When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help : re-assemble GMT II ceramic Bezel !

r@f

Hello, i have a GMT II ceramic in Parts, and i cant figure out how to re-assemble the complete bezel...

Ive found a diagram but is for the gen GMT...

Do you have some tips?..

the gen procedure...

bezelschematic.jpg

and the parts i have...

imgp0731800x600b.jpg

thank you in advance

raffo

the key to the puzzle is part 4. in reps this wire is often not right diameter or metal or shape. it is i think a holdover way of doing things from say a 6542 or 5510 or 5508 era bezel construction. if you can find of pic of those bezels...where are you in the world ? you can perhaps find a local modder to put it on the watch but it can be a fustrating job to get the right tension on the ring and correct slip fit so the thing is secure

Hi there, i am in EU.

regards

Raffo

the key to the puzzle is part 4. in reps this wire is often not right diameter or metal or shape. it is i think a holdover way of doing things from say a 6542 or 5510 or 5508 era bezel construction. if you can find of pic of those bezels...where are you in the world ? you can perhaps find a local modder to put it on the watch but it can be a fustrating job to get the right tension on the ring and correct slip fit so the thing is secure

and the parts i have...

imgp0731800x600b.jpg

thank you in advance

raffo

Hmmm... From the look of the edges of the case, I am guessing that Part #2 is some kind of roller/bearing assembly which will enable the bezel to rotate, not freely, but with a smooth feeling of slight resistance between each 'number place'. It's hard to describe the feeling... With a sub, the bezel clicks 'sharply' from position to position, ratcheting into place. With the GMTIIC bezel, while there are 'points of pressure' while setting the position of the insert, it is all done smoothly, with none of the ratcheting of a Sub bezel...

On a regular Sub bezel, Part # 4 would go into a groove cut into the inner edge of Part #1, and that is just a case of getting it all into the groove... Part # 3 is a complete mystery to me, hopefully someone else might be able to shed some light on it... I hope I've been able to provide some clarity :)

O.k.,

Part #2 the 3 pins go in the bezel holes. The thin washer goes under the assembly and the thin wire goes in the inside channel of the bezel.

Best practice is to put the thin washer on the case, place ring 2 in place above it. Take the bezel(Wire installed) and center it over the pins so the pins/holes line up, and press into place until the wire ring slides over the case lip locking the system into place.

Patience is the key.

Good luck,

Kurt.

Justasgood has it right, but I will try to clarify -

Part 4, the bezel retaining spring (this latches onto the top of the case (around the dial) & secures the bezel onto the case), fits inside a channel that is cut out along the inside circumference of part 1, the bezel. Install 4 into the channel in part 1 (this bezel is from a different watch, but the parts are similar)

057.jpg

Place part 2 (the roller guide) on top of part 3 (the spacer ring) & place 2/3 on top of the case (with 2 on top). Then, place 1/4 on top of 2/3 & press the bezel down until you feel/hear it 'click'. The clicking happens when the retaining spring (part 4) compresses & then slips down around (& under) the wide lip on the front of the case. Once there, it expands a bit, locking the bezel assembly onto the case.