When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

ETA 2824-2

Mrkampa

Ok so i have an ingy with the ETA 2824-2 movement, i removed the stem when i was sealing up the gaskets and now i cant seem to get the stem to sit back in!

Its like the "stem-lock" is open all the time, it dossent "click" when i pres the stem back in. Annyone got some tips on how i can get the stem back in place?

-kampa

I did use a very small screwdriver. It could be true that i have pressed it to hard. Is there any torturial on how to do this? the reasembly?

for ETA 2824 and 2836 you do not have to push the button to re-install the stem. If so, you will mesh the keyless work.

To solve that problem you have to remove hands, dial and the to re-assembly the keyless work. It is an easy fix...the third time you have done it. :rolleyes:

Regards,

Francisco

Good work Tt, I went on a little 'search' myself but came up dry. The new 'Search' function really needs to be used in it's 'expanded' form to get anywhere.

MmmK hopefully MrK will see this and have a go.............the tutoral from 'Bazz' is really worth saving to 'Favorites'.

Also, the link to 'bigredjoe69' 's tutoral was a hoot;

ok many know me by now and know i type as i speak , plain english

It may be plain, but I certainly wouldn't call it anything close to 'English'. Plain 'Merican will do. :lol:

Having sequestered myself on the old RWG when this board was born I completely missed Joe's falling from grace. Pity. He was well revered when they all went over the side, then a pariah. It wasn't until a member returned to the old RWG and clued me in as to why.

It's just sad, the dynamic of these forums sometimes. We all tout our 'closeness' in a purported 'brotherhood', but the medium is so detached from anything coming even close to 'human' that one false turn, one misunderstanding, one show of actually being human and the deal goes down the drain.

It happens so often as to be remarkable.

This strap was a gift from Joe. For no apparant reason other than he thought I should just have it. The bastard. :lol:

16613III.jpg

16613.jpg

16613II.jpg

Joe's downfall? Many have their theories and reasons, but I'd put up dollars to dimes it had a lot to do with the last pic in his tutoral. Red neck's should not work on watches. :lol:

Good work Tt, I went on a little 'search' myself but came up dry. The new 'Search' function really needs to be used in it's 'expanded' form to get anywhere.

It only had a LITTLE to do with searching. I had actually saved these threads as PDF's on my computer...and was able to look them up by specific quotes and author name in the search engine. I tried with the regular searching and came up dry as 25 rubies in a Chinese movement.

Ok, so i did the keyless works, and all looks fine. nothing was out of place in my opinion, then reasembly the watch, and still the stem wont sit! how can this be?

did you press the button when re-installing the stem? In these movement you never have to do it.

Regards,

Francisco

Through my 'Search'-ing yesterday I came across two pieces of obscure info with regard; One countered what 'Francisco' had to add; that depressing the 'stem-release' button, while perhaps not essential, was the course to take when reinstalling the stem (this is my experience as well), and another member suggested rotating the stem clockwise slowly while simultaneously inserting the stem.

I did a tutoral for dummies with regard on the old RWG, both of which are lost in the annals, but, it was explained to me that the position of the stem, how it is aligned in rotation upon removal, must be the same at the point of reassembly. I would observe the 'flats' of the stem, and orient them; one parallel to the top of the movement and one parallel the bottom, then removed the stem. If you made no note of their relative position when you removed the stem, then yes, rotating the stem while re-inserting, the flats would, may, find 'home'.

The other, as it were explained to me, was the stem needed to be removed in the 'hack' position. It always worked. That aspect has been deliberated ad nauseum. The premier watchsmith here maintains that he always removes the stem from the winding position with every mechanical movement save one Russian made. Just curious, at which detent (stem position) was your crown when you released the stem?

Ok, so i did the keyless works, and all looks fine. nothing was out of place in my opinion, then reasembly the watch, and still the stem wont sit! how can this be?

You obviously missed something or put something together wrong. After reassembling the keyless works (but before replacing the dial), insert the stem (without pressing the release pin) & make sure the clutch lever is sitting in the channel on the clutch gear & that the plate adjacent to it is installed correctly (if either is mis-aligned, the stem will not lock in place)

7750keylessworks1.jpg

(This is an Asian 7750, but the keyless works in most ETAs -- Swiss & Asian -- are similar)

If it is, with the stem in the winding position, try to wind the watch. If that works, pull the stem out to the time-setting position & try to set the time. If that works, pull the stem out to the date-setting position & try to set the date. Once you are sure everything is working, return the stem to the winding position, remove the stem & reassemble the watch.

Wow. Been needing this post (and all the tutorials) for years. I almost 100% of the time, have buggered the keyless works when re-installing a stem on an ETA movement. Never had a problem with Seiko movements..hmmm. Anyway, I usually brought them to my chinatown watchman (mr. Lee) and he sorts it for $30. I always thought he was doing me a solid - now I know how relatively easy it is (especially for an experienced watchmaker).

Anyway, used Bazz' awesome tutorials and had no problems...well I had one problem. When I 'fixed' it the first time, once I recased the movement the stem wouldn't go in again. Damn. I also remembered that when I test fit the stem prior to re-casing to test everything, the movement wouldn't hand wind. I looked up whether a 2846 should hand wind and found out that it should. Took it all apart again and consulted one of the other tutorials that astutely pointed out that you need to put the U shaped spring on the end of the keyless works cover back in it's correct position, which is to put pressure on the yoke, I think, which pushes castle gear up against gear. At least thats what it all looked like. Worked the charm the second time.

One more thing - I've read different opinions on what position the crown should be in when releasing. I've always used the third position for removal and installation. Zig seems to go for the first position (winding). Anyone have the definitive on this? Does it really matter. I was successful in the third (hand setting) position.

Thanks for the info and an hour of very relaxing watch repairing.

:thumbsupsmileyanim: