When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

IWC 06 Cousteau question

gioarmani

Yes, a break from the Rolex world... shocked as some of you might be, I am purchasing my first IWC; the '06 Cousteau.

iwc-aquatimer-chronograph-cousteau-.jpg

My question is, does the rep come with an AR'ed crystal, and if so is it true-to-gen (i.e. single-sided or double).

I'm going off the reservation here with an IWC, a Tag, and a couple of Hublots. All will be thoroughly reviewed in detail, of course. :)

Edited by gioarmani

hey Gio -

i have one that is Ziggified...from what i recall, some members opt for chief's double AR to really bring the dial out...but others do not...mine has a rep AR coated crystal (not sure if it's single or double) but it has an ever slight blue hue (almost clear, tho) and is really nice...i also recall a member saying that the rep AR (which mine is!) is actually very close to the gen...

i wear mine in more of a formal setting mostly...and i have to tell you, it's a great piece...the silver accents on the dial really sparkle...get it re-lumed, tho...Toad had his done by Z with blue lume...mine is c3...cool glowing!

so my vote is get one and you'll be fine with the rep crystal as is...if not, get it cheif'd...but i really don't see a need to do so based on mine...

R-

Damn, those look nice!

@hackR, I've seen his relume work and it is astonishing; I certainly wouldn't attempt that kind of intricacy...

@ lani--those have been relumed, I imagine? I love how thick & raised it looks!

yes Zirrrr.... relumed by Zig.. AR by chief. eta DW swap,... eta 7750 dropped in. B)

Guest techlogik

Double AR...but would probably go for Chief AR to make it complete after a movement swap to Swiss or Gen and The Zigmeister lume.

Depending on lighting, the AR is pretty darn good.

bh0oex.jpg

2lvz1br.jpg

2.jpg

The Zigmeister chunky lume bezel shot...amazing work.

5.jpg

It's all been said before...the 06 is awesome. AR is pretty good...but Chief's is tops. Mine was lumed by Zig as well, serviced, ETA DW. This is Zig's shot of mine with the RC-Tritec SL BGW9 lume (the chrono second hand is an orange glow too...but in the pic the crazy brightness of the blue lume drowns it out...in person it's awesome):

3.jpg

@Toad...showoff!... :whistling: ..but then again, it doesn't get much better than this in a watch!!... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

let's all face it...chief's AR takes a watch to a whole other level...and is quite honestly, in a league by itself...gen manufacturers don't have it this good...

for the cousteau '06 - the rep AR is VERY good and damn near close to the gen...chief's AR is not needed IMO, but as Lani's pix show - brings it to a whole other level...i say this, because some watches, like the Tag Link have such lousy crystals that you MUST send it to chief...

R-

Guest techlogik

Just make sure Gio that if you can, get photos of the dial...the Cousteau can be reknowned for having crooked markers at 3-6-9, and once you see them, your heart sinks.

They can't go away and can't be fixed either according to Zig.

I am having Josh check into maybe trying to get another dial with dead straight markers...he says the factory is really tough for getting Cousteau parts...so we will see.

Maybe Concepta can source a Gen....ok...now I am getting crazy I know.

Guest techlogik

If you're talking about the lumed hour markers at 3,6, & 9, can't they be pushed out from the back of the dial? I thought all metal based markers were fitted to the dial with small feet. Surely they can be pushed out & repositioned if necessary...

Zigmeister said NO when he had my watch for lume and movement swap. I know the BPs you can, Vac has done it to those. But the Cousteau dial Zig says it can't due to the way it is attached. I don't know, I don't have the technology/tools to try it...well, partly, but will probably screw it for good. Last time I pulled hands off a A7750 I broke the hand and screwed the keyless works...I fail! Hence why I need a new dial. Then have Zig lume and swap the dial/hands to that. He is the pro, worth the coin. It isn't that bad actually, with the lume applied differently it doesn't look as bad and you forget about it, sort of.

I have a new one coming with a gen 79320. I am taking that movement/dial out and putting it in my case withe zig bezel lume.

So I will have another one with swiss, my dial and unlumed bezel. I planned on sending that to Zig for bezel lume along with other work I have him doing at the same time. I also have Josh trying to get a new Dial...

I wanted to ask Zig if there is anything he can do on the markers again...it is slight, but just not perfect, one of my pet peeves. Zigmeister you reading this?!?!

I was probably going to sell it afterwards anyway. Just wanted to have it "right" before doing that.