When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What price a 1:1 case set?

offshore

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's been the standpoint I've always taken with reps; all you need is a good case. Things like dials, movements, etc. can be found elsewhere to build to suit.

I would aim at cases (including the caseback) & dials (I have never seen a truly accurate Daytona or DRSD aftermarket dial & the potential market is enormous). If you really want to drive yourself crazy, do a 1:1 riveted 7205/71 or folded link 7835/271 to mate to all of those 62xx Daytonas out there.

I joined their Air Forces

Why didn't you say so in the first place Luth?!

OK, in that case I will, for the sake of debate, reverse my position. OK, here I go, ahem..............

Pffffffffffft! I'm not going to sit here and [censored] for tat Russian v American technological break through. The only thing new in this world is; the history you obviously skipped over in school Demsey. Hmmmmm, case in point; Korea 1950. Which came first? The MiG-15 or the F-86? If memory serves I believe the newly commissioned US Air Force were getting their asses handed to them by the world's premier swept wing sub-sonic attack fighter. The MiG-15. Russian made I might add. From the ground up, while US aeronautical engineers were still screwing on airfoils like broomsticks at 90 degree angles.

The American solution? Well, the F-86. Put a Red Star on an F-86 and it would look at home flying over Zhukovsky.

Are we sitting comfortably then? Let's watch:

Someday we can discuss; Technology. It's one thing to have it. It's another to be able to use it. Splash one MiG :lol:

Good to see you Luth. You're one I missed from 1.1

I would think just cases would be the way to go on this. Let folk build their own master piece. If it turns out 1:1 there are heaps of bits to fit whatever the watch chosen. Less chance of geting in trunie as well. The only other thing that needs to be made are MVT holders for the gen and an ETA MVT to suit. All the rest can be sourced easily enough by the buyer.

Col.

+1

I fully share your opinion. One case with option to fit 2 mvts, that's all we need.

Understandable......my idea way back was to start up a line of RWG watches that would develop into a brand of its own (Homage watches not true replicas) and not to make the perfect replica...

I discussed about it with Offshore the other day, it's for me the ultimate goal :)

Now that Miyota has good stuff like 9015 (better to forget ETA as they will stop to supply mvts very soon), a watch made by and for the community is a exiting project...

Dems, my planes were MIG-25 and SU-17, MIG-15 was too old when I served. And, no, I'm NOT Russian. But I do speak Russian. And few more langs.

But let's not hijack this thread, and go back to this interesting idea about cases.

I know a few factories in HK, who will reproduce exact copy of any dial and hands and datewheels.

It's not a problem, I'm quite often in HK, I can talk to managers.

Case is the most important part of the project. If decision will go to the independent (not watch cases factory) factory, then I can ask my people in China to find the factory who will be able to do the job. It's really great project, and it can turn upside down all rep. World, and I'm excited. Offshore and Earth will be the brain and driving machines, and everyone who can contribute any ideas - speak it out right here.

Edited by Luthier

No fair DBR, there's only one stable shape for a SST and that's it!

Ha ha, whatever you say 'comrade'. Pretty much accepted that the original plans were 'stolen' from BAC in the mid-60s, about the time it was very fashionable for us Brits to be passing information on to the Soviets, either intentionally or not ;)

Back OT, think we have a consensus now on building case sets - midcase, bezel and caseback. Could start with one, and if successful then roll the process out for a couple of other vintage models. There's enough info within these walls to provide exact specifics after all

I think the vintage models are what should be looked at. These are the models that most collectors are looking for and are hard to find. Modern models have a following, but most are very close and not worth the time and effort to reproduce again.

What I would like to see along with these cases...a rep movement of the 1570 or 3135. Most of the parts are available as aftermarket parts, but the bridges/base movement are the problem. If these could also be reproduced in the $200-$300 range it would be a great investment.

It would be nice for the forum to take on this as an escrow kind of deal and a fundraiser. A win-win for everyone!

I think the vintage models are what should be looked at. These are the models that most collectors are looking for and are hard to find. Modern models have a following, but most are very close and not worth the time and effort to reproduce again.

What I would like to see along with these cases...a rep movement of the 1570 or 3135. Most of the parts are available as aftermarket parts, but the bridges/base movement are the problem. If these could also be reproduced in the $200-$300 range it would be a great investment.

It would be nice for the forum to take on this as an escrow kind of deal and a fundraiser. A win-win for everyone!

+1

3135 is great mov't.

Edited by Luthier

"I think the vintage models are what should be looked at. These are the models that most collectors are looking for and are hard to find. Modern models have a following, but most are very close and not worth the time and effort to reproduce again.

I agree 100%

Now:

5512/13

Later:

GMT

MG

"What I would like to see along with these cases...a rep movement of the 1570 or 3135. Most of the parts are available as aftermarket parts, but the bridges/base movement are the problem. If these could also be reproduced in the $200-$300 range it would be a great investment."

Agree again.

Maybe a modified etaclone that is same as 1570 and one same as 3135...dial foot holes, hand sizes, date font and offset etc that will drop in a 1:1 case with 1:1 dial.

Maybe use the 2892 clone for 3135 and a slower beat 2824/36 clone for the 1570.

The movement does not need to look like an oem movement but it needs to accept oem parts and fit in a 1:1 or oem case.

Oem spec movement + 16200 case + genuine dial = instant "DJ".

There is no law against making a rolex spec movement using an etaclone base.