When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How long should a movement last from a dealer before she finally gives out?

Prsist

bought my Ebel 1911 in April 2009 and she shot craps about a month ago, needs a complete movt servicing. My IWC Aquatimer I bought in May 2008 stops every once in awhile, especially if I set her on her side. I know the movements come dirty but 5 months and they die? Am I expecting too much from a rep? Only the a7750's do I have trouble with. All my asian 21j and swiss eta copies do fine.

As a standard instead of exception to the rule.. I usually have my A7750's serviced soon after I receive them ... either that or swap it for an eta 7750 ... if your "lucky" you'll receive a 7750 that is better than others..

Sad to say it is the nature of our hobby.... <_<

You need to take care on winding it is the PR is exhausted ... changing the day-date.. etc.

R

Lani is right, this is the nature of this hobby. QC is not existent. Movements are assembled and installed in much less then a clean environment. Any lubrication on the piece is more then likely left over from manufacturing. The manufactures do not clean their components and assemble them with proper lubrication. Any piece I have bought, I tear the movement apart, clean it and properly lubricate it. I had yet, not serviced a rep there were when I was done I had a pea size piece of Rodico that was not full of metal shavings, and who only knows what else. The best you can do is get a rep. with a ETA movement. These movements are properly lubricated but still, this does not help when metal shavings are still present form the machining of the case. :drinks:

the A7750 is a good movement if serviced properly.. but the eta 7750 is what it is.. from assembly to the different shape of teeth in the gears..

so say you spend 150 usd for good servicing of your A7750 or you could spend 350 to 360 for a eta 7750 .. I have several eta 7750 movements, that I haven't used yet.. I normally buy them if I can get a good price on them.. I have spent 450 on one but that one is wrapped in the eta factory seal package...

economically servicing the A7750 is the way to go.. it all depends on how much you value and more importantly .. how much wrist time your going to give the watch...imo..I put the eta 7750's in the watches I deem excellent.. ie.. Breitling. black steel.... IWC CD .. Slevin...etc.

Conversly.. I still have the old 7750's (before the A7750's came out) going strong.. a lot of times you will either wind it manually too much and damage the movement or not be aware of the postion of the hands when changing the DD wheels..and also damage the movement.

Lani's answered it all...

ETA prices are going up...so an ETA movement at $400+, and the movement swap at another $100 adds to $500 compared to $200 for a full service.

Along with prices going up are ETA movements going to even be available since they are are only going to be selling fully built movements to established firms? This is of course was to help stop the rep. industry from using their movements.

When I build something it's one thing. But if I have to pour hundreds into something as soon as I get it then it's not worth buying. Just my .02.

On the main question though. The dealers don't see the watches much less assemble them. So it's kinda hard to warranty the stuff much past it running when you get it.

Well it's really hard to say how long it will last, the best thing to have is a good rep friendly watchmaker or asian-dealer who will help you service it for you even after 5-6 months because servicing it here is not as expensive and spare parts are available then in USA or Europe for example.

From my own perspective as a dealer we are not involved in the assembly line or manufacturing (as how can we forsee the future), but what we can do to prevent DOA, which i started to implement after a few DOA, and non-function after x days, or x weeks... is to prev.

Test the power-reserve and accuracy of the movement before shipping it off (we still cannot account for how it gets shipped tho). Because if it were badly assembled (the movement) the power-reserve and the timing will tell usually immediatly.

So what I do with my current orders (i implemented this a few months ago) is to fully wind them (i put them on a cyclotester) sync the watches with a Quartz watch, and after 30+ hours check if the A.Still runs > Power-reserve B.Runs in sync with the Quartz

I will post a pic of this after this reply soon...

Edited by EuroTimez

Well it's really hard to say how long it will last, the best thing to have is a good rep friendly watchmaker or asian-dealer who will help you service it for you even after 5-6 months because servicing it here is not as expensive and spare parts are available then in USA or Europe for example.

From my own perspective as a dealer we are not involved in the assembly line or manufacturing (as how can we forsee the future), but what we can do to prevent DOA, which i started to implement after a few DOA, and non-function after x days, or x weeks... is to prev.

Test the power-reserve and accuracy of the movement before shipping it off (we still cannot account for how it gets shipped tho). Because if it were badly assembled (the movement) the power-reserve and the timing will tell usually immediatly.

So what I do with my current orders (i implemented this a few months ago) is to fully wind them (i put them on a cyclotester) sync the watches with a Quartz watch, and after 30+ hours check if the A.Still runs > Power-reserve B.Runs in sync with the Quartz

I will post a pic of this after this reply soon...

Thanks for sticking around and helping us with are issues.It's really nice to have a actual dealer participate In are discussions, thanks :good: Mike

Thanks Mike, for your warm comment. This is really home and I felt like I ran away from home for several months... Now that I have a customer service that supports my business. I can participate again in the forums and be an help... I plan to be here a few times daily when possible.

Edited by EuroTimez

Thanks Mike, for your warm comment. This is really home and I felt like I ran away from home for several months... Now that I have a customer service that supports my business. I can participate again in the forums and be an help... I plan to be here a few times daily when possible.

All I can say Is "welcome home" Im looking forward to doing business with you In the near future. :thumbsupsmileyanim: Mike

Euro - bench-testing is certainly helpful, but have you considered adding a timing scope to your QC regimen? In 30 seconds, a timer will tell you much more about the overall state of a movement's health than you can get by running it (for days) on a bench winder

scope0021.jpg

Oh and Chris if you find them at a good price let us know!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Freddy, I can get those ones I used to use them too at my watchmaker and still do at times... they cost here about (ehm I have to ask again, if i recall) 500usd-1000usd. I remember they were Quite expensive.

but the thing is freddy and correct me if I'm wrong... is that in reality it works differently. Because I had my watchmaker use this method prior to having done our manual method...

Now we cylcotester fully wind the power-reserve.... then sync and put it on a Quartz watch and check it after 30+ hours.

I had alot more DOA or movement's giving up after xxx days or power-reserve not working when I used that machine.. (what is the name again...is the correct name "bench-tester"). So i tend to say that on the machine and in reality it is different. But that is just my 2 cents, it could be maybe the watchmaker not doing a good job and I dont know how to operate that machine myself so that is why the manual method I am using is the best for me thus far.... as we try to keep the QC in house, to prevent watchmakers from screwing us up.

However I am interested and all ears if you have any suggestions and or ways to effective and efficiently improve our QC... maybe you can help me use that machine give me some instructions as I would have to train my staff who is in charge for QC to do it again...

Edited by EuroTimez