When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

hont 3717 or TG with eta 7750

pdnb

Most dealers sell the version known as "V3", but occasionally the V2 does pop up. This one has a higher quality AR coating, but has more inaccuracies than the V3.

Some members prefer the ETA 7750 over the A7750 because they believe its more robust and reliable. While this is generally true, according to RWG watchmaker TheZigmeister, the A7750 once serviced is as good as the ETA 7750. Additionally, the ETA 7750, like all movements, works at its best when it has been serviced. Theres no guarantee that the ETA 7750 our dealers supply are new, so they may well require a servicing, that is if you don't want to wear and tear the movement down :)

Thanks, DS. I will check on V3's as well. you right, he only sells V2.

I guess my question then becomes: Do we believe HONT is a reputable rep supplier? I think that answer is yes and I ask if his eta movements are new. The other takeaway to your insight is that it maybe more how the movement is serviced than the originator of the movement itself.

Anyone actually buy a watch with an ETA from HONT? Thanks

If you have the money to, and want to go that route, it would be a great project.

Here's a thought.. Get the watch with the A7750 installed. If it truly seems like a keeper and will get lifelong wrist time, then it deserves true ETA goodness and the project should move forward. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Ebay has eta7750's for around 350 half the price.. although Ofrei is "Swiss" meaning it is sealed in the factory package.. I buy my eta's from the bay.. their the same as Ofrei's but are not brand new factory sealed.. but great upgrades none the less.. but I don't install them until the A7750 has some wear on it..unless it's a grail watch then I'll have the swap done immediately..

AC

Lani

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Another plus one on where to buy. I've spent a number of hours digging about the 3717 and so far have not found a definitive thread that specifies how to tell a v2 from a v3, and I've only seen one or two hints as to where to buy. One post said we need to spend around $400 to get a v3, but that info could be out of date.

I got a Planet Ocean from Narikaa a while back for a WHOLE LOT less than $300-400, and as far as I know I got a full-tilt A7750 Ultimate P.O. 'Super-Rep'. At least I think I did. Sure is nice, anyway...

I don't want to ask y'all to go over and over the same ground, but here's the thing - I don't mind digging and spending time (my G.F. thinks I'm obsessed), but it's not that easy (so far) to nail down hard data on V3 distinguishing features and where to obtain.

Cheers,

Robert

Watchman888

Another plus one on where to buy. I've spent a number of hours digging about the 3717 and so far have not found a definitive thread that specifies how to tell a v2 from a v3, and I've only seen one or two hints as to where to buy. One post said we need to spend around $400 to get a v3, but that info could be out of date.

I got a Planet Ocean from Narikaa a while back for a WHOLE LOT less than $300-400, and as far as I know I got a full-tilt A7750 Ultimate P.O. 'Super-Rep'. At least I think I did. Sure is nice, anyway...

I don't want to ask y'all to go over and over the same ground, but here's the thing - I don't mind digging and spending time (my G.F. thinks I'm obsessed), but it's not that easy (so far) to nail down hard data on V3 distinguishing features and where to obtain.

Cheers,

Robert

Watchman888

The easiest way to tell if it's a v2 is to turn off the lights. The v2 has lume on the hour numbers, which is incorrect to the gen. The v1 and v3 both have the correct lume, which is just on the 3,6,9 and 12 markers.

I agree with you Lani. Purchase the A7750 in the watch and when it wears out, buy a swiss 7750 off of Ebay and have it installed. I think in the long run you might never have to change the movement. I think it will also turn out cheaper for you.

I have dealt with Hont in the past and he is a great dealer. I know he is not on here, but that does not represent that he is not a good dealer.

Good luck with your purchase. Both the 3717 and the TG are great reps!

Ebay has eta7750's for around 350 half the price.. although Ofrei is "Swiss" meaning it is sealed in the factory package.. I buy my eta's from the bay.. their the same as Ofrei's but are not brand new factory sealed.. but great upgrades none the less.. but I don't install them until the A7750 has some wear on it..unless it's a grail watch then I'll have the swap done immediately..

AC

Lani