When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Going Franken

dbutlerman

News Alert..News Alert...

I received a little package from OF today...what could it be:

DSC_0002.jpg

Anybody guess right? A new Gen Bezel for my 4th Gen PO....

Here is the original:

P1000737.jpg

And now for the Gen:

DSC_0005.jpg

And it fit perfectly. NO issues what-so-ever. Snapped on just like the Replica bezel...Now I have to decide what comes/goes next...

Thanks, DB2. It would be great if they could just sell the cases (even without the valve but properly threaded for an original tube. A stainless movement ring for a 2824 and a domed sapphire. Gen exterir parts should fit. I would certainly pay more than for a complete watch. I wonder if a special batch could be made for those who like to tinker a bit more. That would open a new market for dials, hands etc, and all perfectly legit.

Yeah amazing what a difference a stupid little pearl makes...I had gotten used to a "rounded" pearl like the ones on the aftermarket bezels I found, but the Gen is completely flat and glows like a torch...the rep hands on this model glow really brightly too...almost as bright as the pearl. The lume on the dial though is really faint.....

Hey Ubi - What are the differences between the Gen DIal/Hands and the reps? Just lume or???

There's quite a lot that's different between gen and rep-

1) Dial has a different overall texture with gen.

2) Font is different (size) and the color of the scripting is different as well.

3) Omega logo is different.

4) Luminous indicies are different; borders are too thick on the rep.

5) Lume is different color, and of course is stronger on the gen.

6) Numeral markers at 12/6/9 are slightly different shape (but not very noticable).

7) Date window bevel is more pronounced on gen.

8) Minute hand is longer on the gen.

9) Seconds hand tip is a different shade of orange.

10) Lume color and strength is different on the gen hands (thus matching the dial and pearl).

A couple of pics to outline the differences...

Rep:

IMG_5401.jpg

Gen:

IMG_5446.jpg

^_^

Sweet Ubi! I really miss my 42mm.

Thanks, Andreww. I find that I enjoy the watch quite a lot, but haven't worn mine in a while. It does remain a favorite amongst my kids, however; they like to look at the sea monster on the caseback :lol:

Ahhhhhhhhh. Now I see. I am now convinced about the dial and hands. The thinner indices alone are worth it. Any chance you could post a picture or point me to a picture of your endlinks and first link spacing? I am curious to see how big of a gap the gen has...Does the ETA datewheel have a thicker font?

For db2, re: removing the datewheel.

Dial and hands removed, this is similar to what you'd expect to see (though in this case, the subject is a 2836, not a 2824):

IMG_4576.jpg

Press this spring here:

IMG_4583.jpg

Lift the datewheel and then slip it off; installation is the reverse process. You can also remove the keyless works cover plate on the opposite side to remove the datewheel as well. Just a little more to keep track of going this route...

I decided to post here as opposed to your PM as I felt it could be of good use for others as well.

Cheers,

//ubi

Thanks Ubi - You are correct this will be helpful to lots of people who are looking for a how to change eta datewheel. Hopefully that last little bit will help the server find this thread when people are searching! Once you press that part down, will it stay down or will I need to keep pressure on it while I pull off the datewheel?