When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Hand Made Regulateur, as a prototype, sort of finished

FxrAndy

Many of you will have read this post on how the mechanics of this thing was made, Well it is now assembled as a working watch. The Dial and hands leave some thing to be desired but that will come in time. it turns out my printer is not all it is cracked up to be so the dial print has a few shall we say "ahem" gaps, How ever that will be remedied with a fully engraved dial in time as will the hands with a bit more schooling. Also the top of the hour wheel and cannon for the hour hand is in for some revision on number 2

I particularly like the finish to the dial as it matches what i was playing with on the crown and winding wheels the pattern i took from and effect that some soldiers make on the top of dress caps with brushes. Also adds a vintage touch in my eye. Once brushed it was gold plated and the print was added (badly) and then lacquered. The movement has been decorated with Pearlage and rotating expanding stripes on the main plate

(Photo before plating)

DSCF0499.jpg

and angular polishing on the sides of the bridges and a flat brushed top finish, Then gold plated to provide some corrosion resistance.

The main thing is that the watch runs really well at plus 3 sec a day and the back lash in the gears once it is taken up by the running of the watch is just a few min in the hour hand and with it (the hand) being so small hardly noticeable.

So just a couple of photos for you all.

DSCF0594.jpg

Please dont look too close at the dial and hands, it is a design try that i like but only at 1% of the quality i am happy with.

I do like the way this looks though

DSCF0598smaller.jpg

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks for posting and please keep us up to date on your beautiful artisan handwork.

It is developing nicely.

I have always liked the regulateur, and wear this rep on the rare full-dress occasion:

post-180-126022583464_thumb.jpg

Carl

I absolutely love it :tu: :tu: :tu:

Don't worry about the imperfections in the dial print, they just add to the vintage look :) Did you do the dial layout yourself? I downloaded a 30 day autoCAD demo and have been working on a dial design all afternoon and evening :D It was awesome to see how you modified the movement, and the finished article is fantastic :victory: