When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

argh...stem release button depressed on seagull movement...

hackR

argh --

have an old skool Omega Broad Arrow w/ seagull st-19 movement...it's an older model rep that By-Tor did an amazing review on...

after a broken crown/stem, i replaced the crown/stem with another one from Z...however, i noticed that when i originally released the broken stem, the stem release lever button remained depressed...i seriously didn't depress the button hard at all, and the stem came out easily - i honestly can't recall if i had the stem in the "set time" position or not...argh...i have no idea if the stem release lever button is supposed to have lubrication or not, but i'm wondering if the age and/or lack of lubrication has caused the button to stay in the depressed position...i think i understand from various readings and googling how the stem release lever mechanism works...in the depressed state the stem release post on the lever is now also depressed -- resulting in me being able to re-insert the stem, wind the watch, but it not being able to lock in place to allow me to set the hands and/or keep the crown from coming out...

so -- can i assume that i need to have this watch serviced because i screwed up the keyless works?...is there a simple attempt that won't further mess up the keyless works that might dislodge the release lever and raise it back into position?...a pin or something?...yikes, i know...that's why i created this post - i don't want to mess it up any more than it is...

thoughts on what to do?...any other ideas before i consider sending it out for service?...hey - i am kinda glad that i attempted to fix the crown/stem and have learned a lot along the way...so all is not for naught...just need to know if i should back off and let an expert fix this now...

thanks...R

Hey hackR. I feel your pain. I have a clone 2824 with the stem release button stuck in the depressed position. The stem still stays in and I can actually still use all positions wind, set, etc. Not sure if that means it is better or worse then yours. I too am looking for some advice. Probably gonna have to take it apart and reset it all.

Anyone out there have a good idea?