When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Spruce-Up on Budget DRSD - lotsa pix!

jmb

Mr. Goat, I'm thinking that even if a crystal has a bit too small of an ID I could possibly turn a spacer ring to "shim" out the existing case so that a more standard crystal would fit, all other things being equal.

gpl, I'm starting to like the vintage look more and more. In fact, the last 4 of the last 5 watches I've bought have been "vintage" models. Don't tell anybody, but Silix has a budget COMEX Vintage Sub on special right now for an unbelievably low price. I've just ordered a couple...

I was actually looking through his site the other day, and rather liked the look of the Rolex Celini :whistling:

TeeJay, did you check out the price on the COMEX Sub in the Specials section? Right up our ally, I was flabbergasted!!!

I was flabbergasted, too. But not in a good way. This is Canal Street 'quality' & just about guaranteed to get you called out. But if that is the goal, I would say it is worth every penny of its $30 price tag

rol213.jpg

I was flabbergasted, too. But not in a good way. This is Canal Street 'quality' & just about guaranteed to get you called out. But if that is the goal, I would say it is worth every penny of its $30 price tag

rol213.jpg

Wearing any watch with 'Rolex' on the dial is a guarantee of getting called out ;):whistling: I would agree, out of the box, they're certainly nothing special, but, as J says, certainly good as parts donors :good:

What is "wrong" (other than the "SWISS MADE" at the bottom of the dial) that can't be fixed? I might use this as an test subject to practice "lettering under the microscope" to get prepared for fixing the Tudor Chrono dial

Any other projects... :bangin: Bracelet, hands, bezel insert, etc, all could probably be salvaged for something :)

Well, if you mean for a fantasy (non-DRSD) project, then I stand to be corrected.

But my point was that they are all poor quality parts - the type of parts that most here would encourage the owner to trash & replace asap if 1 is building a DRSD.

Omega, it's a homemade fixture that I clamp into my mill vise with a "channel" I can hold the watch into to keep it stable while I'm re-drilling the holes. I have a different fixture that completely clamps down on the watch if I am drilling holes in a case that did not previously have them but it requires complete disassembly including the crystal.

Well, if you mean for a fantasy (non-DRSD) project, then I stand to be corrected.

But my point was that they are all poor quality parts - the type of parts that most here would encourage the owner to trash & replace asap if 1 is building a DRSD.

I would acknowledge that they are not of the quality CWP produces, but in terms of salvage, they are still parts which could certainly be re-used somehow for something. At the end of the day, hands are hands, an insert is an insert, and those parts, could easily be useable in a project of some kind, even if just as 'temporary parts' for future upgrade :)

I got my Clark pearl yesterday and had a chance to install it today. I had to slightly enlarge the existing hole in the bezel insert and then set it with clear epoxy. Someone had also mentioned the bezel "teeth" were too sharp so I lightly hit the bezel with the "wheel" and took some of the sharpness off - maybe not enough? I go slow on this stuff as it's always a lot easier to take off a hair more than to try and put a hair back on! I also wore it at work this week so it picked up a couple of scratches here and there. While I had the bezel off I popped the retainer ring and crystal and made some measurements so I can start searching the various forums to try to come up with crystal dimensions to see if I can find a more "rounded" crystal and I think I'll be pretty much satisfied...

post-24124-125929179852_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's a #55 but I'd have to measure it (or check my notes in the shop) to be 100% sure. Then the band has to be drilled for the correct spring bars and that's a #45 or #46 drill.

Quite a variation in crystal IDs. I ordered two Tropic 19 crystals - one from Clark and another from wholesaleoutlet990.

Clarks ID - 27.77 mm

wo990 - 27.9 mm

I removed the crystal from the watch and the clarks fite nicely snug onto the watch but the ring was a loose fit. For grins I then put the wo990 crystal on and while it did not fit the watch as snugly as the Clarks the ring was quite tight and had to be pressed on so I have no doubt the crystal is secure!

The profile of the Clarks looks better but the wo990 crystal is an improvement over what came on it. I will probably, eventually, machine a new bezel retaining ring with a slightly smaller ID and install the Clarks T19.