When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I started out hating these watches...now I'm hooked

bjl3910

I hated these watches when I first started looking around the forums. They have grown on me. It doesn't hurt that my Step father has a gen...Yeah I may have to sneak it out one night. Anyway, I was curious about a few things. I am by no means an expert and my knowlege of these watches is pedestrian at best. I want to know about the 111h. What dial colors are available? And what is all this talk about "Superlume" and does it matter? I am talking with Sead about buying one this week and hopefully being able to rock it this weekend. However he said that the reps of the 111h range from about $110 to $400. What are the major differences in the reps? He said he could get me a great deal on one if I didn't want "superlume"...what the f*&@# is superlume? Can you actually get a good looking rep of the 11h for around $150? Any tips from you guys would be appreciated. I got such great feedback from my questions reguarding a Mont Blanc that I figured I'd ask again. I swear these forums are a great tool for people starting out. The flipside to that is that I now have a new reason to spend more time in front of the computer and less time with the Mrs. Yeah...she's already [censored]. She said if I show her another picture of ANY watch that she may choke me. LOL. Any tips on how to deal with women who don't understand this sickness would be great too. Thanks for the help.

The 111h is a specific model and is a black sandwich dial. Does Superlume matter? It depends. Do you care how much your watch glows at night? If not, it doesn't matter. If it matters, does it matter enough to pay $100 extra for it?

Superlume is just improved lume that glows better and is usable at night or in the dark for more hours. Standard lume glows bright for 30s after charge but fades quick and is essentially unusable after an hour or more depending on the quality. My Ziggified true RC Tritec Superluminova watches are bright enough to read War and Peace to in a dim room. I love it...others couldn't care less.

Can you get a good looking 111h for around $150? It all depends on your level of pickiness. Some people will double the price of the rep to get a flatter crown guard pin, a different crown guard and possibly a slightly thicker crown. It all depends on your priorities.

The problem with the forums are they are filled with watch nuts. Watch nuts see things others wouldn't and spend time and money on things that non-watch folks wouldn't even notice if you pointed the issue out to them at 500x magnification and circled the problem area in red.

Some people go nuts about date fonts or pearl quality, others lume, others polished vs. brushed details. I'm not sure where you're at in your purchase or level of pursuit of accuracy.

How to deal with the Mrs? Get her a nice watch.

Welcome to RWG and sickness that entails. ;)

Thanks for the info...get the girlfriend a watch...never occured to me. That would shut her up... this month. As far as my level of pickiness goes, I am more concerned with the function and durability of the watch. I am no perfectionist and wouldn't notice most flaws. I just want a watch that I can wear and that looks good from a few feet away. I don't plan on trying to fool anyone...myself included. If I was looking for perfect, I would throw one of these things on the AMEX and not look back. I will probably be picking up a gen Mont Blanc Timewalker b/c I wear a suit to work and the watch is just so tasteful and classy...and affordable relatively speaking. But the Pam is a different story. I am the Operations Manager of large manufactoring company, so I am in the plant some of the day. SO this thing may take a beating. That is why I have grown fond of these watches. They look rugged and refined at the same time. Plus I doubt if any 10/hr laborer is going to know the difference. I can't wear the Timewalker out here though, it would get smashed for sure. So I just want to know if you think i can get a good rep for 150? One that will work properly and that doesn't feel like a cheap piece of garbage when you hold it. Thanks man.

The 111h is a specific model and is a black sandwich dial. Does Superlume matter? It depends. Do you care how much your watch glows at night? If not, it doesn't matter. If it matters, does it matter enough to pay $100 extra for it?

Superlume is just improved lume that glows better and is usable at night or in the dark for more hours. Standard lume glows bright for 30s after charge but fades quick and is essentially unusable after an hour or more depending on the quality. My Ziggified true RC Tritec Superluminova watches are bright enough to read War and Peace to in a dim room. I love it...others couldn't care less.

Can you get a good looking 111h for around $150? It all depends on your level of pickiness. Some people will double the price of the rep to get a flatter crown guard pin, a different crown guard and possibly a slightly thicker crown. It all depends on your priorities.

The problem with the forums are they are filled with watch nuts. Watch nuts see things others wouldn't and spend time and money on things that non-watch folks wouldn't even notice if you pointed the issue out to them at 500x magnification and circled the problem area in red.

Some people go nuts about date fonts or pearl quality, others lume, others polished vs. brushed details. I'm not sure where you're at in your purchase or level of pursuit of accuracy.

How to deal with the Mrs? Get her a nice watch.

Welcome to RWG and sickness that entails. ;)

Spoken like a Pro! I love it!

Thanks for the info...get the girlfriend a watch...never occured to me. That would shut her up... this month. As far as my level of pickiness goes, I am more concerned with the function and durability of the watch. I am no perfectionist and wouldn't notice most flaws. I just want a watch that I can wear and that looks good from a few feet away. I don't plan on trying to fool anyone...myself included. If I was looking for perfect, I would throw one of these things on the AMEX and not look back. I will probably be picking up a gen Mont Blanc Timewalker b/c I wear a suit to work and the watch is just so tasteful and classy...and affordable relatively speaking. But the Pam is a different story. I am the Operations Manager of large manufactoring company, so I am in the plant some of the day. SO this thing may take a beating. That is why I have grown fond of these watches. They look rugged and refined at the same time. Plus I doubt if any 10/hr laborer is going to know the difference. I can't wear the Timewalker out here though, it would get smashed for sure. So I just want to know if you think i can get a good rep for 150? One that will work properly and that doesn't feel like a cheap piece of garbage when you hold it. Thanks man.

My take......don't be so Anal like some folks! If it's close enough, it's good enough, my mantra! Just get some good straps for your PAMs and they're good to go!

Here's two examples of the PAM111, first one is a DSN H...

pam111get1.jpg

pam111get.jpg

and one I just built for around $150....not counting the strap!

pam111hike1.jpg

pam111hike2.jpg

and both side by side:

twinsg.jpg

Which one do you go for?

Hope that helps!

Hike

My take......don't be so Anal like some folks! If it's close enough, it's good enough, my mantra! Just get some good straps for your PAMs and they're good to go!

Here's two examples of the PAM111, first one is a DSN H...

pam111get1.jpg

pam111get.jpg

and one I just built for around $150....not counting the strap!

pam111hike1.jpg

pam111hike2.jpg

and both side by side:

twinsg.jpg

Which one do you go for?

Hope that helps!

Hike

What's a DSN H ?

Anyone ever hear about a guy called Sead, from the RepGeek site. Several people have told me that he is great if you're in the U.S. He says that he can put a good 111 together for me with a black and brown strap for $150...sounds okay...right? I don't see him in this forums trusted dealer list though. ANy thoughts?

hey mate.. yes ive dealt with sead before.. he is actually one of the most helpful dealer ive dealt with so u cannot go wrong with him.. i wouldnt hesitate to get one from him.. in fact, ask him how much for one of his modified 111 without the superlume.. i mean if u do decide to get it from him u might want to get the cheapest 111h with t-crown and cannon pin fixed (which he offers i think).. i hope this helps

Yeah that does help. The second one looks fine. The only difference I can see (or think I see) is the crown guard. But this watch looks great w/ a black or brown strap. Any good places to get straps? Can you pick them up at a jewelry store or watch store rather?

This forum is home to expert band makers, some of which specialize in Panerai straps. Look in the watch band area!

post-22602-125375525366_thumb.jpg

My bro is speaking the truth here. Don't get too caught up in the minor details, and simply enjoy each watch for its own merits :) When I first got onto the forums, I couldn't see myself ever wanting a Panerai. Not long after, that was all I wore for about a year... Now, I'm back into Rolex, and by extension, Tudor... the 111h is an awesome watch. My only different recommendation, would be the 112, which has a '9' instead of a second sweep hand. I never had one in my collection, but always wanted one, so might indeed treat myself to one in the future. They're a watch which can take some getting used to, but once you're 'in the zone', you will be hooked, and it's just a case of finding the right watch/strap combination which works best for you :):good:

• 2 weeks later...