When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

liability off asian movement in new pam 24 (also pam 50)

artoero

Hello guys (and girls?)

I have only rep.panerais with swiss movements, now I like the new 024 but its only available with a asian automatic movement.

What I want to know is the liability of the movement, and if it is worth to buy it?

Who can give me a proper advice?

greetz Artoero

Edited by artoero

When the Asian 7750 movement was reviewed, quite extensively by The Zigmeister, he found that the chronograph portion of the movement was the unreliable part, and that the regular timekeeping portion of the watch was fine and would remain reliable if the chronos were not utilized. If we assume that this is the case, the watches that use this movement without implementing the chrono functions should, in theory at least, be fine.

I will be ordering a sub in the next few weeks- have not decided which yet.

-O

When the Asian 7750 movement was reviewed, quite extensively by The Zigmeister, he found that the chronograph portion of the movement was the unreliable part, and that the regular timekeeping portion of the watch was fine and would remain reliable if the chronos were not utilized. If we assume that this is the case, the watches that use this movement without implementing the chrono functions should, in theory at least, be fine.

I will be ordering a sub in the next few weeks- have not decided which yet.

-O

I just ordered the new pam 24, EL as dealer(first time)

I'll show foto's when it is in ok?

greetz artoero

It was my memory that The Zigmeister, who owns and uses his 7750 chrono several times per day

in his work, said that the chronos were not the issue, but that some of these early pieces were

dirty, un-lubricated, and just not well put together, while some, like his worked fine, besides

a hand, he had to glue into place.

However now that the new 7750b1 were out, as long as your small seconds subdial is at 9 then

your only concern, is lubrication.

The reset mechanism on the chronos notoriously was unable to find zero, and the hand was frequently loose on the pinion which made matters worse. The chrono engagement is a lever type, not a column wheel, and the lever frequently got hung up, making it impossible to stop the chronos at times. The Zigmeister and I had a back and forth about this when the 196 first came out. The new ones appear to be mostly bulletproof as the Swiss.

-O

The reset mechanism on the chronos notoriously was unable to find zero, and the hand was frequently loose on the pinion which made matters worse. The chrono engagement is a lever type, not a column wheel, and the lever frequently got hung up, making it impossible to stop the chronos at times. The Zigmeister and I had a back and forth about this when the 196 first came out. The new ones appear to be mostly bulletproof as the Swiss.

-O

Thanks friends,

I am a newbe, some things I do not understand jet, but is it right that in the new 24, it is a fine movement to use?

thanks for patience

From the way I read The Zigmeister's review, I think the chrono's are fine. The problems he alluded to were in the context of the Rolex Daytona and all the extra gears that were needed on this specific model to move the running seconds from 9 o'clock postion to the 6 o'clock position. If this is not done (ie, you are getting something other than a Daytona), then the chrono's work great and are not a problem.

Donot know about the reliabilty but I have read that the movement comes unoiled... Do not know how long an unoiled movement shall last...

That's why you get it lubricated, then you come out way ahead of the cost of ETA, which in my

opinion is way over-rated when compared to today's top Asian movements.

Rolexman...

The swiss have been using China to assemble their watches for years.. do you think

that the Chinese have yet to figure out how to put together a decent watch on their own ?

They even build Tourbillions now in reps.. EL has one..

Do you know how Amazing that is ? !

Tourbillions are on the most expensive watches in the world !

Though I do prefer ETA in some instances.. I don't feel locked in to always spring for ETA

in every circumstance.

After all, these are still reps we are speaking of here, not to mention that variety, is the spice

of this game, which spending less per watch = more watches. :D

I've got an IWC GST chrono with the new asian 7750, and from the outside, ie watching the chrono hand move around the dial and listening to the movement, it is superb. Running @ +3 seconds/day right now and have the chrono running all the time.

The only thing I've noticed is that the minute counter (12:00) jumps forward at about the 58 second mark instead of at 0

Yep, great quality from China! That's why my Nikes are so durable... I can wear them for years :punk:

That's what they used to say about "Made in Japan"... :D

Which brings up another point,..Asian movements also include Japanese in some of our reps...

Keep spending more my friend,.. I would love to see that Kodak moment when you discover

that your cherished piece turns out to contain what you were running from all this time..

or worse yet it fails regardless..

Priceless... :o