When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Have a question abput shipping (USA>UK)

fulanito_uk

Dear all,

I thought I put this question out here first.. I have just bought a Gen X-33 Gen2 with a value of about $1700 full boxed etc. Problem is it is in New York and I am in London, he says he will send it via 3day UPS select. What can I do to avoid custom charges? Should I ask him to lower the value of the item etc...?

Thanks for you advice

S.

Edited by fulanito_uk

lowering the cost of the item is a double edge sword.. sure you pay less in tariff.. but if the watch is lost what will insurance cover?? your sender could try 'returning to sender .. repaired' ..

UPS and FedEX have their own brokerage house for customs.. so they are pretty keen on the value of the genuine ..

you could try placing a lesser value on it.. if they call you on it.. that's just the chance you take

AC

Lani

As above, it's not worth lying about the item, or the value. You will have saved money on the purchase itself by buying from the US, but it is likely that you will be hit with VAT+4.5% for customs duty. However, there is also a chance that it will pass straight through.

You could try and value it for $1500 and save a bit, but that will only save you approx $40. If it goes missing then you'll lose out on $200.

With VAT at 25% here, I always ask sellers (whether shops or individuals) to lie through their teeth when shipping my goods. Have done for years and years and I've never had any problems with customs. As long as it's sent as registered mail the chance of it being lost or stolen is miniscule (but still possible of course), while unregistered mail disappears far more often (in my experience anyway). If customs questions do arise, just make sure the seller has sent you an invoice via e-mail where your preferred value is clearly stated.

What's the longest it has taken to send it?

Normally it takes a couple of weeks with USPS, but I am now past 3 weeks with one, and all the tracking says is that it was sent on 5 Oct...

well. I bought a lumzilla from the us and receieved a notice from parcelforce that my item is awaiting custum charging followed by custom charges. Does it mean I have to pay vat on it. Beside how do you work out the custom charge. The value of the watch is 600usd.

What's the longest it has taken to send it?

Normally it takes a couple of weeks with USPS, but I am now past 3 weeks with one, and all the tracking says is that it was sent on 5 Oct...

Regular Air Mail US > Norway generally takes around 10 days, although f*ckups happen relatively frequently. That ought to be a lot less likely when the shipment is destined for the UK, but still possible of course. So basically, around 10 days should be the norm. 3 weeks = time to start worrying slightly, but not yet the time for outright panic. In any case, if you have a tracking no. you can just toddle off to the post office and have them do a trace. If they find it, then you'll have your answer; if they don't, then all may still be well since tracking info is lost right, left and center. If that's the case then give it another week, before marching back to demand they find it.