When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

vintage rolex on black leather strap

deltatahoe

so i've always felt vintage rolex watches were meant to be worn on a oyster bracelet. however, i met with a local vintage rolex collector recently, and he was wearing one of his 1680s on a nice black strap. to be honest, i was shocked at how much i liked the combo.

so i asked him about it, and he told me he had no idea where it came from -- he had received it along with one of the watches he had recently bought. the leather was high quality and soft, and one of the cool features about this particular strap was that it had a fixed, quick-release pin instead of springbars, which makes putting the strap on the watch a total piece of cake. in addition to this quick release pin, the strap had some pretty distinct markings on it, so i was able to track down the source & pick one up to try out.

i received the strap a couple weeks ago; i put it on my 1665 great white, and i have to say -- i really like it :victory:

here are some pics:

1665blackstrap26996434.jpg

1665blackstrap6991015.jpg

1665blackstrapwristshot.jpg

1665blackstrapbuckle701.jpg

1665blackstrap47613847.jpg

1665blackstrap37004568.jpg

so what do you think -- a good change of pace, or sacrilege? :lol:

deltatahoe

I think it looks great dt, all here do, but it's not a 'no brainer'. I tried 'croc' on all my black faced Rolex Sports and they all looked like junk except the GMTII;

GMT.jpg

GMT3.jpg

I think it works here, but on the 16613? CRAP! YUK!

16613IV.jpg

With regard nothing beats a white dial 16520 or 116520 on brown leather/other hide. So much so, Rolex offers(ed) as such as an option from factory. Yum.

rolex13.jpg