When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

GMTII crystal

lanikai

There is not much tension in the fit of the crystal .. and it is a "flanged" xtal.. (I wouldn't take it in water)without some added sealing..

but it popped out easily .. it'll be interesting to see how the gen is in the rep case.. hope it's flanged freddy.. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

gmtiicrystal010.jpg

Flanged crystal

gmtiicrystal006.jpg

gmtiicrystal016.jpg

gmtiicrystal003.jpg

Gasket

gmtiicrystal008.jpg

gmtiicrystal012.jpg

AC

Lani

Whoa!! More pics when this is all done.

I really like the GMTIIC. But getting that cyclops AR seems to be more trouble then its worth.

It's what makes this hobby challenging.. simply get the crystal AR'd by chief minus the mag.. reattach the mag.. tape off the underside one angle at a time were the crystal is on topside and remove the AR.. after reattach the mag top side..and simply remove the AR

sure it takes time but I'm anxious to see the results..

AC

Lani

Hmmm. What is the cross-section of the gasket like?

I'm thinking the cross section is due to the compression of the crystal, the gasket is soft and not like the

clarks gaskets which are more rigid..

Regardless.. the member who needs these pics will be applying a genuine gasket and crystal w/the AR'd underside for the mag..

AC

L

Crystal is off to chiefs ... we'll see what I can do with it on it's return,.. it shouldn't be too difficult to remove the AR except for the underside directly in proportion to the mag..fingers and toes crossed..

AC

Lani

There is not much tension in the fit of the crystal .. and it is a "flanged" xtal.. (I wouldn't take it in water)without some added sealing..

but it popped out easily .. it'll be interesting to see how the gen is in the rep case.. hope it's flanged freddy.. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

gmtiicrystal016.jpg

Thanks for the pics, Lani. The gen looks similar & I expected egress would be easy & straight-forward (it is the reverse that I was unsure about)

0041.jpg

Gasket

gmtiicrystal008.jpg

My only questions relate to re-installation, which you may not be able to answer -

1. Do you place 1 of the gaskets in the case (as it appears in your pic above) & then just press the lens in? Is it that simple?

2. There are 2 gaskets & I have never received a Rolex part that came with anything extra. So, where does the 2nd gasket go?

0351.jpg

I doubt the crystal will fit on the rep case with 2 gaskets.. the genuine may employ them.. the rep has one gasket..

it would appear that the gasket needs to be inserted into the case first then the crystal pressed .. after viewing the lip of the case where the crystal is to be inserted .. it would appear to me that this is the way to do it.. placing the gasket on the crystal first would crimp it .. imo ... I wonder if the genuine does in fact come with a back up gasket.. you could simply check with your contact to be sure..

AC

Lani

Is the Gen crystal flanged like the rep crystal Freddy?

The flange is slightly different (more angular), but the basic shape is the same so I am certain that it installs the same way (with its narrower lower flange fitting within the gasket)

0041.jpg

Unfortunately, the watchmaker I received the crystal from wanted me to send the watch to him for installation. He agreed to let me install it with the understanding that I have experience installing Rolex sapphire crystals. :whistling:

Sorry, Lani, you lost me? I do not have a gasket in my pic (I am only holding the crystal) & who is ZM?

hmmm the crystal is a bit different (gen) Ziggy would know I'm sure !!

have you measured the gen to the rep ??

sorry freddy I'm at a loss .. the gen looks much different from the rep .. better check with our Pro..

AC

Lani

Do you got par "F" (gasket retaining ring ) ??

Thanks for posting this.

There was no 'Clamping ring' in the package with the crystal & 2 gaskets. I have not taken my watch apart yet, so I do not know if there is a Clamping ring or exactly what it is 'clamping' (the bezel or the crystal)?

But, from the picture, it looks like the Clamping ring is part of the bezel & not the crystal. But, again, since I have not removed the bezel on my watch (& do not plan to), I am not sure?

Hey bra, a little off topic, but fancy crystal press! I've been meaning to upgrade to a Horotec myself. How do you like it?

Love it B.. !!!!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

O/s is getting some Chinese versions in.. but the screw down is so nice.. even pressure throughout the crystal.. you do need some bigger dies though.. I got bigger ones on the bay.. for the Pams etc.

AC

Lani

The Horotec dies have a threaded insert so that they can screw on to the press... they're not a friction fit like on the cheaper no-name presses... so you'd have to find the right inserts as well.

Good idea to make some on the lathe, though. Could even use something like delrin to make really nice dies.

The Horotec dies have a threaded insert so that they can screw on to the press... they're not a friction fit like on the cheaper no-name presses... so you'd have to find the right inserts as well.

Good idea to make some on the lathe, though. Could even use something like delrin to make really nice dies.

Actually the cheap dies fit right onto bottom of the Horotec (friction)..I don't need to screw them down.. that's all I need to pop "out" the larger Pams.. the die that I use to reinstall doesn't have to go all the way to the edge..and the plastic dies are the only way to travel..as I believe you noted once awhile back :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Out of all the reps the Pams. Omega's and Breitlings have the tightest fits.. but those are the reps that we seem to AR the most..

btw.. the rolex GMTII is on it's way to ya... hopefully this time .. it'll work out.. just some labor involved in removing that beautiful AR.. except for under the mag itself.. that is the only area that will remain after I'm done... (hopefully)

jmb

Posted Today, 05:34 PM

Lani, if you need any special dies I may be able to turn out any size you need on the lathe if they are like the ones for a hand press.

thanks J but the biggest I need is for the Pam's and I have that.. I have the huge 60mm Pam on the way but that doesn't need AR .. but thank you for the offer... :D

AC

L