When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

You think this GMT is gen?

Guest Sql_pl

Only two pics though.

gmt1.jpg

gmt2.jpg

I can grab it for cheap and I feel it is gen but maybe I am wrong.

What is it anyway? 16750 right?

What do you think it can be worth?

BTW seller claims bracelet is broken...

A pic of the movement would seal the deal! The dial is gen, I've not seen a fake one w/ the Swiss- T<25. $2500 USD would be great w/o the bracelet- you can buy gen jubilees for $200 and up on the bay.

Might want to figure a couple hundred dollars extra for a service.

It's genuine.

The preowned 16760's go for around ca. $3400-$4000 these days (in good shape). But with broken/missing bracelet & questionable condition... I dunno, but if you can get it for $2K it's probably not a bad deal.

First of all this is a GMT Master II The 16750 was a GMT Master, not a Master II

the hand stack looks correct for the model. My 16750 hans stack is top to bottom Seconds, minute, GMT, Hour. GMT II is the same Seconds, minute,GMT,Hour

on most Reps the stack is seconds, Minute,Hour, GMT. Although there were some reps floating around that have a terrible correct hand stack movement.

At the most, if the person selling the watch is selling it as a 16750, he doesn't know anything about Rolex GMT's. Here is what I would do before buying this watch, get several references from the seller on watch forums such as Watch NEt, Watch U Seek and Timezone. Second make certain you get a return privilage with enough time to let you take the watch to a reputable watchmaker who is KNOWLEDGABLE about Rolex watches, not the battery change station in the mall! Open the case and make certain it's a genuine Rolex movement.Buy the seller not the watch. Pay with Paypal or a credit card like AmEx, then if you have a problem, they can help, especially AmEx. Do not under any circumstance use Western Union,Moneybookers, Money Gram,etc. When it's with these services, you have no recourse.

I just looked at a similar post to yours on WatchUseek, Guy buys a Rolex GMT II From a jeweler, posts photos, and about 7-8 replys from other members like WOW what a great watch, Looks great, yada,yada,yada. About the 8th post a Rolex guy posts, "Sorry to bust your bubble, but you bought a really nice Rolex Replica! Then a few other Rolex guys post and tell the poor sap all the things wrong with his watch including the Wrong hand stack, etc.

Don't let this happen to you! If your buying a Replica, and it's priced as a replica, that's great, that's why we are all here, but if your shelling out several K for a genuine, then you Damm Well want a genuine.I'm not saying this one is a rep, it does look pretty good, but the first alarm bell would be the seller selling it as a 16750 when it's a 16710.

God luck

Arthur

Here is my 16750

IMG_4544a.jpg

Here is and image of a 16710 which is the Master II

16710_rn1.jpg

@ By-Tor, i type too slow for you my man. I was typing and didn't see your thread right above this one.I'm sure your right, it's a 16760. Seller probably madwe a mistake, but easy to tell, just pop off the bracelet and look at the numbers.

The open 6 is definitely the same as my GMT Master 16750. By-Tor is the resident GMT expert so I will certainly defer to him, but I sure thought the transition was 1675, 16750 which are GMT Masters 16760,16710 which are Master II's

The basic difference was the 1675/16750 has a non-settable GMT hand and you use the bezel to track the 2nd time zone. The 16760/16710 added the ability to track a 3rd time zone with the settable GMT hand.

I stand corrected if I'm wrong, but this may be a 16760 which was the earlier version of the GMT Master II. I would expect that the open 6 date wheel is correct for both the 16750 and the 16760, as they were both in production simultaneously for several years in the 1980,s Crack open the back, that will tell the tale.

If this is indeed a genuine, and it certainly looks like it is, it's a steal at 2k.

Good Luck

Arthur

Expert, huh? Only when it comes to 16710. And I'm absolutely TERRIBLE with numbers. :D

According to the site I linked they made the transition Master II (reference: 16760) from 1983 to 1988. Lani owns this exact model. It's called "The Fat Lady" because it has 5mm thicker case. I don't know why this model hasn't become more collectible than it is... it's quite fascinating.

Technically the 16760 is identical with 16710. I'm certain that the watch case and dial in the pictures are genuine. But from the front I can't tell you the difference between those both models (16760 and 16710). It can be either... but the thin datefont makes me to believe it's 16760. Lani might be able to help here.

By-Tor,

Your right, that's the date range. What is more unusual to me is that at the same time the 16760 was being produced, they were still making the 16750! This until around 1988 and then they re-introduced basically the same watch(Non-settable GMT function) as the 16700 and kept it in production until 1999. I suppose to satisfy the purist who didn't want that"new fangled" settable GMT function.

I agree about the 16760, it was'nt in production for too many years,and it featured the fat case, can't see why they aren't more collectible.

Arthur

The only thing I dislike on my 16710 is the lack of quickset date. It takes hell of a lot of "rolling" to get the date set correctly. It wouldn't matter if you only had just one watch but for someone like us who have lots of watches it's very annoying. :thumbdown: But then again it's understandable for a GMT watch because the date rolls backwards too (when you're travelling through countries and timezones). The adjustable hour hand system in 3185 is pure genius though.

I threw the $2K number pretty much from a hat. The seller is stupid if he's willing to go lower than that even without the bracelet (if the watch is fully functional). But now during the recession nothing is impossible... all luxury watch prices have gone down.

Sold for around $2750.00, for last 3 days it was at around $1950.00 with only one bid so did not really expext it to skyrocket like that. I finished bidding at $2600.00

I figured bidding over $2750 in this case with broken bracelet and no papers was pointless.

Hmm on monday I can buy a 16570 Exp II for around $2150.00 - also no box and pretty beat up - what do you say? I think I can always sell it if I don't like it and maybe even get more...

@sql_pl: Buy Explorer II only if you're planning to keep it. It's much more difficult watch to sell than GMT and Sub, and the preowned prices are considerably lower.

But for that price... go for it. Definitely... sounds too good to be true actually (unless "beat up" means "Nanuqinized"). :D