When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Graphite treatment sec@12

marcoxxx1984

Zigmeister did a full tear down of the movement, and found that the main problem with the mvoement was the state that is comes in from the factory.

If you have it serviced, and graphite treatment applied to the central gear, there is no reason why it shouldn't last another five years. Then get it serviced again and it should last another five years :)

Nothing can get you 100% assurance that your watch won´t fail.

I have some rubberclads...they run COSC like without service.

I have the NAVY that came dead....runs great now after service/graphit treatment.

I have a RB2 that is now the 3rd time with my watchsmith for service in only 8 weeks because it allways suddenly stops.

So you´ll never know but I do calculate a complete servíce now within the buying price of my sec@12!

Theo

I stopped offering the treatment to Seconds at 6 movements. Those movements are so bad designed that I could not offer any warranty on the treatment. So I took that decision.

AP seconds at 12 is not perfect, but better than seconds at 6. Now I am working in one from a member. It helped that the member is from EU.

I feel strange.... I mean, I can do the job... but we are not 100% sure if the money is very well employed.

In summary, I think graphite helps... but I cannot prove or say that the movement will last twice, or 50%. However, servicing + graphite... is the only solution to improve the movement.

Regrads,

Francisco.

• 3 weeks later...

The seconds at 3 and 12 are both well engineered and designed movements.

The only problem they have, is the same one as all A7750's, lack of servicing.

There is no reason to do the "graphite" treatment on these or any models. In my own experience the graphite treatment didn't do anything which is why I don't offer it.

During servicing I do polish and burnish the center wheel (which is the only wheel that isn't jewelled), this is a far superior solution and a traditional watchmaking technique. A properly polished and burnished gear will have far less friction than one running on a bed of graphite dust... In fact all pivots on all wheels are polished and burnished to reduce friction.

Your solution is simple, have the movement serviced, and get it serviced every 5 years after that.

The seconds at 3 and 12 are both well engineered and designed movements.

The only problem they have, is the same one as all A7750's, lack of servicing.

There is no reason to do the "graphite" treatment on these or any models. In my own experience the graphite treatment didn't do anything which is why I don't offer it.

During servicing I do polish and burnish the center wheel (which is the only wheel that isn't jewelled), this is a far superior solution and a traditional watchmaking technique. A properly polished and burnished gear will have far less friction than one running on a bed of graphite dust... In fact all pivots on all wheels are polished and burnished to reduce friction.

Your solution is simple, have the movement serviced, and get it serviced every 5 years after that.

I will second that...i have had Ziggy do service on 3 of my ROOs and will attest to their quality. And will be sending another one off soon to for some service.

• 1 month later...

Hello Guys,

just got a ROO sec@12 Black Theme. When you talk about servicing, do you mean to service the watch now ( before wearing), or normal treatment like every mechanical movement after a period of 3-5 years? My Rolex got serviced and readjusted after 4 years.

As I am located in the EU, my service partner would be Domi, but is it necessary or better to service the watch now as it is brand new?

Of course I know that a movement is a machine with mechanical parts and even know that there could be a breakdown in case of not servicing it - any ideas of prevention? If its down, is there a possibility to re-animate it?

Interesting issue, but won't spend too much energy in having fear of a breakdown.

Advices? Or just relax?

What do the Experts think?

Cheers, J