When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

need help with rolex south african navelate 3107

kin tama

this is one i picked up and have become a bit attached to..my south african navy rolex..its a simple asian movement..heres the rub...on these vintage type asian movt subs that i have worked on i have noticed that on all of them you can pry up the crystal with your fingernail quite easily ..so its incredibly easy to do dial mods and pop the crystal back on...BUT....the other day i must have banged the watch pretty hard ..somewhere between the post office and home i lost the crystal and the second hand ....does anyone know where i can get replacement second hands for these movements? any any any help would be appreciated...kin tama

023-2.jpg

I love the vintaging of the hands and indices, am I right in thinking that you did it with a wax crayon? I wish I could be of help with the hand/crystal, but my method tends to rely on cannibalization... I've found the crystal on that model to get loose over time, so I epoxied mine into place :) Best of luck sourcing your parts :good:

Unless you've got a watchmaker who has an assortment of crystals, I'd just order another cheap sub and start over. I don't think the chinese use anything standard on these reps, they just build them from the ground up, so matching parts is next to impossible.

But I will measure the crystal of one of my no cg subs tonite- ID and OD, since I need to glue the crystal back on and try to resurrect the watch- maybe like JMB says, you could get a crystal from Ofrei.

hi,

thank you for the responses...i have crystals...its the seconds hand that i really need ..i guess i can buy a set of hands on ebay and either crimp it on or bore it out til it fits..i just figured that the asian movements would have a standard size second hand...teejay,i used liquid brown shoe wax and charcoal pencil on the dial...i try to experiment with different mediums...i like to use watercolours as well .......kin tama

hi,

thank you for the responses...i have crystals...its the seconds hand that i really need ..i guess i can buy a set of hands on ebay and either crimp it on or bore it out til it fits..i just figured that the asian movements would have a standard size second hand...teejay,i used liquid brown shoe wax and charcoal pencil on the dial...i try to experiment with different mediums...i like to use watercolours as well .......kin tama

Was that charcoal mixed into the wax? I might have to try that technique, as while baking the dial achieves a nice color to the lume, it destroys it's luminosity (which is one of my most crucial requirements in a watch) but applying a patina over the lume, that should still be relatively visible :) I believe CousinsUK sells hands which will fit asian movements :) If I recall, that model Submariner was also issued to the Australian navy back in the day :)