When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A7750 Seconds at 6 movement

William Campbell

I am interested in an IWC Portuguese with seconds at 6 (http://www.jpc8118.com/00iwpg10012-portuguese-chrono-rgle-black-a7750-improved-p-5488.html) and wanted to know:

What is meant by "freezing" the hands? Is it like glueing it so that the hand cannot move, thus damaging the movement? And if so, does the watch keep good time? I am aware of the graphite fix, but I am trying to see if there are other alternatives.

Can I replace the A7750 and put a real movement in? Will a real movement even fit in this watch, or are there any things I need to be aware of, such as the hands fitting?

And lastly, has anyone seen this replica in this color? The picture on the web does not look like the gen to me.

Thanks.

I am currently in the process of having a gen IWC caliber 79350 fitted to a Portuguese Chrono rep; as the movement is not a direct fit, the case has to be modified in order for the stem to line up with the crown tube, and the hands have to be slightly modified as well (only the subdial and center seconds unless you use a set of gen hands; hour and min should be a direct fit).

A bit pricey, but the gen movement and it's reliability are worth it to me...

I am currently in the process of having a gen IWC caliber 79350 fitted to a Portuguese Chrono rep; as the movement is not a direct fit, the case has to be modified in order for the stem to line up with the crown tube, and the hands have to be slightly modified as well (only the subdial and center seconds unless you use a set of gen hands; hour and min should be a direct fit).

Where can I purchase one (79350) and how much will it cost?

Perfection is SOP for you !!!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

L

Freezing means the running seconds at 6 is immobilized. Ziggy has done this on occasion with the Daytona seconds at 6 and the same principal would hold for the 3714. On a typical 7750, the running seconds is at 9 and thru a series of added gears it is moved to 6. But this bogs down the movement and is problematic for the watch. By disabling the running seconds, the rest of the watch can still function- the center chrono seconds hand and the 30 minute counter at 12 are still able to function just fine.

Concepta had some gen movements for the 3714 for sale a while back.

avitt had some success with some kind of coating (teflon? can't remember) on one of the bridges of the 7750 movement which reduced friction and allowed it to operate w/ the running seconds moved to 6.

Keep searching and you should find the old posts- probably 6 mos to a year old. Try "IWC 3714".