When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1655 in transit...thoughts?

sbl1984

For an asian 21j, it's not too bad. The date font jumps out at me, but I'm betting some days will be better than others. A good datewheel overlay would correct that- this looks like the standard asian 21j datewheel- no overlay.

Pluses are the lugholes, decent crystal, good bracelet w/ the detachable end links, 6mm crown. Considering what you paid, it's a good deal. Coming up with a kick-a$$ 1655 certainly ain't easy.

Thanks. I too noticed the odd "26" date. I'm awaiting a Clarks 116 crystal to replace the current one. As for datewheels, in your response, can the 21j take replacements (from Ofrei, etc.?) or should I just swap it with a higher beat (albeit too smooth) movement?

I don't know if a Clark's 116 will fit or not. It's kinda hit or miss trying to fit a crystal on a rep. Might be best to just stick w/ what you have there.

Datewheel overlays are tricky also. The correct datewheel for this watch is the one on a Rolex 1575 movement- flat top 3's and open 6's and 9's (except 26). Hard to find a copy of that one. Next might be an old MBW open 6's and 9's w/ round top 3's- close, so to speak. Even a Rolex datewheel w/ correct fonts and closed 6's and 9's would be an improvement like www.cubic-works.com sells. Once again, maybe you just enjoy it the way it is- wear it and age it. If anyone really goes gaga over it, it might be best to admit it's a rep. The gens are worth $15-20K these days. Don't even bother w/ a higher beat movement- the gen is a 19.8k beat anyway- the asian 21j is 21.6k.

Someone mentioned Andrew was coming out with a better rep of this watch- might keep an eye peeled for that one. The great thing about your rep is it didn't cost much and you can still enjoy it. 99.9% of the people have no idea what watch it is anyway.

Alligoat is right, keep it as it is. All 1655 reps leave a lot to be desired. I think the crystal looks okay -maybe not mag on the cyclops. The Omega Flightmaster hands mod that I stumbled onto probably won't work since the asian mvmt won't likely fit the hands.

If you can fit an ETA mvmt in the case it does open up more possibilities for you with mods; hands swap (but the GMT hand might be a problem) and better DW. Slartlibartfast has the great DW water decal technique with an 2836 ETA overlay. Click on my signature link for the Omega FM Hands if you can go the ETA route.

Good luck on the project!

Looks promising.. TMG inspired my 1655 project.. is this the new release that dealers said they were working on .. it is a vast improvement from what we all had to source to get to a reasonably good rep..

this one took a number of different reps .. the crystal is a Tropic 116 the hands .. Omega flight hands.. the crown and tube genuine and the bracelet is genuine..

1655001.jpg

good Luck.. I got my info from TMG as well..

AC

L