When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

177 and 036 Ti

lanikai

Some of my Ti's bought about 2 years ago... Edit Add: no swan neck :) .. these cases have been oxidized.. they do not come like this from the dealers.. :)

upon request..here's some pics

pam177176002.jpg

pam177176005.jpg

pam177176001.jpg

I don't have a 177G but you get the idea of the sausage dial

pam177176004.jpg

pam177176006.jpg

pam177176009.jpg

pam177176007.jpg

pam177176011.jpg

pam177176008.jpg

pam177176015.jpg

pam177176016.jpg

pam177176017.jpg

Hope that helps :thumbsupsmileyanim:

AC

Lani

Nice! How did you get the Ti oxidized Lani? They look great!

I did an in depth tutorial on how to do this.. it is really time consuming but adds the genuine look to the Ti ..imo.. It's somewhere in the Panerai section.. I did it in 08 or sometime before that I believe B)

it is darker than the pics show.. if the pics were taken out in full sun you would see the difference...

I used to soooo love the Ti look.. me thinks it's time to rekindle the relationships.. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

@hackR ... anytime ma man !!

AC

L

Thanks for that Lani. HackR and I have been having a conversation about this...so this looks great. I don't know how you can pop off such great photos so quickly...amazing.

Excuse my Pam Noob question here but I thought the little spring clip thing pressing on the regulator highlighted by the arrow below was the swan neck (shows you my technical understanding of this). I don't see that clip in the movement shots you took. Am I missing something??

swan_neck.jpg

Thanks for that Lani. HackR and I have been having a conversation about this...so this looks great. I don't know how you can pop off such great photos so quickly...amazing.

You are correct .. it's my brain fart.. got it mixed up..

Excuse my Pam Noob question here but I thought the little spring clip thing pressing on the regulator highlighted by the arrow below was the swan neck (shows you my technical understanding of this). I don't see that clip in the movement shots you took. Am I missing something??

swan_neck.jpg

You are correct .. it's my brain fart.. got it mixed up..

No sweat...just was a bit confused. I am more than willing to defer judgement to the man with the watches in hand!!

Are these things light like Ti? Somebody in the other thread on the Ti 177's posted that they thought they were heavy like SS and did not think they were actual Ti. If you did the Ti oxidization...I'm assuming yours are the real deal.

No sweat...just was a bit confused. I am more than willing to defer judgement to the man with the watches in hand!!

Are these things light like Ti? Somebody in the other thread on the Ti 177's posted that they thought they were heavy like SS and did not think they were actual Ti. If you did the Ti oxidization...I'm assuming yours are the real deal.

that's not the first time I made that error come to think of it.. :wounded1:

yes.. if it wasn't 100% Ti they would not oxidize...

A friend sent me his Ti case form EU awhile ago to oxidize for him and the only thing that would oxidize were the pushers.. I believe that aluminum was used.. imo due to the light weight.. the case that was supposed to be Ti was definitely not.

AC

lani

Lani I don't know if you use you photographic skills to earn some $$$$ but you sure should.

But........

And I really don't want to rain on your parade here.

And I know exactly what you mean. As I used to think the same thing.

And I realise I have become a WIS rentive PAM head but.....

There are no swan necks there.

Sorry

ST4

My 2nd rep after finding my way into this group of ours, was my 177H. My 1st and only PAM. Straps give such versatility to Panerai that I've never found I needed more than one in my collection.

R, I had recently mentioned to you that I searched every single thread you made here, and never found that oxidization tutorial! Any chance you could lend a hand hunting it down?

While i'm at it- Your photo's are phenominal, but i'm not "seeing" the oxidized look. They simply look a little darker than my 177H. Could I bother you twice in a post to show me with your photographers eye what I am missing?

A lot of members have been asking lately if these are truly titanium. I got mine about 2 years ago from the same source as Lani, and I can tell you with certainty they are in fact Ti.

'P4GTR' date='28 September 2009 - 05:32 PM' timestamp='1254202344' post='728114']

R, I had recently mentioned to you that I searched every single thread you made here, and never found that oxidization tutorial! Any chance you could lend a hand hunting it down?

NO :lol:

While i'm at it- Your photo's are phenominal, but i'm not "seeing" the oxidized look. They simply look a little darker than my 177H. Could I bother you twice in a post to show me with your photographers eye what I am missing?

to show the true colour I need to take it out in the direct sun.. indirect light bounces off the metal and lightens the colour.. but take a look at this..the Tantalium is oxidized where the Ti is on the case..

br02pamcollectionbcesil.jpg

A lot of members have been asking lately if these are truly titanium. I got mine about 2 years ago from the same source as Lani, and I can tell you with certainty they are in fact Ti.

Some other dealers peddled Ti when all that was Ti was the pushers on the tantalium chrono.. but Joshua's has always been the real deal.

AC

Lani

Lani I don't know if you use you photographic skills to earn some $$$$ but you sure should.

But........

And I really don't want to rain on your parade here.

And I know exactly what you mean. As I used to think the same thing.

And I realise I have become a WIS rentive PAM head but.....

There are no swan necks there.

Sorry

ST4

:lol: .. that's the second time I brain farted with that error.. in one year.. hope I can remember.. :good:

L

i sent an email to andrew and josh regarding what the case of these models was REALLY made of:

Josh: "yes.. Its titanium."

Andrew: "It is 100% titanium and not alloy or SS. money back if it's not titanium. It is significantly lighter than SS. thanks"

:huh:

R-

Hey R-

Ti is much lighter than SS.....check the Breit Aero you got from me! It weighs like plastic! My 036 is much lighter than the 111/113/207A!

Hope that helps!

Cheers!

F-

• 1 month later...

Interesting, wasn't aware that the Ti look could be further improved :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Here's the how to:

Titanium metal's corrosion resistance is due to a stable, protective, strongly adherent oxide film. This film forms instantly when a fresh surface is exposed to air or moisture. The oxide film formed on titanium at room temperature immediately after a clean surface is exposed to air is 12-16 Angstroms thick. After 70 days it is about 50 Angstroms. It continues to grow slowly reaching a thickness of 80-90 Angstroms in 545 days and 250 Angstroms in four years. The film growth is accelerated under strongly oxidizing conditions, such as heating in air, anodic polarization in an electrolyte or exposure to oxidizing agents such as HNO3, C®O3, etc.

The composition of this film varies from TiO2 at the surface to Ti2O3, to TiO at the metal interface. Oxidizing conditions promote the formation of TiO2 so that in such environments the film is primarily TiO2. This film is transparent in its normal thin configuration and not detectable by visual means.

A study of the corrosion resistance of titanium is basically a study of the properties of the oxide film. The oxide film on titanium is very stable and is only attacked by a few substances, most notably, hydrofluoric acid. Titanium is capable of healing this film almost instantly in any environment where a trace of moisture or oxygen is present because of its strong affinity for oxygen.