When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A very special franken

Ptolomeo

A very special franken: Call it Rolex 1685 (by Tribal and The Zigmeister)

Hi,

It's been a long time since I shared with you, my friends, one of my projects. A lot of work, very busy days, you know. But today is a different day and I wanted to present you a very special franken, made by our masters Tribal and The Zigmeister.

This one started being a conventional red 1680 franken, made by Tribal, an incredible work of art. Some old pics:

IMG_2943.JPG

IMG_2986.JPG

IMG_2991.JPG

IMG_2950.JPG

wallpaper1680rn5.jpg

The parts in this watch were:

- A Genuine insert (not a vintage insert. It was the Luminova replacement Rolex technical service uses).

- Genuine bezel!!!!!!

- Genuine 127 crystal.

- A refinished and expensive NDT dial.

- Genuine tube and crown.

- Genuine springbars.

- Low beat swiss ETA.

- MBW case fully modded by Tribal: rounded sides, CG, lug holes, etc.

- The best not genuine 93150 bracelet I've ever seen.

- Etc.

You can read the completed story here: http://www.rwgforum.com/topic/65486-my-franken-1680/page__p__382921__fromsearch__1&#entry382921

After making this watch I realized that I needed to buy a genuine 1680 (a white one this time) and this one started to lose wrist time. So it needed a change and I sent it to The Zigmeister.

The master gave the dial a completed treatment with his mix of Tritium and SL, serviced the movement and replaced the pearl by a vintage one. But I needed something else so I thought a genuine T39 superdome could look great in an MBW 1680 case. And here are the results:

The 1685

img4491u.jpg

img4488w.jpg

img4482d.jpg

img4480d.jpg

img4468l.jpg

img4466.jpg

img4460.jpg

img4449p.jpg

img4447m.jpg

img4444.jpg

img4442d.jpg

img4442j.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Verrrrrrrrrrrrrry nice! I much prefer the watch without the cyclops.

A small point with terminology, the "superdome" is a massive humongous domed crystal fitted to early 1665 Sea Dwellers, and the later ones still used the tropic 39 like you've got, but it was much "flatter". The one you have is the flatter, more contemporary T39.

And it looks GREAT on this watch! :tu:

Verrrrrrrrrrrrrry nice! I much prefer the watch without the cyclops.

A small point with terminology, the "superdome" is a massive humongous domed crystal fitted to early 1665 Sea Dwellers, and the later ones still used the tropic 39 like you've got, but it was much "flatter". The one you have is the flatter, more contemporary T39.

And it looks GREAT on this watch! :tu:

Thanks for the info, my friend.