When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Project suggestions - my first franken

catboy

Considering his age and your budget and since it's going to be a new experience for you, I think a vintage Datejust would be perfect. Parts are relatively inexpensive and are plentiful. For less than $1000 you could easily get a gen case, dial, bracelet and a Eta movement. That's a watch that was hugely popular and quite a status symbol back when he was younger.

There are also a lot of previous posts and tutorials available on that subject.

sounds like a good plan i will look into that and see what i can find..

i was also thinking about maybe a gmt or something, however i don't know anything about these models as i've only ever really been interested in the divers and daytona's!..

any other ideas?

Catboy, vintage DJ is perfect, I'm building two at the minute, so if you need any help sourcing bits, let me know, I may have a few suggestions. GMT is kinda tricky because of the movement which would probably have to be a 2836 with GMT module. This means incorrect hand stack and lack of 'jumping' GMT hand adjustment. I'm budgeting around $600-$700 for my first one, and less than that for the second which will have a leather strap. If you go for a DJ you need a 2836 (high beat) or 2846 (low beat movement, correctish for vintage DJ) and a Stilty conversion ring (pm him, they're $40 shipped), you can usually pick up a watch with either on ebay for not a huge amount and rob out the movement. A&E watches on ebay have a case available at the moment - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rolex-Men-Genuine-SS-Case-16014-White-Gold-Bezel-Crown_W0QQitemZ280401138939QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item414935d4fb&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262 - and a couple of dials, but you may pick up cheaper if you're willing to wait. A&E will usually accept a decent offer too.

Good luck with the project!!