When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

trying out modding

marinamm20

now i think it is time to try modding.

i had a broken drsd i bought 4-5 years ago - it had a broken stem, and the datewheel was stuck.

So i fixed the DW, so hope it works now.

The old dial was very beatup, so i found a singer dial from Eurotimez that is on the way to me.

Then i tried to fade the insert - but it got TOOOOO faded ;-), so i have ordre a new from the Bay together with some springbars.

i have shaved the CG's, hopefully not to much.

here is some underway pictures while i am waiting for all the parts i have ordered.

hope that will come together, so i again have a drsd to wear.....

front.JPG

back.JPG

side.JPG

insert.jpg

frontdial.JPG

backdial.JPG

bars.jpg

movefront.JPG

moveback.JPG

Looks like a nice project and it sounds like you have a good "roadmap" laid out. You do realize that you will have to re-drill your lug holes to get those proper spring bars to fit? I think there's a tutorial on the board here for that...

Looks like a nice project and it sounds like you have a good "roadmap" laid out. You do realize that you will have to re-drill your lug holes to get those proper spring bars to fit? I think there's a tutorial on the board here for that...

Thanks jmb :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Yep i know :-), have done some reading on it - so lets see when parts are coming together if i have been reading enough :whistling:

I'm no expert when it comes to CGs, but they look good to me :victory: I'll tell you what I really like the look of though, that that's the caseback, with that beefy scar :Jumpy: That is looking sweeeet :tu:

hehe i like that to, would like to have same "look" on the case, but not sure how to vintagnize the case

hehe i like that to, would like to have same "look" on the case, but not sure how to vintagnize the case

If you want to get some beefy gouges in the case, the method I've used, is to get a pair of very sharp scissors, open them, and holding the top blade like a knife, slash into the case as if you were cutting a loaf of bread :) The challenge is doing it in such a way that it looks like random impact damage, rather than an artificially placed scratch ;)

Maybe mask off the crystal and put the whole thing in a bag of drywall screws and shake for a while? Drywall screws are hard and pretty sharp and I have read of people using them inside of a motorcycle tank (shaking/tumbling once screws are inside) to knock off rust so I suppose they would leave all kinds of marks!

When you get down to re doing your insert this time, you might get one of Yuki's ( www.yukiwatch.com) bezel pearls for the 1665. The original inserts did not have a surround around the pearl. You can look on the same site and see inserts as well as complete bezels with inserts, washer, etc. for the DRSD. I don't know if a yuki bezel would fit,depends on your case. If it's and old MBW it probably will, but I'm sure you can get the insert to fit.

By the way i really like your job so far. The caseback looks great. IT will be a great looking "tool" watch when your done.

Cheers

Arthur

I'm a little confused about the damage on the back. How in the world would a watch ever get damaged like that on the back? If you were wearing it you would have had to have been in one god awful accident and probably lost your hand, wrist, fingers and forearm.

Either that or you dropped it off your scooter.:cc_scooter:

Can't wait to see the finished product.:thumbs:

so now the watch is out of the dryer - newer thought i should say that :pardon:

i buffed it afterwards with some red roughe and some polish for silver to make the fell more smooth - still needs some additional buffing.

But here it is - looks better in person - i like the look now, do not look to new anymore

Just needs to get some more wear and tear..

DSC_2970.JPG

DSC_2975.JPG

DSC_2976.JPG

DSC_2977.JPG

DSC_2979.JPG

DSC_2980.JPG

DSC_2981.JPG

DSC_2982.JPG

DSC_2983.JPG

DSC_2984.JPG