When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Raffle GMT Master IIC Review

jmb

Before I get into this let me first thank our Bro. Lanikai for sacrificing so much of his time to run our RWG raffles and to Josh at Perfect Clones for graciously donating these neat goodies! Although I had paid to become a supporter before this raffle I think having shot at a prize like this alone is more than enough reason to become a paying member of this board - for me it was just "icing on the cake"!!

I received this watch this morning after a long (seemingly) wait that was punctuated with numerous tracking "hangups" - I think the suspense was worse than waiting for my first rep! The first thing I noticed was the weight of the package, it had a good heft to it. The packaging was the usual cardboard box with foam inner box containing the watch wrapped in bubble-wrap. After unwrapping and getting all of (well most of) the protective film off all I could think was, "Wow, this thing is sure shiny!" Enough of my musings, on to the particulars...

The watch feels substantial at 156 gm and overall fit and finish seem quite good. The brushing is uniform and the polishing is to a high luster. If I would fault anything in the finishing it would be some sharp corners on the "flip-lock" on the clasp but these will easily be smoothed with a fine file.

The construction is first-rate, the solid endlinks mate flawlessly with the case, the band center links are perfectly polished, clasp operates smoothly, and the bezel rotates smoothly with a click detent at each hour for a total of 24. The crystal coronet doesn't jump out and slap you in the face like a lot of them do and is only visible under good lighting and proper angle at normal magnification. The only complaint I have about the case quality is the usual ROLEXROLEX... engraving on the rehaut does not line up properly at the 3:00 and 9:00 positions and the 12:00 coronet is also a hair off.

As Lani has already observed about the new "Rolex clone" (decorated) movement it appears to be well finished. Manual winding is as smooth as silk, no ratcheting or any sounds of any kind. The GMT hand is set by rotating the crown opposite of date setting when in the 2d position and the date clicks over nicely at midnight.

Enough yapping so on to the pics!

GMT IIC 1.JPG

GMT IIC 2.JPG

GMT IIC 3.JPG

GMT IIC 4.JPG

GMT IIC 5.JPG

GMT IIC 6.JPG

GMT IIC 7.JPG

GMT IIC coronet 3.JPG

T, thanks, bud. Really is almost too nice - I don't see it getting much wrist time in the shop!

Halo, to be honest it is etched/engraved so lightly it's almost imperceptible unless you get it under some magnification so I'll probably leave well enough alone...

Looks great J

I can almost smell the freshly chopped log.... :1a:

now we wait for my GMTIIC crystal to return from chief.. so I can remove the AR except from under the mag once it is reattached.. :good:

fingers crossed..

congrats again.. maybe you can win the digital camera in our upcoming raffle...

AC/Lani

Lani, although my photography skills are not up to snuff I did finally break down and get a new digital Pentax SLR a couple months ago. I've been using a point-and-shoot camera for so long I've pretty much forgot how to take pictures... :shocking:

Hike, this was compliments of bro Lani and Josh :yahoo: - you know me better than that! :rofl: Don't you keep up with the raffles? B)

T, thanks, bud. Really is almost too nice - I don't see it getting much wrist time in the shop!

Any time, amigo :drinks: As I said in PM, the GMTIIC is one of the only (if not the only) Rolex which impressed me when viewing the gen. Sure, I'm not keen on the ROLEXROLEXROLEX rehaut (unnecessary branding, IMHO) and the polished mid-links are a bit too bling for my taste (I even brushed the mid-links on the DJ to match the outer-links) but overall, when I put it on, I did feel like I was wearing a high-quality timepiece :) A few touches, like some black enamel paint in the clasp engravings, and it'll be perfect :victory: