When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

gmt movement options

catboy

i've read a fair bit about CHS / ICHS ETA Movements on this forum but wondered if anyone might be able to give me a bit more indepth help?

would an ETA (or other "rep") movement fit in the place of a 1575 type movement?.. Im basically looking for something that i can put into a 1:1 replacement case designed for a 1575 movement.. I've looked at cases/movements together but no one seems to build a decent GMT Master or Explorer II rep at the moment, however I've come across a decent 1:1 replacement 1675 case and would like to get a suitable movement for it that isn't going to cost the earth for now..

any pointers would be great, also i notice yukiwatch have dial/hand sets for around 120 USD for the 1575 movement.. would this be suitable for a non 1575 movement with some mods, or are there better ETA / other dial and hand sets available elsewhere?

basically im looking to build a nice franken but would like to get the case/bracelet right, hands/dial as close as poss, and movement working for now; i will upgrade movement (dial and hands also) when funds permit..

thanks in advance

I've asked this question in the past...didn't really get much info.

The Rolex GMT movement is obviously extremely expensive and hard to find. Trying to mod the base 1575 movement to add the GMT components is a task akin to birthing. I believe it was Freddy333 who did this...and it took a lot of searching for some very rare parts to do the GMT module upgrade.

The solid GMT movement option is really the ETA 2893-2 movement...which again, is hard to find...somewhat expensive, and different dimensions than the 1575 so you would likely have to do some work for a movement holder to get it to work...and the hand sizes will be different...BUT, if I remember correctly, the hand stack on the 2893-2 is incorrect for modern rollies but correct on vintage ones??? I'm not sure on this one ...but remember reading something about this...so something for you to research and validate. The hand size will be different than the 1575 hands. They can be modded to work...but will take much effort...

I found an Asian GMT el cheapo movement...but couldn't find anybody with experience on this. I thought of trying it to see how far I could get...but didn't get around to it.

thanks for the info..

perhaps i will look for a movement and then get it mounted up (I shouldn't have too many problems making a movement ring to suit)

i guess dial/hands it might make sense to get a good replacement dial for a rolex movement and then use that with ETA hands rahter than try to fit 1575 hands onto the ETA?

interesting that the hand stack might be correct in a vintage GMT; wasn't that bothered about hand-stack as IMHO its not that noticable without a high MP camera, macro mode and a tripod.. ..obviously if the ETA is correct then thats great :victory:

I guess a major concern would be the thickness of the movement so that it would accommodate the correct crown height. With the newer offerings from BK having the correct crown height it makes you wonder if this could not be done with some other reps as well. I would love to get a 1680 case from Yuki with correct dimmensions and put an eta movement in it. I think that would make for an excellent rep. I wonder if it would work and if someone like Stilty could make an adapter for it.

I brought this exact topic up a couple of weeks ago, asking if a 2893-2 movement would work in a 16710 case. By-Tor and The Zigmeister both said it was possible, but may not work. Sourcing a spacer ring seemed to be one problem, making the stem match up with the case opening was another and the third was would the movement sit high enough in the case to fit the hands.

I believe that what you have here is a problem that may be solvable, but is it worth the time and effort to make it work. If you have enough money and the skills and the proper tools, you can make anything work, question is? Is it worth it.

ETA 2893-2 movements on Ebay are around 300.00 USD. I bid on a Steinhart GMT to use as a donor for a 2893-2 movement yesterday. the watch went for 320.00 which was more than I wanted to pay for it. So as you can see, you are going to invest around 300+ dollars in a movement that may not work. OF course if it didn't work out, you could either resell it on Ebay, or get an older PAM GMT and stick it in it. I know they will work, because i had two PAM GMT's a couple of years ago and both had 2893-2 movements.

Arthur

ETA 2893-2 movements on Ebay are around 300.00 USD. I bid on a Steinhart GMT to use as a donor for a 2893-2 movement yesterday. the watch went for 320.00 which was more than I wanted to pay for it. So as you can see, you are going to invest around 300+ dollars in a movement that may not work. OF course if it didn't work out, you could either resell it on Ebay, or get an older PAM GMT and stick it in it. I know they will work, because i had two PAM GMT's a couple of years ago and both had 2893-2 movements.

Arthur

Great summary Arthur...thanks.