When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

ETA 2836-2 - Clone or Real Deal

Dudemeister

Can anyone tell me if this is a real ETA movement, or is it a clone. Does the PH next to the ETA logo represent a specific factory (like in the Phillipines)?

If this were a true chinese clone, I would doubt they would put something like this PH on it, they'd make sure it's exactly like the Swiss one.

So what do you guys think ? real or fake, and what does the PH mean?

ETA_2836-2.jpg

Thanks

Show me the gears that take power off the rotor. Easy tell. This is the ETA movement from my ca1962 vintage, gen solid gold Arola.

See the 2 gears in the upper left corner of the photo? All those drilled holes ... are to reduce weight. Chinese ETA clones are lazy and only have half of those holes. Not all of them.

post-22602-125382694472_thumb.jpg

Show me the gears that take power off the rotor. Easy tell. This is the ETA movement from my ca1962 vintage, gen solid gold Arola.

See the 2 gears in the upper left corner of the photo? All those drilled holes ... are to reduce weight. Chinese ETA clones are lazy and only have half of those holes. Not all of them.

post-22602-125382694472_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately, I don't have this movement in my hands, I'm looking to buy it, but I'm not sure it's a copy or the real thing. The vendor wants $80 each, which would be worth it if it's the real mcCoy, but not if it's a clone.

They only have one other picture posted, but you can only see a partial image of one of the gears you'tre talking about. Here it is:

ETA_2836-2_1.jpg