When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Comex

lukeaiston

Hey Guys,

I'm a little new around here, I've been monitoring the forums for a few weeks now and I think I'm officially addicted, so I thought that I should make my first post.

The watch in question is the new Rolex Comex 1665 Sea Dweller, I love the design and the age of the watch, also the rarity of the Comex dial, not to mention the great story behind the organization.

So I wanted to see what opinion you guys had on the watch, also this is my first rep purchase. :D

And would it be worth it to get the ETA or just settle with the asian and $50 in my pocket :)

Thanks Guys,

Luke

post-24728-125607296917_thumb.jpg

post-24728-125607300876_thumb.jpg

post-24728-1256073031_thumb.jpg

post-24728-125607306145_thumb.jpg

That's a heck of a good watch to start out with. And is that a (gasp) silver datewheel? Whooaaaaa... :clapping:

Hollow midlinks in the bracelet, domed crystal with a vertical lip, not bad... not bad... it will take some work to get it more gen looking but it's a great start! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Nice watch, but I do not think it is accurate enough (in stock form, few reps ever are) to worry about the movement. If/when the movement dies, then you might consider replacing with an ETA. But as many of the ETAs (in reps) are now Asian copies, the jury is still out as to whether the Asian ETAs are upgrades or just lateral moves. :g:

That's a heck of a good watch to start out with. And is that a (gasp) silver datewheel? Whooaaaaa... :clapping:

I got 1 of Andrew's drsds a couple of years ago & it came with a silver (not brushed) dw (lower left). But, more importantly, it was 1 of the few aftermarket dials that got the shape of the date window correct

SubsSDsunderglass0261.jpg

Looks like a good first buy, and easy on the pocket if the a21j is acceptable to you. I buy everything in a21j, cause I'm cheap! Even though I think it's a "given" that a properly serviced ETA will outlive an a21j, remember the operative phrase is "properly serviced". The way I look at it I can stuff in a lot of DG2813 movements for the price of a "proper service" and probably have money left over!

If you are handy with a drill you can open up the lug holes so they will take the proper spring-bars. That made more of a difference than I ever thought it would. I have ordered a Double-Red Sea Dweller and can't wait to dive in and start drilling on it!

Thanks for the quick responses, the movement is actually an Asia ETA 2836-2 28800 bph, but could someone answer my noob question, I want the best sweep the smoothest possible, would I get that with this movement?

Here's the link

http://www.tt88time.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_103&products_id=5388

Thanks again

Luke

EXCEPT!!!!!!!!!!!

You don't want a smooth sweep with a 1665. They should have a slow beat movement. You should be able to get up, change the channel, retrieve and open a fresh brew in between the ticks of the seconds hand on a 1665.

Honest. They're that slow.

Wait. Wait a minute ... my watch stopped. (shaking) Oh, never mind. Scratch that.

EXCEPT!!!!!!!!!!!

You don't want a smooth sweep with a 1665. They should have a slow beat movement. You should be able to get up, change the channel, retrieve and open a fresh brew in between the ticks of the seconds hand on a 1665.

Nanuq is right. 1 of the biggest inaccuracies with many reps of vintage Rolex watches is the too-fast beat of their modern movements (the other big inaccuracy is the bright glow of lume that would have long-ago dimmed to darkness on a gen watch). The 157x used in many vintage Subs & SDs beats at 19.8k bph versus 28.8k bph of modern Subs & SDs (& the ETAs used in reps). So, if anything, you would want to swap the movement out for the slower ETA 2846, which beats at a more leisurely 21.6k bph. Because they were discontinued some time ago, you will probably need to buy it used (ebay or some watch parts suppliers).

Looks like a good first buy, and easy on the pocket if the a21j is acceptable to you. I buy everything in a21j, cause I'm cheap! Even though I think it's a "given" that a properly serviced ETA will outlive an a21j, remember the operative phrase is "properly serviced". The way I look at it I can stuff in a lot of DG2813 movements for the price of a "proper service" and probably have money left over!

If you are handy with a drill you can open up the lug holes so they will take the proper spring-bars. That made more of a difference than I ever thought it would. I have ordered a Double-Red Sea Dweller and can't wait to dive in and start drilling on it!

....................and when you get done drilling lug holes on yours, I could send you mine! It nees some drilling, too! :pardon:

Thanks so much for the help guys. I'm so glad this is a worthy timepiece I love the timeless look biggrin.gif

But if I can trouble u guys once again seeing that you have been such a great help, what do you guys think of these.

Rolex Daytona 2009 Grey Face thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

http://www.jpc8118.c...800-p-7169.html

post-24728-125608018983_thumb.jpg

Rolex Daytona "Paul Newman" White face 37mm Venus 75

http://www.jpc8118.c...nos-p-3622.html

post-24728-125608030733_thumb.jpg

I do know of all the risks associated with the 7750, "the movement from hell" as some say, but i think it is well worth the risk for such a beautiful timepiece. biggrin.gif

But I am less informed about the Paul Newman, please fill me in on anything i should know about it.

Thanks so much

Luke

Edited by lukeaiston

On your grey faced 116520 I have the a21j version of that. It is not a working chronograph, and I won't own one until they get the bugs fixed in the 7750 or a new movement, but visually is quite good. This is what it looks like and they are under $100!

daytona9.JPG