When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Modded 5517 MilSub

pbdad

First Rolex modding venture:

I've chased after the idea of a 6538 big crown for some time. I finally decided to pull the trigger after I had some positive feedback form members here on rwg.

I started with Yuki's 6538 case set complete with big crown, upgraded bezel, and riveted stretch bracelet.

I'm didn't want to jump right into modding a $850 case set without a little practice first. So, I ordered up a cheap 5517 from Trevor and had at it.

Softened all the sharp edges, soaked the insert in pool chlorine, cleaned up the CGs a bit, softened the dial and relumed and recolored the indices, and "gilted" the hands.

I chose this method of reluming since I read that the tritium in the indice's and hand's integrity tend to degrade over time. I confirm this with a simple google search. I'm not a fan of super clean lines on indices as it tends to make it too new looking.

Not bad for a first effort.

L1000273.jpg

thanks everyone...

toomuchgear: how much more should I take off the CGs?

any pics?

dial and hands were aged using water sandpaper, spit and shine, and some special lume recipe.

I've been playing with vintage PAMs for a while, and even though this was my first Rolex vintage project, it seems like old hat to me. ;)

MmmmK, thank you pb. Not a gun hobbyist, just needed the one, and bought the model 22. Love that receiver. Just don't drop it in the field...............you'll never find it. :)

lol Gotta love a marketing scheme that pairs a CWP hand gun with 'sniper' camo. I wonder what the orchestators of Ch. 790 think about that? :lol:

Enjoy the watch.................

thanks everyone...

toomuchgear: how much more should I take off the CGs?

any pics?

dial and hands were aged using water sandpaper, spit and shine, and some special lume recipe.

I've been playing with vintage PAMs for a while, and even though this was my first Rolex vintage project, it seems like old hat to me. ;)

The insides should be a little more parallel to each other, not so angled if that makes sense. Here's a pix of a gen with some slightly uneven in size CG's, which is not that uncommon on vintage.

Again, your dial really looks great!

Dscn4789.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

First Rolex modding venture:

I've chased after the idea of a 6538 big crown for some time. I finally decided to pull the trigger after I had some positive feedback form members here on rwg.

I started with Yuki's 6538 case set complete with big crown, upgraded bezel, and riveted stretch bracelet.

I'm didn't want to jump right into modding a $850 case set without a little practice first. So, I ordered up a cheap 5517 from Trevor and had at it.

Softened all the sharp edges, soaked the insert in pool chlorine, cleaned up the CGs a bit, softened the dial and relumed and recolored the indices, and "gilted" the hands.

I chose this method of reluming since I read that the tritium in the indice's and hand's integrity tend to degrade over time. I confirm this with a simple google search. I'm not a fan of super clean lines on indices as it tends to make it too new looking.

Not bad for a first effort.

L1000273.jpg

Love the vintage look you gave to this one!

BTW, i'm on my own 5517 project. Who is Trevor? Is he a watch collector?