When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What is it you like most about the whole rep thing?

mtv2009

For me its the whole thing...

From the moment you see the rep that you`ve just got to have then the excitement of ordering it :Jumpy:

Then theres the wait..oh boy "the wait" :whistling: which for me, is one of the best parts.

Then my wife rings me at work to say theres a package been delivered :yeah:

Then im at work for the rest of the day with a big :D smile on my face till that moment when i arrive home and the little box/jiffy bag is sat there on the side just waiting to be opened :bounce:

Once opened i spend a little while closely inspecting every nook and cranny and finally popping it on the wrist for the first time and clicking the clasp shut extending the arm to admire it`s gorgeousness!!! :)

Then spend the rest of the evening walking round the house like a kid on christmas morning with a big cheesy grin on my face..lol

occasionally glancing down to my wrist to admire my new aquisition with new found love.. :wub:

I really dont know how many more reps i want, im leaning towards a gmt master 2c and maybe a dssd but i fear the dssd may sit up on my wrist too much...oh i dont know!! :g:

But i know that whichever i get that special feeling will happen all over again.....aaaahhhhhh!

I like having the opportunity to have and feel a design of watch in my hand that I either can't see in person (not available, limited edition, or whatever)...seeing something "special" made attainable (the issue being that even if you have the money, a 1 week delivery is tolerable vs. a 12 month wait list or more).

I like the reading, the researching, the comparison of pics of gens and reps, the debates about what NEEDS to be modded vs. what I think are minor issues that I don't notice...the surprise at the quality of the pieces that arrive.

The community of watch experts here has been fantastic...I'm AMAZED at how much of a REAL community this is...the comraderie, dedication, goodwill, bad will...all of it is good, as it's all real.

In isolation, I probably would have bought 1 rep, and been done with it. Being part of this board makes me enjoy a thirst for the watches, the hunt, everything.

I love the idea of having a watch that is exactly like a genuine that I have admired, and I'm able to own a rep of it. I enjoy the process and the anticipation of ordering a new rep. Like having christmas morning happening many times a year. That eager wait of watching your tracking number, and then the hassle with the post office to get it in your hands. It's always a worthwhile wait when you strap it on, and admire your wrist. I also like the process of picking out which one you want. They are not as expensive as the real thing, but it's not cheap enough to just say "i'll take those 8 and I'm good for a while.". You really have to choose, and figure out what you want most. Overall, it's just a fun hobby. The other neat part is that as rep owners, we are so much more into timepieces than your typical gen owner. We know what's inside them, what kind of movements, and even some basic repair information. Even if we're not going to attempt it ourselves, we have some idea what's going on, other than "a watch is something that sits on your wrist and tells time.".

WR

top 10 things I love about rep watches --in no particular order:

1. Chinese kids making watches that taken horologist years to perfect and months at times to assemble.

2. Anticipating the release of a new watch.

3. Getting packages wrapped in Chinese tape.

4. Doing the forbidden.. both illegal at home because it is condemned by my wife and the government.

5. Seeing how close they get to the gen stuff.

6. Learning about watches that never fancied me, but now I actually kinda like (e.g., Rolex).

7. learning about movements.

8. Knowing that I am not alone.

9. Admiring the seriousness and dedication that some board members have toward the hobby.

10. Being addicted to something that is not self destructive (most of the time:))

I can't remember. Probably 'rya' and 'jonthebhoy' 's posts.

add TTK, rolexaward, delgates, omi and the ggg in ther too...and eddie and omni too...and Demsey and highflyingclive (those two actually got married i heard.......not)