When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

SINN U1 and U2 now $138 in 21j movement

steven12345

Also notice that in the new Asian the sec hands has the wrong paint pattern as the early Swiss Movt version.

I also agree that the 100 bucks is a good investment for the Swiss movt.

Anyway it's good to know that the factories are thinking out of the box with replicating more not so popular brands.

I question if the ETA Swiss movement is a real swiss ETA. One poster who took detailed pics said that movment has not been made for 10 years or more !. Maybe the Rep makers are FAKING US. Perhaps it is just another factory that makes Chinese movements with a ETA stamp on it. My Asian Clone also says ETA on it. i bought a Asian Clone for my Breitling and it never worked right out of the box. I would rather have a quartz or a Minoya movment that is more reliable.

Steve

I question if the ETA Swiss movement is a real swiss ETA. One poster who took detailed pics said that movment has not been made for 10 years or more !. Maybe the Rep makers are FAKING US. Perhaps it is just another factory that makes Chinese movements with a ETA stamp on it. My Asian Clone also says ETA on it. i bought a Asian Clone for my Breitling and it never worked right out of the box. I would rather have a quartz or a Minoya movment that is more reliable.

Steve

Well said ... and agreed it is a clone.

I am also wondering how relible are the 21J movements. I spoke to Both Josh (Pc clones) and Andrew (trusty) and they both say that they have NEW ETA movements and not Asian Clones or Rebuilt or rejected Swiss ETA. I basically don't know who to belive. I do know it is Very hard to get New ETA movements. I will start looking at some other dealers offerings.

Steve

It should be possible to swap out the asian movement in the U1 for a gen ETA 2824-2, right? This is my plan. I will get the U1 with the asian movement and then just get the ETA 2824-2 from Ofrei and get someone to swap it for me. Does this sound stupid? The gen ETA 2824-2 is about 120 dollars.

Nice idea but there are problems. If you look at both movments the hands fit on different size posts (widths) on the movements. you may also need a different movement holder. I did a lot of research on this. I also own a few 7750 and Swiss ETA Clones . I found that the 21J is just as Reliable as the Asian ETA Clone. What you give up is the smoother ticking of the second hands, lack of hacking, and the 21J is not quite as precise as the ETA in accuracty. The 21J DG 2813 is a copy of a Myota 8515 Citizen movement and and has been in use for years Since 1970's. It is sort of like the Seiko Auto movment in my 007 Diver. The Rotor only winds in one direction while the ETA style winds in both directions. I honestly would buy a Quartz movement over any of the Auto movements as I really want a watch that works but looks cool to me. The price difference is also a factor in the SInn watch. For $218 you get the Asian ETA copy (no Swiss real ETA are avaialble or they are used for that price "rebuilt"). For $ 128 the 21J. If both watches are just as reliable I will go for the 21j. I also read that that if you plan on NOT servicing the movement you are better with the 21j . This Sinn has the same parts (saphire crystal, case , strap) on BOTH models. Most often you get the mineral crystal on Quartz and 21 J but not this one. The shipping is the same on both. There are many cheap 21J movments but if you are gettign this DG2813 or better yet the Myota 8515 you are fine in the reliability. If it were a ROLEX cloen I would get the 28 K beat as everyone looks at how smooth the seconds are.

Steve

I overhauled the movement of my Sinn U2 today and gave it a full service including cleaning, lubrication and regulation. And regardless if it is swiss or not: If the rep factories do not try to improve the cleanliness of their assembly desks they will never be able to produce reliable movements.

In my whole life I have not seen such a dirty, unlubricated or wrong lubricated movement.

In my opinion asian movements of all kind can be very reliable, but not without a proper service.

This is why I suggest the Rep factories have options such as the Myota 8515. they are shipped in sealed container and are prepped with oil etc. The rep makers should clean out he inside of the watch with a q tip and then use canned air to blow out any debre before putting int he new movement. If the environment of the factory is dusty etc then it will get into the watch. A sall amount of dust is like a Large rock to the watch movment. A good example is a Digital camera with a moving lens. these are very precise instruments you see for about $ 100 USa with zoom. If you take them to the Beach and even if you are careful a small amount of sand will get lodged in the watch (wind blowing sand) and your camera zoom is not working. these factories are not sterile operating rooms and are most likely basement overcrowded and dirty. A quartz movment is a nice "choice" to offer buyers. i would buy a Japanese Quartz (Citizen) movement for reliabilty over any Asian auto movement.See how much demand and take it from there.

Steve

Nice idea but there are problems. If you look at both movments the hands fit on different size posts (widths) on the movements. you may also need a different movement holder. I did a lot of research on this. I also own a few 7750 and Swiss ETA Clones . I found that the 21J is just as Reliable as the Asian ETA Clone. What you give up is the smoother ticking of the second hands, lack of hacking, and the 21J is not quite as precise as the ETA in accuracty. The 21J DG 2813 is a copy of a Myota 8515 Citizen movement and and has been in use for years Since 1970's. It is sort of like the Seiko Auto movment in my 007 Diver. The Rotor only winds in one direction while the ETA style winds in both directions. I honestly would buy a Quartz movement over any of the Auto movements as I really want a watch that works but looks cool to me. The price difference is also a factor in the SInn watch. For $218 you get the Asian ETA copy (no Swiss real ETA are avaialble or they are used for that price "rebuilt"). For $ 128 the 21J. If both watches are just as reliable I will go for the 21j. I also read that that if you plan on NOT servicing the movement you are better with the 21j . This Sinn has the same parts (saphire crystal, case , strap) on BOTH models. Most often you get the mineral crystal on Quartz and 21 J but not this one. The shipping is the same on both. There are many cheap 21J movments but if you are gettign this DG2813 or better yet the Myota 8515 you are fine in the reliability. If it were a ROLEX cloen I would get the 28 K beat as everyone looks at how smooth the seconds are.

Steve

Thanks Steve for excellent info. I think you saved me a lot of trouble. Guess I have to come up with a new plan :rolleyes:

Mani

I have many of both movements and find that that the 21J's are totally reliable. I have some that are 4-5 years old and run just fine and are still accurate. If it breaks I can get the movement for about 20 bucks and just swap it. For the difference in price my take is the 21j's will last for many years.