When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

(U)PO buying advice

Guest OrenG

No, they are not the same!

The UPO lite is discontinued, and the one being presented as Lite has wrong HE valve placement

and different dial, just to name a few differences.

Alright Thanks for clearing up the confusion.

We offer the UPO as well, and as fitmic said, it is NOT the same (lite vs UPO)

I can tell you since I'm a official dealer here. The glass is also mineral glass last time I had one in my hands. The UPO is the UPO and most dealers sell it, most watches come from the same sources factories, there are only a few that others cannot get... and it is usually not really that one has a better one then another as you have to judge almost on individual basis in my opinion as sometimes the factories varry or change / update. What we do, is QC'd the whole watch, incl test timing and accuracy, we also take pics before shipment to show you what you get before shipping and for approval. So you know exactly what you will be getting. Have a look at our website if you wish to see some other prev orders-pics.

For example you have the 42mm, it comes with short second hand, we replace this (only we do this as far as I'm aware) with long seconds hand (like gen)... then yes in some cases we offer a different better product, but in other aspect it is the same build. As dealers aren't manufactorous... altho some dealers have better sources than others and offer larger selection, we offer e.g mbk quality where other dealers can't get their hands on them.

Edited by EuroTimez

the lite/noob model reps have the asian 2813 movement. This has a lower beat (21,xxx VPH) What that means is the second hand moves more choppy. The more expensive model has the swiss/clone ETA, which is a high beat (28,800 VPH) to you this means the second hand moves more fluid, sweeping exactly the same way a real rolex would. The clone/swiss ETA movements are higher quality, and sweep smoothly. They simply are a better choice in just about every circumstance.

Interesting point here with the Planet Ocean, is that the genuine, using Caliber 2500 (based off of a ETA 2892-2) vibrates at a speed of 25, 200 VPH. This to you means it has a sortve choppy sweeping hand. The low cost alternative asian 2813 movement in this case isn't going to give you away because the sweep is "choppy". For about $100, I strongly urge you to give Narikka's POrikka a try. the PO is a good watch to go "lite" on if your not going to try and build a superfrankenperfectPO.

Here's mine on Narikaa's leather strap

SDC12395.jpg

On rep rubber PO strap

SDC12341.jpg

On bracelet

SDC12324.jpg

We already suggested he try a POrikaa and he didn't seem to like it much.

Yes, I took your suggestion and I contacted narikaa. He said the reps he gets won't fit gen parts. Although this isn't my goal (to put gen parts on a rep) I'd like to have the option.

OH I must have you confused with someone else. I thought you said that Franken watches were silly and you would never do that. Must be 2 different people I am thinking of!

There are lots of threads like these.

If you're going to parse my words, then yes that's what I said. My argument was that some people will replace everything except the movement with gen parts, which gives you a "gen" watch with no warranty, and cannot be sold as genuine.

It seems that the bracelet, crystal, and bezel are a must, next down is the dial and hands which until I actually see the rep, I don't have any plans for replacing those.

Edited by OrenG

If you're going to parse my words, then yes that's what I said. My argument was that some people will replace everything except the movement with gen parts, which gives you a "gen" watch with no warranty, and cannot be sold as genuine.

It seems that the bracelet, crystal, and bezel are a must, next down is the dial and hands which until I actually see the rep, I don't have any plans for replacing those.

For me the whole franken project is a challenging hobby. I never intend to pass as a gen or sell as a gen, its just fun to do and gives a nice rewarding end result. For me the dial and hands was the most important modification, due to the overall quality and effect the gen dial has on the watch. You only really appreciate the crystal once its in the watch, the gens double AR is simply beautiful!

voila

(gen dial, hands, crystal and bezel insert.)

Picture027.jpg

• 3 months later...

Does have anybody both planet ocean versions (lite/UPO) and can make a comparsion photo of them?

Welcome inferno..

seeing this is your first post.. it may be wise to go with the eta movement for the UPO as the lite version is cheap but if you plan on wearing the watch and getting good mileage from it.. the eta would give you that for a little more $$..

just ma .02

AC/Lani

Having stated that you would never buy a rep Oren.. and in fact having never bought one yet.. a franken does not give you a gen. without a warranty card.. and of course it cannot be sold as a gen.. that is definitely not what we do.. it is a hobby for us..

now are ya going to bore us with another 100 questions "again".. then flick us the bird as you exit "back door" ?? :thumbdown: