When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

"NoDate" Submariner Question

jmb

Hopefully this is an easy question - Did the "No Date" Submariner always come with lug holes and if not when was the transition to a case style without holes.

Thanks,

Rosnik, That's one of the new "Z" serials? Looks very nice. I guess I'm going to have to figure out how to correctly locate and finish drilling the lug holes so mine won't immediately look phoney. This will be a chore...

You may be right. A year or 2 ago, I posted a tutorial on creating a working He valve in an MBW case (required drilling holes through the side of the case), which may be helpful if you can locate it via the search. I think it was for my 5514 Comex Sub, so you might try searching some of those terms in the Rolex forum.

I plan on doing it in my milling machine as soon as I decide the best way to accurately locate the holes. I will spotface where I need to drill with a 1/16" carbide endmill, center drill, then drill the thru-hole. This process will need to be done once per end as once there is a thru-hole in one lug it will be as simple as drilling all the way through the other lug. The drilling is easy, the locating is the bugger-bear...

Yeah, I can make the holes whatever size I want! :-) And, although it may be considered cheating by some, I can always just locate and drill a shallow hole in each lug and epoxy in a nub of pin just so when examined the watch will at least "look" correct. But, I really rather prefer to locate and drill properly if humanly possible.

I've often wondered why watchmakers didn't actually tap these holes and secure the band with two "set screws" instead of a flimsy spring-loaded pin. I may have to do that on one someday, really would be pretty easy to drill and tap the holes. I could then take a stainless steel set screw, chuck it in lathe, and turn down the end of it to the proper "pin" diameter. I'm starting to get excited about this idea, time to order me another $40 Sub and get drilling!!! :-D

I looked at your project sub and it IS superb! Mine will not be nearly so nice but hopefully will look OK...

Edited by jmb

OK, I have "sacrificed" one of my rare $40 Submariners to practice locating and drilling lug holes. I think it went fairly well, I did get one hol a few thousandths off but I don't think it'll really be noticeable when worn. I now need different springbars! Can anybody point me in an inexpensive direction?