When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Rudis

TeeJay

Wood-dial v1.3 satisfied (partially) my artistic pride, but was still not the ideal dial I intended for a wooden-dialled watch. I wanted something which would look formal, but, also be functional for day-wear as well. Not necessarily as a 'day in/day out' beater, but something which could be worn during the day, without looking 'too fancy', and still be functional. Mystery dials, don't really give me as accurate a display as I would like, so, while I think the dial is fine for formal wear (where time is not really the main consideration of the gathering) it doesn't cut it in he 'day to day' use. To that end, I still plan on doing a v2.0 which will use luminous markers to give a more easily readable display. Even with v1.3 being more for formal wear (and the dark dial 'toning down' the bling of the presidential bracelet) I still felt it was a little too showy for my tastes, so, I took a Scotch-brite pad to the bezel and mid-links, to achieve this result, which I am dubbing the Rudis. I think the dial looks elegant. I think the case and bracelet look elegant, but, without the polished surfaces, not as 'showy'. I know I couldn't wear this kind of dial as a daily beater, but someone else probably could, especially if their wardrobe leaned towards long-sleeved shirts/suits :victory:

DSCN2499.jpg

DSCN2502.jpg

DSCN2521.jpg

TJ I like it, i think i would have added the 9 marker but i like it

Thanks :) I did consider adding the 9 marker to balance the datewindow, but when I test-placed it, while it did balance it, the large 'wood' area was suddenly broken up, which I felt reduced the impact of the dial. If I could have had all the markers in place, I would have been happy with it, but with only a few markers, I think that keeping it to the 6 and the coronet, lets it work as a 'mystery' dial :) V2.0 will definitely have the full complement of luminous markers, so with that as my wood dial, I'll probably replace this vinyl with gloss black for something closer to Freddy's 'mystery' :)

TJ, although this is not my cup of tea aesthetically I admire your creative and manual skills! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

This is really cool! Thanks for showing. :clapping:

Val.

P.S. I don't get the title. Cultural gap? :mellow:

Many thanks indeed :) I think this would have to come under the class of 'exotics', which I'd admit might not be to everyone's taste (even the gen Rolex wooden dials were not extensively produced) The Rudis was a wooden sword, given to Roman gladiators to show their freedom :) I figured as the dial had a Roman numeral, it was somewhat fitting :)

:thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I like the idea & admire your woodworking skills, but I would have used a different type of wood & left off all but the coronet marker (a la some of Rolex's wood dials of the 50s & early 60s & the 'Mystery' dial). But I know that accuracy is not generally your primary goal.

Thanks for the feedback, it's very much appreciated :) I did consider using just the coronet marker, but I added the 6 marker just to give a little extra detail, although that said, I could indeed do v1.4 to only feature the coronet for the true 'Mystery' effect. When you say different type of wood, what did you have in mind? Bearing in mind that I'm using a wood-patterned vinyl sticker... There is still quite a bit of variation on the roll though, so would you think more grain, less grain, more 'knots'? The section I chose, was simply because it had enough 'grain' to look like wood, but not enough to appear 'banded', or with 'knots'... Any clarification would be much appreciated :) I did see an all gold DayDate Presidential woody online, with what appeared to be a walnut burl as the dial, but I felt I wanted to see more of a 'wood grain' than the whorls of the walnut...

I think freddy may have a point. Why not just have a go with nothing but the coronet? Could give it the mystery look.

Indeed, I think I might just have to do v1.4 to achieve that very look :victory: