When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Epic Tag Link Resize Fail

drdaz

The following is a story of complete failure in resizing a Link strap. The results are both tragic and funny.

A couple of weeks ago I received my Link from PT. It's a lovely piece. I haven't had the pleasure of wearing it yet, since the strap was too large, and I didn't have access to tools.

Today, a good friend of mine lent me his tools so that I could resize the strap. Once I got home from work, I went about removing the first pin using the pin punch tool and a hammer. Unfortunately, as this was my first attempt at doing this type of thing, I carried on hammering until the pin was most of the way out of the other side. It was only once I removed the pin that it struck me - the pin came out quite easily in comparison to how much hammering was needed to push it out...

As you will have probably gathered by now, the pin pusher was jammed into the bracelet really hard. Hard enough that the handle came off it when I pulled it. So hard in fact that no amount of yanking, sweating and swearing moved it a millimeter. Trying to hammer the pin back in the other side only bent the pin.

I was screwed, I thought. Then I had another great idea.

My friend was kind enough to lend me a fine 1mm (swiss) screwdriver to undo the screws in the bracelet. It seemed like a sturdy instrument, and seemed to fit into the holes where the pins go. So I proceeded to hammer the screwdriver in the other side of the link, to try and push it out.

It didn't work. And it was jammed into the link just as hard as the pin pusher. So, I started the yanking and swearing again, this time on the screwdriver. The results were similar, and I pulled the handle off. When I took some industrial strength tools to it, however, unlike the seemingly unbreakable pin pusher, the shaft of the screwdriver snapped.

To summarize, instead of removing the pin, I replaced it with half a screwdriver and a pin pusher tool. And the strap still doesn't fit.

It's a terrible mess, as you can see here:

PICT0172.jpg

PICT0173.jpg

PICT0174.jpg

I expect that there's really not much more that can be done here. If anybody has any suggestions as to how to get the tools out again, I'd love to hear them! I've considered going to the watchmaker with this, but since it's a rep I'm hesitant.

With that said, if you look at the first picture, you can see that one of the ball-bearing type things has come out. The thing used to keep the 'lid' on the clasp down. It's present in the third photo... I have the ball and the spring that sits under it, but it won't stay in there. Suggestions on how to fix that would also be appreciated.

As said, I suspect that I'm going to need to order a new strap, and certainly a new set of tools for my friend.

thats no fun. TAG bracelets are not the easiest to resize as you can see. But they sure are handsome.

so pliers on each end don't help, with a twisting motion?

Heh... Well after I'd bodged the one side, I removed 2 links from the other without a problem. The only thing that went (catastrophically) wrong here was hammering the tool too far in.

The pliers haven't worked thus far...

I have no answer to the problem but reading this was the best laugh I've had today. Thanks!

:lol: Glad you enjoyed it! Honestly, I was laughing hysterically towards the end of the described ordeal myself... There were actually more tools broken in the process than I mentioned...

I know this does precisely answers your question , but seriously , .... consider buying a nice strap and a tag buckle and through away the bracelet.

All .... and when I am saying ALL , I mean ALL rep bracelets with PINS (Tag , Omega, IWC) , their PINS are crap.

They brake like toothpicks , they bend , they stuck. Bad PIN metal , bad bracelet inner construction.

Even very experienced members have a 50% chance to brake them during a resizing exercise.

Edited by AMK000

Try heating it!

Set yourself up 1st.

Know what you will pick it up with, Know that the vice will already have protectors in place; have a seperate set of pliers to grip the pin/driver tip. Or another punch of the correct size, if you are going to try to punch something out. Just get your plan into place, so you are still operating on hot metal...and don't burn yourself!!

Think this one through, it's great training and forward planning. Think what will go wrong next, and plan against that.

Brains can beat unforgiving metal (on most occasions)

Offshore

You can try heating it, but do not be surprised if you have a even more difficult time getting it the pin or screwdriver. This is due to thermal expansion of materials. The bracelet is going to be stainless, but the screwdriver, being that is sounds like a nice Swiss one, is going to be hardened steel. The stainless if going to have less thermal expansion then the screwdriver, so when you heat it up, you could actually cause to screwdriver to bite into the bracelet harder.

Basically you have caused a extreme press fit between the bracelet and pin removal tools. Try securing the bracelet in a vise and using Vise-Grips on the screwdriver as you need more of a clamp load then what you can get with pliers. Turn the Vise-grips/pin in one direction while pulling away form the bracelet. You can also try some anti-seize penetrating oil.

:drinks:

I am very sorry to hear what happened. I wish I could help you in someway but I have to admit I was LMAO reading your post especially after the screwdriver method failed. I could only imagine what was going through you head.. complete frustration and EPIC "AWW [censored]" moment... lol, hope you can get it fixed or just get a new bracelet from the dealer for $30.

• 2 weeks later...

Rather than heating it, why not try cooling it. If the stainless shrinks less than the hardened steel put that thing in the freezer for a few hours then try to drive out whatever is stuck in the same direction you got it in there.

I would get 2 pieces of wood lay them on top of each other and drill a hole through it. You should have something about 1" thick and the LxW does not matter. Lay the bracelet across it with the protruding piece of the pin going into the hole and take a hammer to the top of it like you are driving a nail into the wood. Maybe if it is cold enough the pin will shrink just enough to get it out.

You've had all the good advice, so how about grinding down the screwdriver and punch and having another go at re-sizing the other end of the bracelet? this time try cutlery....and keep your camera handy :bounce:

The pins are a bugger to shift...I watched a jeweller get red faced with mine. I recommend buying a box of mixed pins from Ebay for a few £'s for future operations and a box of mixed screws whilst your at it.

Thanks for sharing your intimate moment with your watch..it was a laugh