When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why I Love This Place

Toadtorrent

So...awhile back a Noob sends me PM asking what the point is of paying a membership for a forum which is free to access. I went through the usual explanation of how the hope is that they find the info here to be of value in saving him money, and that to ensure the continuity of this info he should consider a subscription and take ownership of this place.

I also indicated that the hope was that he would find more here than the specific info they may have been looking for for a single watch...that a sense of community would be built.

I've experienced this sense of community and comraderie time and time again...and most recently from Ubiquitous.

I had a screwed up crown on a 6263 that needed replacing...and what happens? Ubi not only rummages through his parts box for a spare crown...but for a few, with stems and throws in a replacement dial for one I botched as well...all refusing payment for even postage!!

Wow. Generosity and class at his finest. This is what RWG is about...sharing in a passion understood by few!!!

Thanks Ubi!!

Ubi truely is different class!! As is the OP in this thread!!

TT was one of the first members I spoke to, I had read his review on Peter's (iwatchstation) Skyland v1/3.5-52 :p . I went forth and bought not one, but 2 of em, one for me and one for my Pop. TT was great, talked me through some things, gave me hints and tips here and there, now, well now we have a very firm friendship, rarely a few days go by where I don't enquire to the health of those in 'Toad Hall' making sure the Tadpoles (Bufo Major and Bufo Minor) haven't destroyed anything too expensive or have picked up some new and interesting vocabulary! (Bufo Major discovered the F bomb not so long ago, that was painful for TT and just painfully funny for me!! :D ). We have had shipping disasters that not even Steve Mcqueen et al could get us out of, but still the friendship thrives!

As it has with many RWG members, hackR is a constant on my email and PM box as he trashes and weaves his way to work while telling me of the weekend and how the kids have done in their chosen sports on his blackberry. Then there is HikeUSA, alround great guy with arms like a gorillas!! Rarely a week goes by without some form of PM whether it be a short hello or a long 'here's what we did this week'. There is Lanikai, our resident raffle king, he does those out of his own time and normally out of his own pocket too, I own one of his watches won in a raffle at the begining of the year. He keeps this place ticking over with boundless enthusiasm and cannons to make the fittest of us 'young pups' hang our heads and slouch off in shame!! lol. Not only that, he knows practically everyone on here, he makes a point of it, if you been in his raffle, you been in his mind! Trust me, I still get messages if I haven't 'shown face' for a while, just to make sure I'm ok and still ticking. Where else do you get that?! Exactly, no where but here!!

Thats why I feel this place is so much different to all the other fora, there is community here, people who actually truely give a sh1t whether someone is alive or not, who will go way out of their way to send a part or a package of watches because the seller doesn't want to send to that particular part of the world. Will happily take sometimes days out of their lives to write up reviews and do's and dont's, to help the horologically challenged amongst us (I'm in the vanguard, trust me! There have been a few reviews that have saved me plenty of bucks and earned me even more knowledge!!)After readng them, just take the time to think how long it took you to read it, then think about how long that would take to research, draft up, then finally put down on screen, so to speak! Next time you read, just take a couple of minutes to think on that!

I know I have banged on about this several times in the past, but it's true, we have guys that can AND WILL help you with a whole plethora of problems that have nothing to do with watches, just for the sake of helping a fellow member! I take massive pride in the fact that I'm a part of all that, a very small part admitedly, but happy a small part than no part at all!! RWG, stands for friends and family in my book!!

Oh, yeah and Ubi, PM me please mate, I got that Daytona for you! ;)

Sixx :bones:

So...awhile back a Noob sends me PM asking what the point is of paying a membership for a forum which is free to access. I went through the usual explanation of how the hope is that they find the info here to be of value in saving him money, and that to ensure the continuity of this info he should consider a subscription and take ownership of this place.

Yeah Tt, that's a hard sell. The deal maker is in the "Besides, if you pay up, when a dealer or member makes you mad, you can post: "That [censored]". Then; boom, Platinum.

No, I keeeed! I keeeed!

The kata of the love chain is long and strong. It will be legendary in the annals of the ether-net. I've peaked with regard when I got this in the mail six years ago, yeah, it's a gen;

DemseyMeisterstruck.jpg

Aside my wife, no one person I know in the virtual or non-virtual has given me such a precious gift that said; "I love you man." For no reason other than; "I just wanted to". And I have yet to even look him in the eye, shake his hand, give him a man hug, then proceed to fall down drunk together in a fit of laughter. You have to save the best for last.

I also want to party with my avatar and her on again, off again, BBFF. That will be second to last. It's on the way to Maui actually. So.

I am honoured to refer to Ubi as a very special friend !!.. along with kruzer.. and many others !!

whilst lying in ICU my only contact with the outside was Ubi and kruzer and Two~Tone's calls.. and in between hacking cough's we had good laugh's..

friends are people that hang through thick and thin.. and we've all been through the "thin"

It's not only what we do for each other regarding watches.. this community is far more than just watches ... :D

L

It's not only what we do for each other regarding watches.. this community is far more than just watches ... :D

And that's the hope...that when people start seeing this more and more that THAT becomes the essence of RWG that people WANT to be a part of and don't need convincing why they should do so.

The fact that it's also got the best watchmasters, photographers, historians and dedicated community support team around...well...it's allllll icing baby!

dressg.gifav4000.gif

These are why I love this place.......................................... :bangin:

:rofl:

Kidding aside....this place is full of love........and like Toad.....I've been in the recieving end of this just a few minutes ago!

I PM'ed Dluddy about a particular PAM caseback that he's got and offered to buy it from him........and guess what, same as Ubi's response

to Toad, "PM me your address and I'll mail it to you!" and won't take anything for it! dluddy, Mate......thanks again! :1a:

And then last week, I bought a PAM from a member in Eastern Europe who was worried about customs, so I asked Sixx if he could take it for me

and ship it to CONUS.......well, what do you expect from the guy.....he gets insulted if you offer him money!

A few weeks before that, I got a package in the mail out of nowhere from Neu Yok.....a freebie Rolex Bracelet from the hackr! I mean, where can you find people like these!

Only here.........in RWG!

These are the kind of people we have here........considerate, thoughtful, always ready to help!

To you all.......my sincere Gratitude and Thanks! I wish the rest of the world would be the same....then we won't have the incident in Fort Hood and now in Orlando........bunch of crazies out there!

Keep it on RWG! :thumbsupsmileyanim: