When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Polishing steel watches: Magic Eraser

landwomble

Not seen this posted here so thought it worth a post: I've just finished cleaning up a plastic Apple Macbook using a "magic eraser" foam pad, and it worked beautifully.

Idly tried it on a steel polished watch I have here and it worked like a charm in polishing it up. Safe, not conventionally abrasive (they're made from melamine foam which is soft sponge that's very hard at a microscopic level).

Run it over the watch a few times: instant shiny!

Worth a go: magic erasers don't cost much and a pack will last you forever...

To remove light scratches from brushed ss use a "ink" eraser .. works for case and bracelets..

Like this?

Pink%20Pearl.JPG

Or This?

EX006159.jpg

I believe the blue side is for ink, the pink is for pencil.

Edited by OrenG

you talking about the Mr. Clean "Magic Eraser" product?

Yes, that's the one. There are others - basically they look like white, foam rubber pads that you might do the dishes with. Use them dry or dampened slightly.

The tech behind it's here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_eraser

They're really weird - they feel utterly non abrasive, and they definitely don't scratch anything I've used them on (plastics, painted walls, watches) but they have an almost magical quality erasing marks. Also great for removing paint splodges off stuff.

Got mine off ebay from the states, but noticed in the UK they're now on sale in supermarkets/Lakeland etc.

I thought about trying this the other day. I got some graphite and paint on my wood desk while watchmaking and used a magic eraser to get it off and thought to myself....hmm, i bet you could polish SS with this. Thanks for posting. I'm interested to try this out now.

Seems pretty safe, I was very gentle at first and then ended up just wildly buffing the whole thing with it, looked great afterwards...!

• 1 year later...