When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What is the proper procedure for installing/reinstalling crystal

jmb

This may have been covered but it seems I don't get along very well with this search engine. About all I've been able to gather is to "use a crystal press" and seat the crystal!

The crystals all seem to push out easily with thumb pressure after the movement has been removed. Upon doing whatever and cleaning everything up the time comes to re-install the crystal or to install a new crystal. Do you put the gasket on the crystal and press it in as an "assembly" or put the gasket in the case THEN press the crystal down into the gasket. I am inclined to think that the gasket should be installed into the case first but without the bottom of the crystal being beveled how does it start correctly/straight and keep from deforming the gasket or shaving off a chunk of it?

Thanks...

Oh, yeah, this style is different than the ones I'm messing with. These are the cheapie Sub variants with the pressed in crystal that seats into a plastic/nylon "L" cross-sectioned gasket...

"Sub variants with the pressed in crystal that seats into a plastic/nylon "L" cross-sectioned "

Wat u tokin bout! So, do I need that "L" thing? Koz it's not there? The other reason why I stripped this down!

I greased the cover o-ring and crown.....and it turned into a Submarine......from the inside, after the Water test!! :cry2:

@JMB --> good inquiry...

many folks are looking to send crystals to chief or others for double AR...and some of the trusted watchsmiths no longer offer the service of crystal removal/AR coordination/reinstallation...i, too, was looking for a tutorial on how to do this - knowing it can vary from watch to watch...but many of us do not have a crystal press - so knowing how and if it should be attempted at all is key...

i found a tutorial over at RG on how to do this for a Navi World/GMT...which looks to be a process you can take for some similarly designed Breits... RG Navitimer bezel/crystal fix tutorial

there's also one from Chieftang that uses a crytsal press here: RG Crystal removal with press

@Hike --> nice parting of the Milsub... :good:

Hike, why did you "brutalize" that poor watch!!?? You're meaner to 'em than I am!!

I suspect you might be missing something or need to "pookey" the crystal in. Does the Milsub have a "click" bezel? If not, the O-ring probably puts tension/rubs on the bottom of the bezel to keep it in place after rotating to desired position. I've never figured out why the crystals aren't set with clear RTV as it's waterproof, lasts for years, and quite strong. Look at the big chunks of glass on racquet-ball courts and they are bonded edgewise with the stuff. I don't see what would be wrong with setting in a crystal like this with RTV, installing bezel to get everything centered, let it cure, remove bezel and trim off excess with a scalpel...

hackR, this will be for Rolex style reps but I'll check out the links you provided. I have a cheapie press from Harbor Freight but am not 100% sure I'm doing things correctly and ofrei is back-ordered on gaskets for 30.0 mm crystals so I don't want to run the risk of tearing one up... When drilling lug holes I don't have a lot of choice other than removing the crystal. I tried "jigging up" a sub in my mill and even with light vise pressure with rubber padding the crystal shattered.

A few years back, I talked about a book I got hold of, called "The Watch Crystal Encyclopedia"..the author is Norman Helfand.

It is put out by a shop in Florida, and is most instructive. Runs about 80 pages, and covers a multitude of topics including remove and install. Once read, we better understand that there are many different scenarios, and sometimes not one "right way" but a number of alternatives.

I think this may help this discussion, and recommend that anyone wanting to get a better view of this subject, should chase a copy down. It was only like $16 or something, and worth 10X the price.

Offshore

Offshore, do you have an ISBN (should be on back cover)? Amazon does not pull up anything relevant when searching on the title...

Oh, hackR, those two tutorials didn't really tell me much more than I'd figured out but it seems there must be a better techique for ensuring the crystal is centered and straight than eyeballing it and hoping for the best! I know that doesn't work for pressing/driving in large oil seals!

Hike, why did you "brutalize" that poor watch!!?? You're meaner to 'em than I am!!

I suspect you might be missing something or need to "pookey" the crystal in. Does the Milsub have a "click" bezel? If not, the O-ring probably puts tension/rubs on the bottom of the bezel to keep it in place after rotating to desired position. I've never figured out why the crystals aren't set with clear RTV as it's waterproof, lasts for years, and quite strong. Look at the big chunks of glass on racquet-ball courts and they are bonded edgewise with the stuff. I don't see what would be wrong with setting in a crystal like this with RTV, installing bezel to get everything centered, let it cure, remove bezel and trim off excess with a scalpel...

You should see what I did to the dial....it will gross you out! :yuk:

I picked up a few diff. kinds of glue that I'll try.....we'll see what happens!

I'm no expert but after replacing plastic crystals in several older Rolexes, I haven't seen any gaskets or o-rings, at least not on Datejusts or Explorer models.

I was under the impression you used ultra violet curing glue, which is crystal clear and dries in a few minutes with either direct sunlight or a UV lamp. Available on eBay or Amazon.

I hope they look more or less correct, the watch pictures I "browsed" were fairly small. I don't even want to think about how many of these things I'm gonna have ot eat if there is anything seriously "incorrect" about 'em! I even found a [picture of a dial that the top line on the bottom was red in what looked "middle-eastern"! Maybe a rep of Osama's watch? :rofl:

KBH, that's interesting. I've not had any apart that had plastic crystals. So, let's say I wastrying to brew up a more vintage looking sub I could get one of the domed plexi crystals and just glue it in? I'm liking the sound of that!

:rofl: Just wanted to make sure you were paying attention!

From being a machinist, hot-rodder (in a past life), and motorcycle restorer I've found yhat just about anything can be made to fit anywhere if you are determined enough! I just got in another "cheap sub" this morning that's itchin' to be vandalized. When the vintage dials get in (I'm trying to get some cheap riveted bands, too) I'll root through ofrei's catalog for a "tropic" plexi crystal and get to work on it...

Offshore, do you have an ISBN (should be on back cover)? Amazon does not pull up anything relevant when searching on the title...

Oh, hackR, those two tutorials didn't really tell me much more than I'd figured out but it seems there must be a better techique for ensuring the crystal is centered and straight than eyeballing it and hoping for the best! I know that doesn't work for pressing/driving in large oil seals!

No, not that sophisticated I'm afraid. His business is Florida Watch and Jewelers Supply. I think a few here have dealt with him for crystals. Norman Helfand.I can't find a web link but there was one at one time.He had traded on ebay, but can't find that link either.

Re glue, I use Loctite 358, works a charm.

O/S

:rofl: Just wanted to make sure you were paying attention!

From being a machinist, hot-rodder (in a past life), and motorcycle restorer I've found yhat just about anything can be made to fit anywhere if you are determined enough! I just got in another "cheap sub" this morning that's itchin' to be vandalized. When the vintage dials get in (I'm trying to get some cheap riveted bands, too) I'll root through ofrei's catalog for a "tropic" plexi crystal and get to work on it...

I was at Ofrei earlier and found some tropics there! Go to the Rolex section! Could you pls send me some pix of the riveted bands if you have them?

Thanks!

I don't have them yet, but I have requested a few if my "source" can get them and I'll post you a pic. It's through the same channel I get my dials from. I've looked at some of the Rolex crystals at ofrei but they are for particular Rolex case styles, part numbers, etc. I wish they were broken down in height and diameter! :angry:

Oh, OK, I see the tropic 19s have diameters but the others don't...

I personally think they look kinda cheap and,rather, industrial from pictures I've seen. I just sent a couple of pics of the band and clasp and he told me he'd see what he could find. I'm more interested in non-SEL Sub bands and "modern" sub bands. He did find the DSSD bands w/Glide-Lock clasp but they're rather pricey...

Ive installed crystals while the white casket was on the crystal and i've installed the gasket first then pressed the crystal into it...both have worked well, I believe installing the crystal INTO the gasket after installing the gasket in the case to be the correct way. A lot of people change out the gasket after reinstalling the crystal due to it bending or warping and not holding its shape precisely, causing water to possibly leak in the case through humidity. I can see how installing a new gasket is a good idea but *may be* overkill for a simple reinstall unless you really damage the gasket.

link to helfands ebay store as it was mentioned in this thread: http://myworld.ebay.ca/helfands/

highoeyazmuhudee, thanks. I like having some spare gaskets on hand but ofrei is out of them and say 4-5 weeks for that size! If I had a diamond wheel (like for polishing stones) I'd be really tempted to grind the slightest hint of a bevel on the inner edge to help it get started easier. I'll just have to be super careful when I put the correct crystal back in my "cheaper 'n' dirt" no-date...

Too bad, helfands no longer a registered user...