When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

stripped bp crown

arminvanbuuren

hey guys.. i had the worst day in my life ever.. the day started with me going to the exam.. and there was a car crash on the way so i was jammed in traffic.. by the time i got to the exam place.. i actually missed out on the first 20 mins of the exam!! this in turn i wasnt really settled throughout the exam and ended up not finishing it.. so i thought oh whatever.. at least my new bp is actually waiting at home.. so when i got home.. i went straight to the post office and got my bp from the post office..

then i opened the package.. and set the time on my bp.. however when i tried to screw the crown back in.. i found out that the thread is actually stripped.. and now im wearing it without the crown actually screwed in!!

so i emailed the dealer that i bought it from.. and he said that he 100% checked the watch before sending it and was sure that the screw wasn't stripped.. eventho i dont believe that he actually qc'd it (reason was because the watch had fingerprints inside the crystal and i asked him to check the datewheel that its aligned and non-recessed.. it came in with recessed and datewheel aligned to the left.. didnt really care about this tho).. but anyway.. i asked whether he could send me a replacement tube and crown.. and his reply was that since it's my fault (my fault for setting the time?) he won't send me a replacement.. so does anyone know where i can get a replacement crown and tube from this is for IWC BP 5002.. as i love the watch very much but i cant wear it now.. any help would be appreciated here thanks guys

ive name and shame this dealer so many times.. i dont think it work anymore.. all i can say that its one of the cartel.. the only reason i got it from them is because there was no other dealer to get the bp from.. all the other dealers i usually use dont stock the bp 5002.. does anyone know where i can get the replacement tube from?

The crown tube is the problem with these models. I'm pretty sure the crown is still ok.

The best way to solve it is to replace it for a new one but unfortunately the dealers will not supply it.

What normally works is to squeeze the tube just a little.

i just tried it and it actually worked :) for now anyway.. thanks for that :D

Im really sorry to hear about your troubles. The good news Is, all can be fixed. :thumbsupsmileyanim: This dealer sounds unreasonable.I had a similar problem with a Panerai about six months ago. My dealer took care of the problem, no questions asked. Do you mind giving us a name so we dont make the mistake of ording anything from this person? (people) thanks and good luck :)

That seems to be the biggest problem with reps these days, stripped crowns. Omegas are the biggest culprit. They can generally be repaired using gen parts, but because the tube generally needs to be glued in, it doesn't make for a reliable repair. I just shorten the stem on most of them and forget about the screwdown feature. If done right, you'll never notice and you won't stress every time you unscrew that damned thing.

:thumbsupsmileyanim: Just tried the crimp method and worked for me too. But the bad news is a fat part of the crimper pushed up on the crown and actually popped the crown and stem straight out of the movement when I squeezed. So now the stem no longer engages the movement and pulls freely in and out. :( I would definitely recommend removing the crown and stem first before crimping the tube just to be safe.

well if i give out a name would i get in trouble or not is the question :p.. like i said its one of the cartel dealer anyway.. but it doesnt matter now.. i managed to fix it using sander's advice..

now i just hope that i got enough to pass the exam today :S

Ok fair enough. How about telling us then what kind of exam are you taking :pardon: good luck all the same

:thumbsupsmileyanim: Just tried the crimp method and worked for me too. But the bad news is a fat part of the crimper pushed up on the crown and actually popped the crown and stem straight out of the movement when I squeezed. So now the stem no longer engages the movement and pulls freely in and out. :( I would definitely recommend removing the crown and stem first before crimping the tube just to be safe.

damn thats not good :(.. yeah this should be stickied in the iwc section i reckon.. but make sure that u take the crown out first!