When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DSSD - To AR or not to AR

PeteM

My understanding is the DSSD gen does not have AR nor do any Rolex's?

But the rep crystal does have a greater loupe effect than the gen as I understand?

Would a single or double AR improve this difference on the loupe effect?

Would it make a difference if you could just AR the inside of the glass only around the loupe of the crystal?

Has anyone tried this? Would it work?

Is it necessary on the latest ET DSSD or the Perfect clone DSSD, hopefully Lani might cover that soon :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I thought the Loupe was the magnifying effect or distortion on the crystal when viewed at an angle. Like those old reps you use to get many moons ago.

Is that not right?

What I mean Nico is its not something that is fitted but is created by the angle of the doming of the crystal in relation to its thickness. Is that right or have I got it wrong?

Cheers

I've never heard it described as the loupe... Curved crystals, such as on the Seamaster, or Panerai 127 will distort the dial at certain angles, but it is not really a magnification effect as such... The GMT II C does have AR coating, but the coating is only on the back of the crystal in the area immediately underneath the cyclops. The DSSD doesn't have a cyclops at all...

I thought the Loupe was the magnifying effect or distortion on the crystal when viewed at an angle. Like those old reps you use to get many moons ago.

Is that not right?

What I mean Nico is its not something that is fitted but is created by the angle of the doming of the crystal in relation to its thickness. Is that right or have I got it wrong?

Cheers

Ok, now it's clear for me too. :)

I've never heard it described as the loupe... Curved crystals, such as on the Seamaster, or Panerai 127 will distort the dial at certain angles, but it is not really a magnification effect as such... The GMT II C does have AR coating, but the coating is only on the back of the crystal in the area immediately underneath the cyclops. The DSSD doesn't have a cyclops at all...

Its a common term with magnifying glasses, there is a slight magnification of the dial and a distortion but its rarely caught by pics though again I dont know with the gen DSSD. I have seen it here on one pic of the PAM217, its one reason why I dont like that destro (Leftie).

Its a common term with magnifying glasses, there is a slight magnification of the dial and a distortion but its rarely caught by pics though again I dont know with the gen DSSD. I have seen it here on one pic of the PAM217, its one reason why I dont like that destro (Leftie).

I would not have thought that the flat crystal of a DSSD would create the same distortion as a curved crystal, the only thing I can think, is that perhaps any differing chemical compositions of the crystals might result in different optical effects :pardon:

I would not have thought that the flat crystal of a DSSD would create the same distortion as a curved crystal, the only thing I can think, is that perhaps any differing chemical compositions of the crystals might result in different optical effects :pardon:

Now I am confused - my understanding is the DSSD crystal is domed not flat hence the loupe. Are you saying the DSSD rep has a flat crystal?

It is a commonly discussed issue the loupe effect but noone has talked about AR having any influence on the effects of viewing at 45+ angles.

I noticed JJ's Marina Militare in the FS forum has a pic showing the sort of effect I mean but not as much as reported by others on the forums in respect of the DSSD.

The AR will have little effect on the distortion on the crystal, but that distortion is only present on the first release of the V5. It doesn't appear as if the newest ones have that--probably using the same crystal as the V3 & V4. The gen has slightly more distortion than the V3 but not much, and the reason why the V5 looks so off was because of the shape of the crystal. Gens & V3, etc. were flat on the bottom, domed on top. The first V5s were domed on both the top & the bottom of the crystal, thus producing the refraction/distortion you're seeing. The gens aren't AR and an AR'ed DSSD will scream "fake", rep or not. Instead of AR'ing, I'd recommend finding a different crystal or selling & upgrading to one of the newer ones.

Edited by gioarmani

Thanks for the replies especially from the 'Big Guns' of this rep world. I appreciate it. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I thought someone here might of got the latest V5 by now.

Now I am confused - my understanding is the DSSD crystal is domed not flat hence the loupe. Are you saying the DSSD rep has a flat crystal?

It is a commonly discussed issue the loupe effect but noone has talked about AR having any influence on the effects of viewing at 45+ angles.

I noticed JJ's Marina Militare in the FS forum has a pic showing the sort of effect I mean but not as much as reported by others on the forums in respect of the DSSD.

I have go admit, I thought the DSSD had a flat crystal, but I stand corrected :)

Rolex explained their reasons for keeping their crystals non-AR .. as the industry is doing otherwise.. they say their crystals are tops in the industry and as such they will show them as they are..

having said that,.. as Gio states any AR will brand it ..out of the gate..

AR it, and it will be a fantasy watch for sure..

AC/L