When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

For the Vintage Folks - 3646 Case set In Process

Watchmeister

the famous radium girls come in mind =@

i had to remove all my watches with radium dials from the house after i read about them .... but im a pussy :D

The Radium Girls ingested the Radium by licking the points on their lume application brushes, totally unrelated to wearing a Radium dialed watch.

Here's the bottom line...

Radium is comprised of a number of isotopes - including 223, 224 & 226 - all of which are present, in various quantities, in any 'lump' of the substance. These isotopes are hazardous, but only at very short distances. They do emit highly energetic charged particles (Alpha & Beta), but these particles do not travel very far at all... they will not penetrate the skin from an external source, for example.

So wearing a radium lumed watch is no problem whatsoever - the 'dangerous' particles (aka 'radiation') will not make it through the glass or metal of the watch, let alone into your skin.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i had some emails with the other one doing this thing and in the end did not commit. i guess from your post earlier in the month that was lucky for me. count me in. i wonder if it is too long before a chinese source floods the market with this quality case...

i wonder if it would be possible to get a data package of the watch. one must exist but would some one be willing to sell it and presumably many copies of it vice a lot fewer of the cases. ps hands ? type ? is there not something about to come to the forum in the new year on good hands...

nice nice work

This is not CAD CNC so I don't think we will be seeing them coming from the Chinese or anyone else. The other projects will be beautiful as well but done on CAD assisted CNC machines and with 316L steel. I do hope to eventually get mine and be able to compare. On the hands on this watch they are being made along with a dial so I will post those pics when I receive them.

Very nice case, i realy want one but at this time it' too expensicve for me to buy, but i understand price are high as the quality are here.

New plate for 240 will interest me a lot.

is this design a copyright by PAM???

I don't know but before be know as a pam design it will be a rolex design, and more commonly a design of watches of 30's.

The locking CG on 6152/1 is patented, but only the case deign of 3646 models i don't think; the new screwed lugs of today radiomir case are patented.

T - I don't think the design is copyright. The 6152 etc. were covered by a Patent (which has now expired), but Panerai have protected the crown guard with a trademark. However, the cushion case isn't unique to Panerai and hence can't be trademarked (and any original patents would have expired before 1960) - meaning you're free to reproduce them (without the Brevet engraving on the crown).

hmmmm... i think it would be easier to produce 100 of this case for a price range of $500... SUG (SINN) made very nice qulity watch case :victory: ... or Fricker in Pforzheim could do it. Let me think about.

I am also working on a non-alarm bridge for Angelus 240. The master watchmaker from "Glash

The Radium Girls ingested the Radium by licking the points on their lume application brushes, totally unrelated to wearing a Radium dialed watch.

I believe I also read somewhere how they used to paint their WHOLE bodies and scare their boyfriends in the dark and stuff... Quite tragical, knowing that the "bosses" knew about the dangers.. Personally I cant imagine even keeping such a watch at home tho, thinking of ionizing radiation makes me uneasy...

That case does look nice tho, I gotta admit.. Keep us posted please!

Edited by Neuuubeh

Here's the bottom line...

Radium is comprised of a number of isotopes - including 223, 224 & 226 - all of which are present, in various quantities, in any 'lump' of the substance. These isotopes are hazardous, but only at very short distances. They do emit highly energetic charged particles (Alpha & Beta), but these particles do not travel very far at all... they will not penetrate the skin from an external source, for example.

So wearing a radium lumed watch is no problem whatsoever - the 'dangerous' particles (aka 'radiation') will not make it through the glass or metal of the watch, let alone into your skin.

Here is to your theory M8!

Uncased Radium dial and hands:

Cased Radium dial and hands:

Edited by ravishingrick

Don't forget the all important intermediate winding wheel - whilst thinking about this project on the weekend, I noticed this wheel is completely custom to the non-alarm Angelus and would also need to be replicated for an accurate non-alarm (the alarm wheel is too big, and no other gears on an Angelus are the same dimensions :( )

intermediate wheel is different?

please explain?

i would not copy the non-alarm bridge... because this is different and would not fit 1:1 on the alarm movement

i would copy the alarm bridge but in design of the non-alarm without holes for the alarm function

Edited by t

I have a 3646 case in 316L from Watchmaster and StayBrite on this case and the weight is very very close. Staybrite was used by all Swiss watchmakers for decades (20's through the 60's)for their better watches. The 300 series steels did not come until the 60's and 70's and it improved the resistance to corrosion but it does have a somewhat different - especially when aged. In truth StayBrite was simply a brand name for Stainless Steel (Inox for those of you in the EU). As you can see from a couple of articles below StayBrite was used by everyone including Patek, Vacheron and Rolex. Rolex is the manufacturer of 3646 cases so I have always assumed it is Staybrite. It could be another brand but the metallurgy (metal composition) will be accurate to the time period. Here are a couple of interesting articles.

http://www.sswnews.com/dyknow/ShowPage.aspx?pageId=806

http://www.hautehorlogerie.org/IMG/pdf/MetallurgicalEvolutionStaybrite.pdf

So I can't say definitively that the 3646 used StayBrite but I do know that Rolex used it during the period and that all the 300 and 900 series steels came decades later.

This makes the project sound even more interesting. Thanks for posting these links

I have a 3646 case in 316L from Watchmaster and StayBrite on this case and the weight is very very close. Staybrite was used by all Swiss watchmakers for decades (20's through the 60's)for their better watches. The 300 series steels did not come until the 60's and 70's and it improved the resistance to corrosion but it does have a somewhat different - especially when aged. In truth StayBrite was simply a brand name for Stainless Steel (Inox for those of you in the EU). As you can see from a couple of articles below StayBrite was used by everyone including Patek, Vacheron and Rolex. Rolex is the manufacturer of 3646 cases so I have always assumed it is Staybrite. It could be another brand but the metallurgy (metal composition) will be accurate to the time period. Here are a couple of interesting articles.

http://www.sswnews.com/dyknow/ShowPage.aspx?pageId=806

http://www.hautehorlogerie.org/IMG/pdf/MetallurgicalEvolutionStaybrite.pdf

So I can't say definitively that the 3646 used StayBrite but I do know that Rolex used it during the period and that all the 300 and 900 series steels came decades later.

Please note that the original 3646 cases were made by a machining process using a series of cams to guide the lathes and mills (for both consistency and speed)... which was the precursor to CNC machining. They were not made individually by hand per se, only perhaps fine-tuning with finishing files and polishing wheels was the only time "hand-made" came into play.

maybe a lack of translation and english language knowledge

if its of Staybrite Steel than its cool, and i send respect to the hard work...

i found some info on Staybrite Alloy, so this Alloy is wrong but an easy to shape material

„The Metallurgical Evolution of Staybrite Alloys for Watch Case Applications"

http://www.hempel-metals.com/UserFiles/File/The%20Metallurgical%20Evolution%20of%20Staybrite.pdf?PHPSESSID=2b643c7f7ee09f35a8ef7be9f3ccac8a

Helmut

Edited by earlgrey-erfurt