When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DLC Coating a UN Maxi Marine - Opinions Needed

Guest avitt

I've been asked to DLC coat a genuine Ulysse Nardin diver.

The bezel on this piece consists of a knurled outer ring, and a decorated insert. If I coat the insert, I would have to remove and replace the pearl (which is like the pearl on Breitlings, with a glass coating). So, I'm thinking of leaving the insert uncoated...It has a nice, gray finish, and I think the contrast would look pretty good.

Here are couple of shots of the parts...Please let me know what you think.

img6191e.jpg

img6189a.jpg

Thanks Lani!

Unfortunately, some of the coating work that I've been doing doesn't allow me the satisfaction of seeing the finished watches...It's just parts in, and parts out.

But I have a feeling that this piece will be showing up on some forum somewhere!

LOL...You'd be amazed at the genuine pieces that I've been DLC coating recently...Rolex Submariners, Seadwellers, GMTs, Explorers, Daytonas, Cartier Roadsters, Silberstein, etc.

...I don't ask questions - To each their own!

Besides, why would it look any worse than UN's own Black Ocean, or Monaco YS?

UNW26338LE3.jpg

ulysse-nardine-monaco-ys-maxi-marine-diver-watch.jpg

Not saying the final product is going to look bad, On the contrary we already know your coating is tops.

I just can't get over the fact that someone is doing this to a gen watch.

Carry on :)

The fact that the watch is gen, is completely and utterly irrelevant, to the point that the owner wants it coated... It's the same as people who modify cars, or who build fantasy reps (or even fantasy gens, if their pockets are deep enough :lol: ) It's all about making something custom and unique. The fact the watch is gen, or its price tag probably never even crossed the owner's mind :D

On topic, I think that leaving the insert un-coated would make for a really nice contrast/key detail :) I can't wait to see the results :victory:

Avitt, which colour is the dial? Needs to be in the calculation for the end result IMO.

If you look at the Monaco you posted, that's basicly how it will end up if you leave the insert uncoated, with SS highlights instead of gold. Quite nice actually! But depends on the dial... :D

I want to thank everyone for their input! Your feedback has helped to confirm my decision to leave the insert uncoated (I can always do it later...)

I should be able to show a picture of the coated results in about 10 days. Thanks again!

hi guys, I think it would be unique project, but a slightly off topic, where and how can you do DLC coating Avitt... sorry if this question have been answered a while ago, I wasn't on the forum for little while :D

tkx in advance...

Hi EuroTimez. I am located in California. For about 2 years, I've been providing DLC coating services to customers including:

• individuals
  • watch modifiers
  • micro-manufacturers
  • strap makers
  • refurbishing houses

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here is the follow-up:

img6330kv.jpg

img6332b.jpg

img6336y.jpg

The contrast on the bezel actually doesn't look as good to me as I had hoped. I delivered it to the customer, but won't be surprised if the owner decides to coat the insert later...

The contrast on the bezel actually doesn't look as good to me as I had hoped. I delivered it to the customer, but won't be surprised if the owner decides to coat the insert later...

The finish is superb, but I would have to agree with you about the appearance of the insert. I'm surprized, as I had thought it would have made a nicer contrast, but I guess such things can't always be predicted... :pardon:

Top results though :victory: