When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Where to buy a genuine Tudor snowflake submariner

rolexmaniac88

Dear members,

I just fell in love with Redwatch's Tudor. It's just stunning! However, i don't have the courage nor the capacity to build one of my own. I got a little money saved up and consider very seriously buying a genuine tudor snowflake with or without date. What ref should i get (9401, 9411 or else) and where can i find them? I'm in EU and you just can't find them easily. Does anyone know a good seller, website that sell a couple of those? I'm a little afraid of eBay. I don't wanna get ripped of with a semi genuine with an aftermarket insert, etc.

Also, what should this type of watch cost?

Thanks for all your help.

Rolexmaniac

Glad I inspired you RM!!! I would stay away from the Bay. I would have many concerns about it's authenticity. Try the link vlydog posted and see if you have any luck. I have seen them priced between $2,500 and $4,000 depending on the condition. I originally wanted to build a 9401 but the parts became available for the 9411 so I went for it. In the end I am very happy that I did.

Good luck with your search!!!

Wow, these pop up all the time at various gen vintage dealers and on the bay. I agree that VRF is a good starting point. Register there and post up a "WTB" in the marketplace. Expect replies of course to be on the high end. Other than that, go to the "links" section on VRF to find some of the vintage dealers.

Good luck!

JJ

]Elite Deal Seeker

Type in Tudor Sub.

For pristine condition 9401 or 9411 don't pay more then 3 grand. Rough shape as low as $1500. Normal condition 9401 without bracelet will be around $2000. With bracelet as high as $2500.

9411 will be around the same prices. Expect to pay a premium for an all original blue dial with matching faded blue insert.

@Rolexmaniac88

I would utilize all the resources. Two good ones that I have used in the past to sell genuines are TZ (Timezone) The usual Caveats apply. Buy the seller!! Ask for references, make sure you have a reasonable return privilage if it's not up to snuff, and by all means use a credit card or PayPal.If they demand Western Union, BEWARE!! The folks at TZ police the site pretty thoroughly, but scammers slip in on occasion. The second good source is the Military Watch Resource (MWR) Trading Post it's a smaller group, but some very knowledgable folks on there. WatchNet Also, like TZ also WatchUSeek Post a want to buy on all of those, you would be surprised what may turn up.Ebay would be my last resort, as any watch posted on tghe other sales forums if the least bit suspect will come under very close scrutiny. On Ebay, with the anonomous bidder thing (initials and couple of numbers) it's impossible to warn off bidders if the item is fake.

@ Red,

I think what he is trying to say is he is looking at this one. He mentioned in a post above a price of 2800 Euros, but could possibly get it for 2500.

Arthur

@redwatch: i wish! that's the one i'm looking to buy (maybe). I don't own it!

@stephane: will do. Thanks.

This forum is just amazing. I've been wandering here for a while now, it is time to donate!

Oh gotcha! Sorry for the confusion!

And yes, if you feel the "value added" benefits of this forum, a membership donation is the way to go! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Good luck with your search!

IMO his asking price is a bit high for a 9401 with incorrect dial. I have never seen that dial for a 9401. Only the 7016 but that doesn't mean they don't exist. It was found on 7016's from around II 68 to late 1970 early 71 IIRC. Here is one that I owned.

sub08.jpg

That 9401 has a mid run serial. If the dial was replaced at service (with tritium markers) it should be either a snowflake or diamond dial. So, based on what I personally know, either it's a 7016 in a 9401 case (ask to see a photo of the movement) or it's a 7016 dial on a 9401. If that's the case, the dial feet are missing. OR, it's a new service dial variant I've never seen.