When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How the hell do you remove the crystal/bezel from a SFSO

triplehd

HELP !!!!

How in the world do you remove the bezel from a SFSO? I want to replace the crystal, but i believe I read somewhere that the tabs must be removed first.

Has anyone removed the tabs? insert? or even the crystal from a SFSO?

On the gen, the rider tabs can be easily removed (so can the bezel, for that matter). But on the rep, the tabs are part of the bezel, so the whole bezel has to come off...And that is a serious pain in the ass.

It's almost impossible to do without marking the case and bezel, and it's even likely that the entire bezel will be bent in the process. (The problem is that there is not enough space between the case and the bezel, and the retention spring does not have the space needed for it to "release".)

There are a couple of members that have acquired the proper tools to remove these bezels. Can't recall who they are at the moment, but you could ask vlydog, as he managed to remove his Skyland bezel as seen in this thread ;)

...That was me. I have been able to remove the bezels on a couple of Skylands - Vlydog's and MickeyPadge's. In both cases, I used one of these:

590665.jpg

Even this tool, by itself, would not budge the bezels...The removals requires some "special techniques" (too dangerous to recommend on the board). In both cases, there were some marks left on the parts, which had to be removed.

The same process, used on an SFSO, turned the bezel into a taco! :black_eye:

FWIW, I have a sample of new bezel tool en route from China now.( for my own bench)

A watchmaker friend in HK has recommended it to me as the best one around.

They are even used by a couple of Rolex AD's I'm told.

I suspect it is similar to this item pictured here.

Won't be cheap; I'm told it has high quality s/s "wedge" blades, and is exceptionally well engineered.

Should see it within the week, so I will do a review when it arrives. ( Have bought 1 other for stock if anyone just has to have one of these)

Offshore

If it's this one, then it is the best:

28102006201416.jpg

I saw the same model on the bench at an authorized Rolex service center a couple of weeks ago.

But you're right...It's not cheap! I was quoted about $300 last spring.

Firstly, sorry to hijack your thread TripleHD, but it is sorta relevant.

@avitt,

With the wonders of technology......from a lounge room table in GZ... not two hours ago.........we have

BezelPress-1.jpg

Sure looks like it!

Offshore

PS It travels to the airport as i write this! (and its brother)

Firstly, sorry to hijack your thread TripleHD, but it is sorta relevant.

@avitt,

With the wonders of technology......from a lounge room table in GZ... not two hours ago.........we have

BezelPress-1.jpg

Sure looks like it!

Offshore

PS It travels to the airport as i write this! (and its brother)

there's hope for the Breitlings ?????? you da man .. man.... :thumbsupsmileyanim: members in OZ are gonna have chiefs ar'd xtals before us.. <_< we need one of those in the US..

AC

Lani

HELP !!!!

How in the world do you remove the bezel from a SFSO? I want to replace the crystal, but i believe I read somewhere that the tabs must be removed first.

Has anyone removed the tabs? insert? or even the crystal from a SFSO?

i just received my freshly coated SFSO crystal back from chief (lookin fantastic btw thanks chief) and i re installed it today. my crystal just pooped out using a Chinese press and cleared all the tabs no problem. i was going to do the same with my skyland but the tabs overhung on it too much so the bezel would need to have came off so i didn't bother.

btw i have a Swiss SFSO from king.