When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Speedmaster Day-Date opinions wanted.

Agrippa

It appears a small windfall is heading my way for christmas, which perhaps means that two, rather than one, new reps are called for. I'm seriously considering a Speedmaster Day-Date, but before I decide I'd really like to hear if someone here can give me some input. I know it's supposed to be a good replication (cause By-Tor said so), but I'd be particularly interested to hear from someone who's had one for a while and can say whether it's a reliable watch or not, considering the complications it has.

Anybody?

It's a great rep! Mine has the A-7750 28800bph movement. This has the best power reserve of any of my reps. My only gripe is the strong AR colour is a super easy tell. My recommendation would be to buy the blue dialed one if you like it, so the problem won't seem so obvious.

Here's mine:

omega.jpg

Very good to hear, thanks for that mate! The decision was actually between the white and the blue versions, so I guess you just made my mind up since presumably the white one would show up the AR colour best (or worst, as the case may be).

What colour tint does the AR have by the way? I assume blue? And is it much worse than your other reps?

Well, it's definitely the darkest tint. For my eye the problem is that that it makes the dial look less black, almost like it's very dark brown.

It is a great watch though, solidly built and highly accurate to the gen. I think you're making the right choice. Given the chance to do it again (the old, "knowing what I know now...") I'd go with the blue.

Here is the post that sold me on it

you won't be disappointed with it!

Ag,

Not specific to the watch you are discussiong, but a blanket cursory remark with regard to the 7750 'complication' in this subdial configuration; Minute totalisor @ 12, Running seconds @ 9, Hour totalisor @ 6. This is the design intended, and least complicated array for the ETA/Valjoux/Asian Clone 7750's. Ergo it is your best bet toward 'reliability' all things being equal. Although true ETA 7750 calibres do support added modules to render the array; Minute totalisor @ 3, Hour totalisor @ 6, Running seconds @ 9 and pose no added stress to genuine ETA calibres in genuine watches, the situation may tax the Asian clones. To some uncertain degree, speculative only. Certainly the modification to render Running seconds @ 6 a` la the latterday Daytona is not supported by any genuine ETA calibre and is the least reliable situation for any 7750 movement, genuine or otherwise.

My comment toward 'all things being equal' relates to proper movement install, lubrication, and attention to detail of assembly before going into service. Know only genuine movements sourced from liscened agents will provide that under warranty. From an engineering standpoint the high beat Asian 7750 in this replica is sound. However the other parameters that fall under the scope of 'quality control' are suspect. As always when dealing with 'replica'. I cannot recall many, if any, 'sob stories' involving the 12,9,6 7750 subdial array. The others? Very much moreso.

Considering the above, you can address the 'reliability' factor to your own definition. You have certain factors here that are in your favor, but face the 'chance' of diappointment we all do. More than the watch's movement reliability, count on the reliability of your dealer as per a verbal agreement with regard to 'warranty' and 'exchange' before the sale. If these matters are left unaddressed before the purchase, you are at the whim of the dealer to his definition of fair and good commerce. If you both agree to terms, then I cannot think of any collector here that would renege. Woe to him or her the wrath of this forum if you could prove they indeed had.

It's a beautiful watch and I hope you treat yourself. Merry Christmas.

Thanks for the technical info Demsey; you confirmed what I thought, but wasn't entirely sure about. If it didn't have the sub-dial layout it does have, there's basically no way I would have considered it, even briefly. I'm fairly up to speed as far as The Zigmeister's and Francesco's movement reviews and recommendations go, so I'm steering well away from "seconds @ 6" and "seconds @ 3" configurations until I hear differently. So far all my watches are working flawlessly and I prefer not to get cocky and push my luck.

Where my dealer is concerned, I have as much faith in him as I can have, considering he's sitting at the other end of the world and deals in illegal goods. :D So far, at least, Tony (@ Asian7750.com) has been a real star and a model of helpfulness. This time I thought I'd split my purchases between him and Mary, which should be an extremely safe bet if the feedback here and my initial impression is anything to go by.

As for treating myself...well, I'm very good at that, so Christmas is bound to be merry. Post-Christmas until pay day may be another matter entirely, depending on exactly how nice I am to myself. Time will show. I wish you the same back, as well as a financially carefree time to follow.

Although you originally ask about a Day/Date, here's my Date model:

DSCN3033.jpg

DSCN3044.jpg

Seems very well made and the AR is not noticeably blue on the white face. All in all, I'd say it's one of my best reps. The only negative is the damn crown is so hard to pull out with your fingers because of the crown guard.

Very nice, it really doesn't look like the AR on yours is particularly tinted at all. Perhaps it's just luck of the draw? I think I'll probably end up tossing a dice in order to choose the colour, as they're all equally tempting.... After all, there's always Chief's AR and Domenico on this side of the pond.

While we're at it, but swapping subject - is it possible to get a leather strap for the Speedmaster and if so, is it the usual awful rep strap quality? Oh, and what is the lug width of the Speedmaster?

The Speedy Dates are very accurate watches...a good bet. Lanikai has pics of almost all the models up somewhere on the site...search for them...you will not be displeased.

Avoid the strap options for the Speedy's. Get the bracelet, and order an aftermarket strap for a higher quality one without the Omega tang buckle...and order a buckle on The Bay or get the rep strap for the buckle...and toss the strap because it WILL be junk.

• 1 month later...

Just a quick note to say that I took the risky option and went for a Day-Date with white dial. That's the version I really wanted and the gamble paid off handsomely since the crystal has little or no tint that I can see. Otherwise the AR isn't "Chief Standard", but it's very good for a replica - close to the SOSF, Ingenieur, etc.

The bracelet too is very nice - very smooth, yet very tight and the combination of brushed and polished steel makes for an elegant contrast. All in all a very nice watch indeed and a certain keeper. Not one for the lovers of humongous timepieces, with its 40mm diameter, but it'll suit a normal size human being quite well.

Thanks for all the advice, very much appreciated!

Just a quick note to say that I took the risky option and went for a Day-Date with white dial. That's the version I really wanted and the gamble paid off handsomely since the crystal has little or no tint that I can see. Otherwise the AR isn't "Chief Standard", but it's very good for a replica - close to the SOSF, Ingenieur, etc.

The bracelet too is very nice - very smooth, yet very tight and the combination of brushed and polished steel makes for an elegant contrast. All in all a very nice watch indeed and a certain keeper. Not one for the lovers of humongous timepieces, with its 40mm diameter, but it'll suit a normal size human being quite well.

Thanks for all the advice, very much appreciated!

Congrats on your purchase. Now..just where do you think you're off to in such a hurry? Pictures, my good man..pictures, we cry! :clapping:

Although you originally ask about a Day/Date, here's my Date model:

DSCN3033.jpg

DSCN3044.jpg

Seems very well made and the AR is not noticeably blue on the white face. All in all, I'd say it's one of my best reps. The only negative is the damn crown is so hard to pull out with your fingers because of the crown guard.

By far my favorite Speedmaster Date.....the panda dial is awesome! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Congrats on your purchase. Now..just where do you think you're off to in such a hurry? Pictures, my good man..pictures, we cry! :clapping:

Ok, ok, hold your horses will ya. :D

SMDD_front_01.jpg

SMDD_front_11.jpg

SMDD_back_01.jpg

SMDD_buckle_01.jpg

Missing a picture of the front of clasp, which turned out crap. No time right now, but I'll try to remember to add it later.