going to sweat it...

nice job! I wondered what sort of equipments I wud need to conduct such mods myself. Since I do not want to mess up with my high end reps maybe its good to start with cheaper ones as you did. where did you acquired all the tool e.g. screws, opener (47mm and 44mm) etc. I wud be very delighted if you could supply me the list of the equipment I need. Moreover, your blacked dial looks incredible cool but the downside is that you will not be able to lume them right?

I am trying to build my mini fiddy too. I am going to use the following components:

-jacksen tse mini fiddy case PVD edition (35usd)

-Getatwatch hands lumed (black hands and white sec)(9usd)

-Getatwatch asian movement PVD skeleton (49usd)

-Getatwatch stealth dial (12usd)

-strapculture legend black and heoric supmarine pvd buckle (90+55 usd)

The only thing I dislike is the mineralglas. As seen in your pics it is prone to selfdestruction. I am trying to source a domed sapphire or might even opt for plexiglas. Any pointers as of where I could find those?

nice job! I wondered what sort of equipments I wud need to conduct such mods myself. Since I do not want to mess up with my high end reps maybe its good to start with cheaper ones as you did. where did you acquired all the tool e.g. screws, opener (47mm and 44mm) etc. I wud be very delighted if you could supply me the list of the equipment I need. Moreover, your blacked dial looks incredible cool but the downside is that you will not be able to lume them right?

I am trying to build my mini fiddy too. I am going to use the following components:

-jacksen tse mini fiddy case PVD edition (35usd)

-Getatwatch hands lumed (black hands and white sec)(9usd)

-Getatwatch asian movement PVD skeleton (49usd)

-Getatwatch stealth dial (12usd)

-strapculture legend black and heoric supmarine pvd buckle (90+55 usd)

The only thing I dislike is the mineralglas. As seen in your pics it is prone to selfdestruction. I am trying to source a domed sapphire or might even opt for plexiglas. Any pointers as of where I could find those?

I am not aware of a sapphire or plexi domed crystal that will fit Jackson's case, but that doesn't mean there aren't any. But I have read that others won't fit.

There are techniques for creating black lume, but it has a mat finish, and I like the black glossy numerals so I will only lume the hands later.

The tools I used were (aside from the crystal press), tweezers, screw driver set, hand puller/setting tools, blower thingy (for dust), Rodico (for dust on dial), movement holder, sticky ball caseback remover, and I think that is about it for what I did. I have bought more tools but I think that is what I used for this job. You can get tools on eBay for cheap. I bought all mine from Hong Kong sellers - you can get a whole set of tools for about $30, but you will have to get a few extra things (such as tools for removing/setting hands)...

Good luck!

I am not aware of a sapphire or plexi domed crystal that will fit Jackson's case, but that doesn't mean there aren't any. But I have read that others won't fit.

There are techniques for creating black lume, but it has a mat finish, and I like the black glossy numerals so I will only lume the hands later.

The tools I used were (aside from the crystal press), tweezers, screw driver set, hand puller/setting tools, blower thingy (for dust), Rodico (for dust on dial), movement holder, sticky ball caseback remover, and I think that is about it for what I did. I have bought more tools but I think that is what I used for this job. You can get tools on eBay for cheap. I bought all mine from Hong Kong sellers - you can get a whole set of tools for about $30, but you will have to get a few extra things (such as tools for removing/setting hands)...

Good luck!

hi John,

I think I found the ebayer you got your tools from. I wud appreciate if you could take the time to copy and paste the links of the items I require. I am a noob in terms of modding and dont know anything about the tools I need beside of opener and screwdriver :) Again thx for your inspiration.

hi John,

I think I found the ebayer you got your tools from. I wud appreciate if you could take the time to copy and paste the links of the items I require. I am a noob in terms of modding and dont know anything about the tools I need beside of opener and screwdriver :) Again thx for your inspiration.

There are many ebay sellers offering inexpensive watch tools.

I don't remember who all I bought what from, don't have time to check, and it doesn't matter - they are all pretty much the same. But you need

1. caseback opener (I use a sticky ball I got from Jackson Tse)

2. tweezers (anti-magnetic)

3. set of watchmaker's screwdrivers

4. hand puller

5. hand setters (some sellers sell them together with puller, some do not)

6. dust blower (little rubber squeeze ball)

7. Rodico (putty for tack-cleaning dial to get dust off)

8. Wire cutter or pliers with wire cutter, to size stem.

I think that is it for this project, if anyone else can think of anything else, chime in...

Be sure to read up in the tutorials section on how to do this stuff, it isn't hard, but I would have made mistakes if I hand't read tutorials first... As it is, I messed up the keyless works (didn't realize the new movement came with the screw already out, I turned it out more and out fell some parts!). I used information from the forums to fix that and to get the watch together, and to replace the broken crystal. All the info you need is here but you have to invest some time reading....

Edited by JohnG

There are many ebay sellers offering inexpensive watch tools.

I don't remember who all I bought what from, don't have time to check, and it doesn't matter - they are all pretty much the same. But you need

1. caseback opener (I use a sticky ball I got from Jackson Tse)

2. tweezers (anti-magnetic)

3. set of watchmaker's screwdrivers

4. hand puller

5. hand setters (some sellers sell them together with puller, some do not)

6. dust blower (little rubber squeeze ball)

7. Rodico (putty for tack-cleaning dial to get dust off)

8. Wire cutter or pliers with wire cutter, to size stem.

I think that is it for this project, if anyone else can think of anything else, chime in...

Be sure to read up in the tutorials section on how to do this stuff, it isn't hard, but I would have made mistakes if I hand't read tutorials first... As it is, I messed up the keyless works (didn't realize the new movement came with the screw already out, I turned it out more and out fell some parts!). I used information from the forums to fix that and to get the watch together, and to replace the broken crystal. All the info you need is here but you have to invest some time reading....

thank you for providing me such a comprehensive tools list. will get back to you once my forthcoming project is completed.

John that realy is an amazing looking first ever project! I can't belive how well that turned out.

For those of you wanting bits for a Pam project you realy can't go past Getat and Jackson. Both are great dealers who actualy listen to what their customers want. Getat even do a six position test on the timer for every watch they send out. Have a looky at the thread in his section at RWG1.1 HERE. John has also talked him into using X10 lume on all new watches (starting soon) so they will have THE best lume of any homage/rep around.

Both of them are real good dealers who speak and understand english as well as I do and are good comunicators who answer any and all questions posed to them. For parts and dials you can't go past Jackson's prices. Sterile dials, $10, same price for a Pam CG and screws! I forget what those PVD MVTs are but it's crazy cheap. Getat has some of the best straps you have seen and by far the best on any homage/rep out of the box. The strap is worth the price of his watches, no kid.

Col.

John that realy is an amazing looking first ever project! I can't belive how well that turned out.

For those of you wanting bits for a Pam project you realy can't go past Getat and Jackson. Both are great dealers who actualy listen to what their customers want. Getat even do a six position test on the timer for every watch they send out. Have a looky at the thread in his section at RWG1.1 HERE. John has also talked him into using X10 lume on all new watches (starting soon) so they will have THE best lume of any homage/rep around.

Both of them are real good dealers who speak and understand english as well as I do and are good comunicators who answer any and all questions posed to them. For parts and dials you can't go past Jackson's prices. Sterile dials, $10, same price for a Pam CG and screws! I forget what those PVD MVTs are but it's crazy cheap. Getat has some of the best straps you have seen and by far the best on any homage/rep out of the box. The strap is worth the price of his watches, no kid.

Col.

+1, both these guys are tops! The PVD movement is $40 Col! Like you said, very inexpensive. And yeah, Tat will be offering v10 Glowinc lume on his dials soon, the pics he sent me look AMAZING!

damn if i had the money i would definitely buy one like this, these are awsome watches

You can get the Radiomir homage, 45mm, with this dial and a NICE strap from Getatwatch for $89 plus shipping. It is also a REALLY nice watch. Same look, just a Radiomir case instead of mini-Fiddy. Here is the one I got a month or so ago:

Imagen011.jpg

John,

that really is an awesome looking watch :thumbsupsmileyanim: I followed your previous posts on homages, and I'm really coming round to the idea, especially since they seem to be very good quality and relatively cheap.........and of course since they're unbranded you can modify them to suit your own taste :D

Much as I'd like to emulate your mini-fiddy, I don't have the tools yet; however, I think this months (watch)funds can stretch to that stealth rad, so I'm off to order that now :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, I don't usually like the pam look (just not my thing) but this is awesome! Is there anything like this to buy out of the box?

He doesn't sell the mini-Fiddy case, the closest would be to have Getat either send you a Luminor case with this setup OR you could see if he would do a custom dial for a 47mm Fiddy (I think he will do custom dials if you ask though I am not 100% sure). His straps are nice, but he doesn't have black, so if you really wanted the exact look, I would suggest just watching the strap sale sections, or just fork out for a new one. I was going cheap so I waited for a nice one to come up at a decent price.

I too have a stealth project on the go.

From Jackson, I bought a 44mm PVD case, dome crystal and sterile face. Numbers will be filled with grey lume and black hands blue lumed (white appearance in daylight). Strap wise, I will use a cheap black rubber strap with PVD buckle until i get a get better idea.

Photos to follow

I too have a stealth project on the go.

From Jackson, I bought a 44mm PVD case, dome crystal and sterile face. Numbers will be filled with grey lume and black hands blue lumed (white appearance in daylight). Strap wise, I will use a cheap black rubber strap with PVD buckle until i get a get better idea.

Photos to follow

Ha, I just ordered a PVD mini Fiddy case too (just the case)! I look forward to the stealth lume - post pics when you get going! I am not sure what dial I am going to use yet, but need to do this case in black for sure!

Cheers!

Well, the watch turned up 5mins after I posted and just in time for the weekend. The crown guard is tight and the PVD very evenly applied to all components. Winding it is pain, the crown guard really gets in the way (I dont have particulary big finger either!!)

The pics below show what Jackson supplied and how it looks after a simple strap change. Looks very Darth Vader already!

Lume on the hands is better than I expected, I will test tonight and make a judgement if re-lume is required.

The lume on the numbers in non-existant. Therefore luming numbers (and maybe hands) tomorrow night.

MD

edit: I had another look on the Jacksontse website and it seems the minifiddy case has a smaller crown than normal (CG look crooked too). Might have to get another better PVD case for the better crown and CG.

post-23360-125328975236_thumb.jpg

post-23360-125328979102_thumb.jpg

You people !!!!

Now you have made me order my first homage, didn't think I liked Pam's but some of the vintages are wonderful. Some thing about sterile watches speaks to me so I ve gone for the sterile pvd 44mm case, so I m just a copycat. Anyway hope I like it or its your ass :)

Wonderful pics and very helpful posts, thank you all.