When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Cyclops and crown tube removal

redwatch

I would like to do some mods to my submariner. I have a noob project watch that I want to try a couple of experiments on. (Details to come at a later date - I don't want to spoil it yet :D )

So I need to do two modifications to the watch before I can proceed. The first is to remove the cyclops from the crystal. Can someone give me some direction on the best way to do this without killing the crystal?

Second modification will involve removing the tube from the case. Since it is a noob case, it doesn't have the nice torx like key that the gen has. How do I remove the tube? Any suggestions?

Cyclops are glued on to the crystal, normally using UV glue.

The solvent for UV glue is Acetone. Sometimes, by removing the crystal and soaking it in acetone, you can shift a cyclops. Before doing this, ascertain that it is a mineral or sapphire crystal, as acrylic crystals don't like acetone!!!!

If you still can't budge the cyclops, try using some heat.

set the crystal on an area which can accept a high temperature.

Have a cloth/glove on hand to touch the crystal or cyclops, as they get VERY hot, and do burn the fingers!

When the cyclops comes off, it is likely to "fly" so do this in an area, where you can clearly see the floor (and sweep it if needed, to find the cyclops again)

Secure the crystal, (I use an alloy movement holder, with no O rings or gaskets, as these would burn) Use a soldering iron to apply heat. You may be surprised how much heat is required...A lot! Sometimes 2 or 3 attempts are required, and sometimes the cyclops will crack or shatter anyway.

Good luck!

As far as the tube is concerned, first work out if it is screwed or pressed.

If screwed, there are a number of tube removers available on the market. If it has a thread on it for the crown, which I imagine it does, see if you have enough thread to get 2 thin nuts on it, one acting as a lock nut against the other. You may then be able to use the inner nut to unscrew it. If it is pressed or glued, not threaded, you will need to get a special press, (there is one made for pushers which works well) or makeshift something.

I remember reading a good article here somewhere, by someone who made up a makeshift tool to push out a tube. So have a search around for that.

Give us a tute on what your results were when done, for our next generation of repairers!

Offshore

Oh yeah, and the other issue is, I cannot for the life of me get the crystal off of the case. i have asked before about this, and everyone keeps saying I just need to push it out through the back. Movement is removed, bezel is removed (and bent in the process of removal - but that is all better now). Any other options for removal? Again this is a noob sub so there is no crystal retaining ring.

use a crystal press with a smaller die size the retaining and push it out with leverage from the underside, worked for me. However I couldnt for the life of me get a cyclops off a noob crystal. I let it sit in acetone for 24hours, NOTHING. I held a soddering iron to the cyclops at the bottom while it was RED hot for minutes at a time and NOTHING! I gave up, but gained a high amount of respect for the crystal used in the noob sub. hopefully you have better luck than me.

Thanks OS! Is there a quick and easy way to determine if the crystal is sapphire or not? I bought this used off of a member, so info is a little vague. Does the noobmariner traditionally come with a sapphire crystal?

I don't know what Noobs come with.

Search for articles on testing for sapphire. A diamond tester is always sure, but there are tests involving water droplets.

If you can't push the crystal out, try blowing it out with air pressure, first try your dust blower, before using a compressor!!! It WILL fly! Do not use a lot of pressure!!!!

A crystal press should push it out though.

Offshore

use a crystal press with a smaller die size the retaining and push it out with leverage from the underside, worked for me. However I couldnt for the life of me get a cyclops off a noob crystal. I let it sit in acetone for 24hours, NOTHING. I held a soddering iron to the cyclops at the bottom while it was RED hot for minutes at a time and NOTHING! I gave up, but gained a high amount of respect for the crystal used in the noob sub. hopefully you have better luck than me.

I have seen a few cyclops, that were actually machined as part of the crystal!

Maybe you had one of these! If so , it was NEVER coming off :)

O/S

I found this on TZ for testing what type of crystal you have. Based on the two tests, I have a sapphire crystal. I will try the acetone trick and I have an 800 degree F soldering iron if the acetone doesn't work. Hopefully the cyclops is not part of crystal as you mentioned!

There are two fool-proof tests to differentiate a sapphire crystal from a mineral crystal:

1) the colour test - look at the edge of the crystal. A sapphire crystal will have a pinkish hue, a mineral crystal will have a greenish hue.

2) the water test - place large drops of water on the crystal, then tilt the watch and watch the water slide off. On the sapphire crystal, water will easily slide off - leaving small well-formed round globules of water on the surface. On the mineral crystal - most of the water will "stick" to the crystal and the drops of water will spread across the surface of the crystal to form a non-uniform "puddle" instead of sliding off.

Try both tests on watches you know have sapphire crystals or mineral crystals and the results will become immediately apparent to you. Test number 1 doesn't always work if the edge of the crystal is not a clear polished finish (instead an opaque powder finish) - and can be confusing before a comparison test is performed.

To remove the tube, use a broken screw extractor. They come with a drill bit and the remover so that when you bust a screw head, you drill a hole in the middle of the screw and insert the remover. It has biting edges that dig into the hole when you unscrew it. As you already have a hole in the tube, it will come out with no issues. If there is glue on the threads, make sure to heat it up first. Works for tubes that are pressed in as well.

why not just measure the crystal and get a clarks crystal.. the BK WM9 uses the clarks .. and the mag is very good. no fuss no heat.. I had to use my cigar torch to heat up the xtal and believe me I aimed it at a cardboard box with a rag stuffed inside.. the mag 'pops' off and literally is like a projectile,.. clarks will save you a lot of headache gluing it back on too..

L