When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Project #2

JohnG

Project #1 was my stealth mini Fiddy.

I got a couple of donor vintage pocket watches not long ago and this past week a watch came from Getat that will be canibalized. I realized that by the time you bought the case, dial, hands, and strap, you have paid for a whole watch, so I got a whole one and ordered it with another gun-metal movement which will go into another future project...

So, the first movement I am using is the 1918 Illinois which is losing only 13 seconds per day.

I pulled the movement, not difficult at all, comes out through the front, but the stem stays in the case, then you must remove the crown and the stem comes out from the inside - I will have to figure out how to adapt this system to the rad case - so that the stem doesnt drop out. Anyway, I will figure it out, but I at least put the movement into the rad case to see how it looks behind the display back. This will sit about 1mm lower when the rim is shaved so the movement goes all the way in....

Here are some pics:

Illinois pocket watch:

Imagen137.jpg

Imagen122.jpg

Getat 47mm to be canibalized:

Imagen010.jpg

Disassembly of Illinois:

Imagen003.jpg

Imagen005.jpg

Disassembly of Rad:

Imagen012.jpg

Bezel pulled from Rad:

Imagen014.jpg

In goes the Illinois:

Imagen020.jpg

Super Sexeh:

Imagen024.jpg

I will update this thread as I advance with the project. Tomorrow I would like to shave that lip, then do some work on the dial, and then get age the strap. Gonna have to start thinking about how to adapt the stem.... hmmmm...

It's a beautiful movement so I love the display back concept. However, having no love for Panerai, I would have just loved to own that Illinois pocket watch.

There was a thread here recently regarding RGM building a latterday mechanical movement within the US (I'm lazy or I'd link it. Maybe a gung-ho noob will :whistling: ). That started a putsch that it (the RGM) merely looked like an ETA knock off. However, these old American pocket watch movements really are the impetus for all that came later from European designers with regard to wrist watch movements that needed to be robust, especially the Panerai.

Towit and off topic but apropos; Hans Wilsdorf, although Bavarian, got his start (in business) in Great Britain with Wilsdorf Davis. If it weren't for the first world war, and the ensuing tax picture that drove Wilsdorf to Switzerland, Rolex would have been a British firm and with it all the accolades. Pity.

Anywhoo, I think your project is a poetic justice to the grass roots of the Panerai line. It's 'full circle'. Kind of like the North American P-51 Mustang. In it's ultimate version; the P-51D, was powered by the US built Packard V-1650, a two-stage two-speed supercharged version of the legendary Rolls-Royce Merlin engine. A British powerplant.

Good luck.

Thanks guys! It is going to take me some time to figure it all out, but using search in the forums you find all the info you need!

Anywhoo, I think your project is a poetic justice to the grass roots of the Panerai line. It's 'full circle'. Kind of like the North American P-51 Mustang. In it's ultimate version; the P-51D, was powered by the US built Packard V-1650, a two-stage two-speed supercharged version of the legendary Rolls-Royce Merlin engine. A British powerplant.

Good luck.

Yes! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

How will the hands fit ??

looks great.. how loud is the movement ??

The hands (openings) are a little large, but I think I can use a punch to make them a little smaller. The hour hand will require the most work, which is better, because if there is much deformation of the opening it will be hidden by the minute hand, which is ALMOST perfect, literally a hair large.

No seconds, will probably use a cool sandwich cali dial that I got from Getat and stripped down to the brass....

Playing around with the sandwich Cali dial that is going into the Illinois Radiomir, not sure if this is how it will end up, going to play with various finishes (both on dial and base plate) before I decide, this is the finish I gave it today:

Imagen048.jpg

Imagen056.jpg

Imagen059.jpg

I'm liking that finish :tu: What other finishes did you have in mind?

verdigris - using ammonia and salt, will see if I like it, but don't want bright green, more of a blue-green that is not too loud, and then I will try ferric nitrate - this will give a light brown (dark straw) to dark brown, depending application... that is the theory anyway.

More pics tomorrow....

verdigris - using ammonia and salt, will see if I like it, but don't want bright green, more of a blue-green that is not too loud, and then I will try ferric nitrate - this will give a light brown (dark straw) to dark brown, depending application... that is the theory anyway.

More pics tomorrow....

That sounds absolutely fantastic, I can't wait to see the results :good: