When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Panerai-Dies for crystal pressing.

offshore

Can anyone give me the size dies required to push crystals on the larger Panerai's? (43-48mm?}

There will be a base die, which fits in the caseback side, (Normally a flat die is used) and dies for the crystal pressing side, (which are normally multi sided, and with angled flanges)

We have a large number of inquiries, and I am attempting to piece together a special "Panerai" die set, specifically for this purpose.

Currently the largest stock crystal die in a set is 41/43(mm), and case or bottom die is 35mm.

However we have a number of other die sets, with dies to 50mm available.

I just want to make sure the sets we finally end up with, contain desirable dies.

Any advice or discussion on this is most welcome.

Thanks,

Offshore

There is a large set of dies available on eBay, also Esslinger I believe. I have the set, as the one that came with my "cheapo" hand press was way too small. I don't have them handy to give you their sizes, but if you haven't found them out by later this aft., I'll post them.

I am not sure if this will help, but when I just pressed in my Chief A/R'd crystals into 2 44mm DSN's I used the following:

I used this press: http://www.micro-tools.com/store/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=CRY-905-00

and I have the optional larger die set (CRY-905-20).

I used a 38mm on the bottom (it fit within the lugs), and a 36mm on the crystal itself.

HTH

I am not sure if this will help, but when I just pressed in my Chief A/R'd crystals into 2 44mm DSN's I used the following:

I used this press: http://www.micro-tools.com/store/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=CRY-905-00

and I have the optional larger die set (CRY-905-20).

I used a 38mm on the bottom (it fit within the lugs), and a 36mm on the crystal itself.

HTH

There you go Offshore, that is the exact same die set I had to order, and the same die sizes. The bottom one being flat, top one hollow with just its rim pressing along the out edge of the crystal to seat it properly.

I've only had one problem, and that was with a DSN auto crystal (sandwich type with cylcops), which I somehow managed to separate during the pressing. :( On the brighter side, because of this accident, I've found out that DSN now uses one piece sapphire crystals.

OK, thanks for that, however are there not bigger sets needed?

I hear talk of the 47mm and 48mm Panerais.????

Now I realise the dies needed are smaller than this, however do these dies cover all the large Pams?

Offshore.

The largest die size in that set is 50/52.5, so I'd say it would cover even a Big Egi :) Myself, I only do work on the 44mm PAMs.