When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tool Watch --- Ocean7 LM7

panerai153

A few threads down Lani does a great comparison of his newest baby the Doxa Sub300 to his Doxa T-Graph Sub600. Both are serious tool watches, but one is sleek and nestles right in like your Honey on a cold night!! The other in contrast doesn't have one mollecule of "Nestle" in it's hard steel body. It's more like a mini barbell sitting on your wrist. you could use it as a wrist hammer. Here's another one

Last year Ocean7 Watch company introduced a similar "Wrist hammer" The Ocean7 LM-7 or Ploprof. This is a homage to the Venerable Omega 600 Ploprof. An expensive and very scarce "tool watch" of a bygone era. I was fortunate enough to get in on the ground floor of the LM-7 and have Serial #6. It is a strange watch in design, certainly not for everyone, and not the watch you would wear out at night dressed in a Tuxedo. It's pretty comfortable, however it's size is such that you are always aware that it's there.It gets lots of comments and attention especially from Divers.

What sets this watch apart are several features. one it's red button on the top right side of the dial. This is the bezel lock button. Press it down and you can turn the bezel, release it and the bezel locks.Second the case guards are exaggerated and completely enclose the crown. Also the watch is "reversed" with the caseguards/crown on the left rather than the right. third the bezel insert is sapphire with superluminova indicies and numbers. It reall lights up after a charge of sunlight or lamplight. It's not and everyday wearer for me, but I Dive with it and wear it a lot when we go to the coast for swimming and beach bumming.The mesh bracelet is a Jurgens Monster Mesh, super comfortable and very close to the original Omega mesh for about 1/4th the price.

IMG_5608a.jpg

IMG_5605a.jpg

IMG_5612a.jpg

PA170011a.jpg

@PAMman,

You know, I sort of toyed with that idea at first. I'm not sure if the case dimensions are exact. The other problem is the crown/crownguards. The Ploprof uses that funky inset square crown. The knurled part is actually the unlocking ring. So even if you were able to replace the dial, you would still be a long way from the original. Another thing I though about was trying to replace the LM-7 bezel lock button with the red plastic one on the Omega. I've never seen one in person, but it looks like from the photos of the plastic button, they wouldn't fit. Another of those projects that if you had enough money, tools, skills and time, you could probably pull it off, but it's over my head.

My only criticism of the dial on the LM-7 is the plainness. When the watch was being designed, with a lot of input from Ocean7 forum members, several folks wanted to have the feet/meters designation on the lower half of the dial, like Rolex and 99 % of the dive watches out there. Mitch (Owner of Ocean7) as well as some members wanted the dial as clean as possible. This is in keeping with all the Ocean7 watches, no writing on the dial face except Ocean7. Some of this was asthetics, some was the idea that you want to make a homage watch similar to, but not identical to the original. This decreases your chances of running afoul of the companies legal department. Although the patents on all of the Ploprof features have long ago expired, Omega is a big wealthy company, and getting entangled in a lawsuit with them could be fatal to a small watch company.

It is a great watch, like I said, not for everyone, and certainly not one for every occasion, but for what it was designed for, it is very good.

Arthur

Arthur that is one good looking and functional "tool" timepiece.. very direct in it's design!

Quite different form the normal divers..that mesh bracelet is absolutely gorgeous.. that must play a big role in the balance of the watch.. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Live Strong and Wear it Well!!

AC/L

Randy,

You know, as big and heavy as this watch is, it really wears well. It has a pretty big footprint which makes it less prone to sliding around on your wrist. I have been plesantly surprised by the Jurgens mesh. It's very well made and comfortable. It's more flexible than I had expected. It's a good alternative to the Omega mesh at about 1/3 the price. Also I didn't like the Omega branded clasp, as it comes apart at the clasp. AS fumble fingered as I am, that looked like and invitation to dropping the watch on the floor trying to fasten the bracelet!

Arthur

• 4 weeks later...